bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Rotor Egg Drop B [TRIAL]

Post by bernard »

Rotor Egg Drop is a trial event for Division B at the National Tournament at Wright State University in Dayton, OH.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
abby1kanobe
Division: B
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rotor Egg Drop B [TRIAL]

Post by abby1kanobe »

Were can we find rules for this?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

abby1kanobe wrote:Were can we find rules for this?
I presume they will be posted either on the national website or tournament website. If you have past rules, it may be fine to use them initially but do check against rules when they are posted. If you do not have past rules, Helicopter Egg Drop trial event rules on the national website appear similar to Rotor Egg Drop rules from past years.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Adi1008
State: CA

Post by Adi1008 »

abby1kanobe wrote:Were can we find rules for this?
This is quite a while after, but you can find the rules here
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
vb
Been thanked: 0

Post by vb »

How the cup is tied to the rotor? using thread or tape or something else? What arrangements needs to be there on the rotor to hold the cup?
kylg
State: AL

Post by kylg »

Rules can be found on the wright state scioly site. I have several questions about rotor egg drop. I have been sifting through 2012-2014 rotor egg drop forums and I have concluded that most of the answers to how to make a rotor were to redirect someone to the helicopter duration thread and learn how to make a helicopter duration blade and upscale it to meet size requirements. The Problem is, there is no Helicopter duration forum, only helicopter. The Helicopter forum does not tell you how to make a blade. Another question: wouldn't it be better to utilize all the surface area rather than to have a 2 blade helicopter rotor that barely uses all the area? There would be huge gaps in between the blades. How would the thin blades be better than wide blades?
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

kylg wrote:Rules can be found on the wright state scioly site. I have several questions about rotor egg drop. I have been sifting through 2012-2014 rotor egg drop forums and I have concluded that most of the answers to how to make a rotor were to redirect someone to the helicopter duration thread and learn how to make a helicopter duration blade and upscale it to meet size requirements. The Problem is, there is no Helicopter duration forum, only helicopter. The Helicopter forum does not tell you how to make a blade. Another question: wouldn't it be better to utilize all the surface area rather than to have a 2 blade helicopter rotor that barely uses all the area? There would be huge gaps in between the blades. How would the thin blades be better than wide blades?
Managing blade width/number of blades is an important factor in this event. In general, more blades provide more lift but also interact with each other, causing more drag. Since the blades here will be spinning a lot slower than in Helicopters, you would generally want larger/more blades (whereas in Helicopters the speed makes it so that having relatively small blades tends to work better), although the exact amount/sizes is a matter of testing to figure out what works.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
kylg

Post by kylg »

So, Building a helicopter blade that is 15-30 cm wide instead of 5 cm wide could be a place to start testing? Test number of blades and size of gaps until I reach a balance between stability and time? I have seen that gaps between blades aid in stability. My rotor that uses all the surface area might seem stable at 1 floor but if the drop is any higher at nationals, it will start circling and tilting, resulting in me getting tiered.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

kylg wrote:So, Building a helicopter blade that is 15-30 cm wide instead of 5 cm wide could be a place to start testing? Test number of blades and size of gaps until I reach a balance between stability and time? I have seen that gaps between blades aid in stability. My rotor that uses all the surface area might seem stable at 1 floor but if the drop is any higher at nationals, it will start circling and tilting, resulting in me getting tiered.
Sounds like a good plan to me. There's more to the event, but that's about the limit of my knowledge so I can't really say anything more.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
kylg

Post by kylg »

*Questions that have already been answered*
Last edited by kylg on May 14th, 2017, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''

Return to “2017 Build Events”