bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Roller Coaster B [TRIAL]

Post by bernard »

Roller Coaster is a trial event for Division B at the National Tournament at Wright State University in Dayton, OH.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
AbdullahNauman
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Roller Coaster B [TRIAL]

Post by AbdullahNauman »

So, I was looking at the rules for this event at Nationals this year and came across this fairly vague clause. I know that Scioly isn't really the place for official clarifications, but I would just like your opinion on this matter.

As per rule 4.f of the rules posted on Wright State SONT website:
f. The vehicle must travel on all parts of the tracks at most once. No Funnels are allowed.

It's the second part of this that confuses me, as it's open to interpretation. What classifies as a funnel in this case? Traditionally, it's thought of as a truncated cone, however, would moving the vehicle from a larger to smaller(diameter-wise) PVC be considered 'funnelling'?

I'm not exactly sure if this was written to hold any significance, but the same rule(4.f) also states that the vehicle can only travel on one part of the track once time. Which leads me to believe that the Rules Committee was referring to a 'funnel' of this sort to be used a time-consumption device(goo.gl/dxLgOc), where the object would tend to cross the same part of the track more than once.

What's your opinion on this rule? Would the transfer the vehicle from a larger to smaller track be considered the act of 'funnelling' and out of specs?
Division B - Paul J. Gelinas:
Hovercraft - Nationals - 5th Place
Roller Coaster - Nationals - 3rd Place
--
Anatomy & Physiology
Mission Possible
Air Trajectory
RoboCross
Bottle Rocket
Fast Facts
Microbe Mission
---
Division C - Ward Melville:
TBD
---
Personal Website
Google+
kylg
State: AL

Post by kylg »

No, if it is small. They must be trying to counter the fact that people are using funnels to get their coasters to circle around, using up more time with less height, maximizing height bonus. They probably mean an actual funnel.
There is something I would need clarification, as when I contacted the national site to clarify my question, it must have been too specific and uncommon to address. In the rule sheet, it states the base of the roller coaster must be 6.0 cm or thinner. My base wooden boards are 2 cm thick but I have 4 wheels underneath that are each 5 cm tall. When added, it makes 7 cm, which goes over the limit. Do the wheels count as part of the base? And if so, how else will I be able to easily move my coaster if there are no wheels underneath?
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
wlsguy
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Post by wlsguy »

My opinion only on the use of funnels. Since the roller coaster (I.e. Ball) must be removable from the track perpendicular at any point, a funnel cannot be used. It ends with a closed tube and the ball cannot be removed according to the rules. The act of funneling from a larger to smaller part of the track would be OK as long as the ball can be removed perpendicular.
kylg

Post by kylg »

About how long will a reply from the nationals website take if I submitted a question a few days ago? Just to be sure, it's this page right?: https://www.wright.edu/event/science-ol ... contact-us
Also, If anyone knows if wheels count as part of base height I would appreciate the help.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

kylg wrote:About how long will a reply from the nationals website take if I submitted a question a few days ago? Just to be sure, it's this page right?: https://www.wright.edu/event/science-ol ... contact-us
Also, If anyone knows if wheels count as part of base height I would appreciate the help.
It really depends. Everyone is very busy with last minute preparations. If it's a specific to a trial event, you might not get a reply at all at this point since we generally don't issue clarifications for trial events.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

kylg wrote:And if so, how else will I be able to easily move my coaster if there are no wheels underneath?
A lot of people carry their rollercoasters

Unofficial opinion: I don't think an event proctor would count wheels as part of the base thickness
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
reed303

Post by reed303 »

Adi1008 wrote:
kylg wrote:And if so, how else will I be able to easily move my coaster if there are no wheels underneath?
A lot of people carry their rollercoasters

Unofficial opinion: I don't think an event proctor would count wheels as part of the base thickness
Could you make the wheels removable, at setup time ?
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
kylg

Post by kylg »

I could... but since I used roofing nails to nail in the 4 corners of the caster wheel, I would need to flip my already built coaster on its side (which might damage some of the tall pillars), lever out the nails, drill holes where the nail holes are, and screw screws in. I guess I had to walk this path eventually, but at the time, I didn't consider that the wheels might count.
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

I have never done a build, but I'm thinking about doing this event next year. Any pointers?
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.

Return to “2017 Build Events”