Experimental Design B/C

Panda Weasley
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: IMPORTANT question on what to bring

Post by Panda Weasley »

Sasstiel wrote:
geniusjohn5 wrote:Is it allowed to bring some notes to the Experimental design event? or no?
You aren't allowed any notes.
Just out of curiosity, what notes would you bring?
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
BrS
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by BrS »

Does anyone happen to know the raw score for 1st place ExpDes at MIT 2017? Or are we not allowed to know?
geniusjohn5

Post by geniusjohn5 »

Panda Weasley wrote:
Sasstiel wrote:
geniusjohn5 wrote:Is it allowed to bring some notes to the Experimental design event? or no?
You aren't allowed any notes.
I was thinking about bringing a copy of the rubric plus a list of tips for experimental design.
The biologist speculates, "What's the meaning of life?"
The physicist asks, "In the universe, does matter really matter?"
The chemist replies, "I shall find solutions to both questions."
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

geniusjohn5 wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote:
Sasstiel wrote: You aren't allowed any notes.
I was thinking about bringing a copy of the rubric plus a list of tips for experimental design.
I think that would make the event useless, seeing as whoever wins is essentially whoever knows the rubric the best.
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

awesome90220 wrote:I think that would make the event useless, seeing as whoever wins is essentially whoever knows the rubric the best.
That's not necessarily true. There are many event sups. who give some form of the rubric with the test. I'm not saying that this is common, but I know I've had at least one conversation about it on one of these threads (which one I can't remember...whoops) and it seemed at least not unheard of. While it does make it a little easier, memorizing the rubric isn't everything. It's also about how well you can use the rubric. Someone could potentially have the rubric completely memorized yet get a very low score. It's all about the application and how well you use your time.
And I want to be clear, I'm not trying to tell you that your opinion is invalid. I just want to show the other side. I personally feel that even with the rubric the event can be very challenging. This also, of course, depends on how well it's run. I do see how at the National level it could make the event too easy.
DFTBA!
nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by nejanimb »

BrS wrote:Does anyone happen to know the raw score for 1st place ExpDes at MIT 2017? Or are we not allowed to know?
If I recall, I think it was a 111? I do definitely remember that there was significant room for improvement even among the top labs!
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)
jgrischow1
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

jgrischow1 wrote:What is the definition of "ruler"? Are meter sticks allowed?
https://www.soinc.org/reference-may-bri ... re-be-used

"Yes, a meter stick or tape measure may be used. All of the definitions found for ruler follow the Definition of Ruler by Merriam-Webster (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ruler) ... 2 : a straight strip (as of plastic, wood, or metal) with a smooth edge that is marked off in units and used for measuring or as a guide in drawing straight lines. Please note the definition requires a straight strip, it does not indicate min. or max. lengths."
masterm

Post by masterm »

Could someone please provide an example of the condensed table? I am confused on how it should be set up. I have read that it should be a single-column table with only the averages, is this correct? If you are not directly graphing your independent variable (i.e. you're graphing a calculated value), what goes in the condensed data table? Please attach an example!
InDistress
State: CA

Post by InDistress »

I was wondering if there is a good way to decrease the amount of time it takes? Not just to conduct the experiment, but the whole event.
DFTBA CVMS
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

masterm wrote:Could someone please provide an example of the condensed table? I am confused on how it should be set up. I have read that it should be a single-column table with only the averages, is this correct? If you are not directly graphing your independent variable (i.e. you're graphing a calculated value), what goes in the condensed data table? Please attach an example!
I'd like to help, but I don't know what you are referring to.
InDistress wrote:I was wondering if there is a good way to decrease the amount of time it takes? Not just to conduct the experiment, but the whole event.
Practice. Practice. Practice.

If your group isn't already doing this, divide the tasks among yourselves. For example Person A can be writing the procedure while Person B is setting up the experiment and Person C is making the data table. It makes things go much quicker so you are less crammed for time at the very end.

If there is a specific section of the event that you feel is taking too much time practice doing that one part over and over with different scenarios. Try to identify why it's taking so long and make a plan to decrease the time needed.

I hope this helps! Welcome to the forums!
DFTBA!

Return to “2017 Lab Events”