Experimental Design B/C

masterm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by masterm »

Panda Weasley wrote:
masterm wrote:Could someone please provide an example of the condensed table? I am confused on how it should be set up. I have read that it should be a single-column table with only the averages, is this correct? If you are not directly graphing your independent variable (i.e. you're graphing a calculated value), what goes in the condensed data table? Please attach an example!
I'd like to help, but I don't know what you are referring to.
In the official rubric, under quantitative data (Section H), one line states "Condensed table containing most important data." What is this condensed table they are talking about? How should it be set up and look like?
InDistress
Division: B
State: CA

Post by InDistress »

Marlen1356 wrote:My group is new to this since it was just added to our region. Should we select a leader? And how should you do the graphs? I know the experiments are physics based so is there anything else i need to know? Thanks :P
I find it best to divide the sections evenly, or according to best ability and time, but your group should be able to be very versatile, so if necessary each member could complete the event alone. Working as a group would save time, but if a member knows the event better than the rest of the group, it would be a good idea to select them as a (temporary?) leader. Do the graphs with a line of best fit. Make sure to know 8th grade-high school basic science, and know how to write an experiment.
DFTBA CVMS
Ashernoel
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

So my school has a problem where every year we bomb expd at nats and we never can figure out why. Usually at mit and other invitationals Expd is one of our stronger events. Anyone know if the national coordinator for expd grades differently or something? It's really puzzling and cocerning :/...
NT '19
Harvard '23
kathrynpereira
State: MI

Post by kathrynpereira »

Hello everyone, sorry for the long post. I have a few questions about the rubric and scoring:

1. For our statement of problem we say something along the lines of "Which (three levels of IV) will result in the greatest/least change in the DV?" (We include units for both the IV and the DV) We have not always gotten full credit for not having a yes no question
2. We struggle to have qualitative observations throughout the experiment and results not directly related to the DV
3. We also have issues with the condensed table. My partner creates a separate table with the mean, median, mode, range, and standard deviation for each of the three levels of the IV that we test. We never get credit for the condensed table but I'm not entirely sure why.
4. At an invitational, we were graded down for not explaining why something was an outlier. However, there's not a mathematical way (that I know of) to prove it when we only do three trials. Any suggestions?
sciencepeeps
Division: C
State: IL

Post by sciencepeeps »

kathrynpereira wrote:Hello everyone, sorry for the long post. I have a few questions about the rubric and scoring:

1. For our statement of problem we say something along the lines of "Which (three levels of IV) will result in the greatest/least change in the DV?" (We include units for both the IV and the DV) We have not always gotten full credit for not having a yes no question
2. We struggle to have qualitative observations throughout the experiment and results not directly related to the DV
3. We also have issues with the condensed table. My partner creates a separate table with the mean, median, mode, range, and standard deviation for each of the three levels of the IV that we test. We never get credit for the condensed table but I'm not entirely sure why.
4. At an invitational, we were graded down for not explaining why something was an outlier. However, there's not a mathematical way (that I know of) to prove it when we only do three trials. Any suggestions?
Let me try to help.
1. You might have been getting points off because your statement of problem had a definite answer. Usually, statement of problem is structured in a "How will IV affect the DV" sort of way.
2. Qualitative observations are just things that you see. If you give how it affected the data, then it should be in the experimental errors section.
3. It seems like your partner is completing the statistics section when stating mean, median, mode, etc. The condensed data table is a part of the quantitative observations sheet that only states the mean or average. In this way, it is a condensed summary of your results.
4. An outlier is something that does not really follow the trend observed, so if in your data for an individual level if IV you get 3,4 and 8, the 8 might be an outlier.
18/19 Anatomy, Boomilever, widi

17/18 region/state/nation
Anatomy (2/6/-)
Mystery Architecture (-/2/-)
Towers (3/2/3)
Invitationals: 38
Regionals:11
State:6
Nationals:1
brayden box
State: NY

Post by brayden box »

kathrynpereira wrote:Hello everyone, sorry for the long post. I have a few questions about the rubric and scoring:

Maybe this will help, I don't know if you already do it. When you do your statistics, you are supposed to show an example for your work. For example, for mean, show all data points added together over 3. For median, put all data points together in order, circle middle. We used to have points taken off before we started doing this.
BBOX
brayden box

Post by brayden box »

For mean, i did that wrong. I meant add up all of them over 9.
BBOX
brayden box

Post by brayden box »

Also, to say why something is an outlier, just try saying like, 8 doesn't fit in a good range with 4 and 3.
BBOX
kathrynpereira
State: MI

Post by kathrynpereira »

brayden box wrote:

Maybe this will help, I don't know if you already do it. When you do your statistics, you are supposed to show an example for your work. For example, for mean, show all data points added together over 3. For median, put all data points together in order, circle middle. We used to have points taken off before we started doing this.
We don't have an issue with the statistics section. We typically show the mean for the three trials of one of the IV levels and the same for the median, mode, range, and standard deviation.
_deltaV
Division: C
State: FL

Post by _deltaV »

For those of you that don't know the National ExpD supervisor is a little weird to say the least. I think we're all used to testing scientific principles like Hooke's Law or Snell's Law that produce a nice linear, exponential or other type of line graph. At nationals last year the topic was like food science or something involving food and the supervisor said she was looking for a non-line graph, like a bar graph. She basically wanted qualitative data press fit into a graph with materials that would have easily provided a linear relationship. Terrible way to run an event given the parameters, defeats the purpose of a lot of the sections and reduces the event to something middle schoolers would do.
Boca Raton High School
- Helicopters - Microbe Mission
- Chem Lab - Experimental Design

"Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down." -Adam Savage

Return to “2017 Lab Events”