Experimental Design B/C

OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

This might seem like a really pointless question, but could we use the TI-NSpire calculator? My concern is that it does allow one to use notes, unless it was activated on test mode, where it locks you from using notes. I don't know if the supervisor would allow the use of it or not. :-/
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:This might seem like a really pointless question, but could we use the TI-NSpire calculator? My concern is that it does allow one to use notes, unless it was activated on test mode, where it locks you from using notes. I don't know if the supervisor would allow the use of it or not. :-/
If you look on the 2016-17 division B rules manual, it says that you can use "any kind of calculator" under "EVENT PARAMETERS." It should be the same of division C. It isn't prohibited, but it might be considered as a violation of the spirit of the problem. The safest thing to do would be to ask the event supervisor. If he/she doesn't allow the notes part, then you may consider asking him/her to watch you turn test mode on or do it himself. Either way, don't risk it. It's not worth possibly getting DQ'ed over it.
Uber
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Uber »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:This might seem like a really pointless question, but could we use the TI-NSpire calculator? My concern is that it does allow one to use notes, unless it was activated on test mode, where it locks you from using notes. I don't know if the supervisor would allow the use of it or not. :-/
Yes you can. I used one at nationals and every other competition.
Harvard '22
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '18
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

The rules say "any kind of calculator" but do not explicitly mention a prohibition on notes - hence, from a strict reading of the event rules only, there is nothing preventing the use of calculators of that type. However, as dxu46 noted, they could violate the "spirit of the problem" clause in General Rule 1, depending on your event supervisor's interpretation.

I would recommend bringing in a backup calculator (something more definitively allowable) and asking the event supervisor beforehand whether you can use the TI-NSpire; if you find out ahead of time you can just use the backup, but if the event supervisor discovers it during the competition and decides that it's disallowed you are more likely to have to deal with a significant penalty, including possibly disqualification.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2017 Lab Events”