Experimental Design B/C

Panda Weasley
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by Panda Weasley »

Marlen1356 wrote:My group is new to this since it was just added to our region. Should we select a leader? And how should you do the graphs? I know the experiments are physics based so is there anything else i need to know? Thanks :P
If choosing a leader is what makes the most sense for your group, then yes. Some groups work better with a leader, others don't.
You should chose graph type based on your data. For example, if your data shows a trend over time you'd want to use a line graph. For IVs unrelated to each other you'd want to use a bar graph.
Most experiments are physics based, but there is also some basic chemistry sometimes. You shouldn't need more than 7th grade science for B. I didn't compete in C so I'm not 100% sure, but you shouldn't need more than standard chem and physics.

Hope this helped. Good luck!
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
Marlen1356
Been thanked: 0

Post by Marlen1356 »

Panda Weasley wrote:
Marlen1356 wrote:My group is new to this since it was just added to our region. Should we select a leader? And how should you do the graphs? I know the experiments are physics based so is there anything else i need to know? Thanks :P
If choosing a leader is what makes the most sense for your group, then yes. Some groups work better with a leader, others don't.
You should chose graph type based on your data. For example, if your data shows a trend over time you'd want to use a line graph. For IVs unrelated to each other you'd want to use a bar graph.
Most experiments are physics based, but there is also some basic chemistry sometimes. You shouldn't need more than 7th grade science for B. I didn't compete in C so I'm not 100% sure, but you shouldn't need more than standard chem and physics.

Hope this helped. Good luck!
Thanks so much :)
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

19sawickin wrote:Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to do for "different ways to approach hypothesis" in the "applications" section? The scioly page gives an example of testing a parachute with varying masses I believe, and said that using a computer simulation is an example of approaching the hypothesis from a different angle. I've used this idea at a few invitationals as well as state tournaments, and it has never been a problem. However, at the Cornell invitational, my team received 2's in everything, and a 0 for this section, and no explanation was provided. We performed an experiment to determine the relationship between the volume of water in a constant sized beaker, and the amount of time it took for a drop of dye to reach the bottom of the beaker. In my questioned area, I more or less said that a different way to approach our hypothesis would be to use a computer simulation to take into account the surface tension of water as well as the dye, and provide more constant conditions. I literally said "a different way to approach our hypothesis is to..." so it was definitely present, meaning my example must not have been valid? What could I have done instead?
Although this is a bit late, I feel like I'll feel better receiving an answer to a question if I answer one.

From reading what you put in your experiment, it seems to me as though that would be an improvement you have, or "suggestions for improvement of specific experiment given." I think the proctors are looking for a different experiment, but not necessarily completely different. An example of this would be to change your medium to a more viscous liquid to see if the trend of volume of liquid still applies. Hope this helped :)

Soooo my question:
It seems to me as though statistics don't really make any sense in experimental design. While the mean, median, mode, range, and line of best fit are all represented through the trials, I don't understand how you can use other measures of variation. Like someone said before, the easiest experiments to do are ones in which both the IV and DV are correlated and infinitely adjustable, so I wouldn't see the benefits of including a histograph or frequency table. Unless I'm just really slow at competitions, generally only 3 trials of 3 IVs are done, and if I remember correctly standard deviation needs at least 5 data points, as does IQR. Is it worth it to do 2 extra trials for each of the three levels of the independent variable just to get more statistics? Thanks!!!
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
Sasstiel
State: IL

Post by Sasstiel »

awesome90220 wrote:
19sawickin wrote:Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to do for "different ways to approach hypothesis" in the "applications" section? The scioly page gives an example of testing a parachute with varying masses I believe, and said that using a computer simulation is an example of approaching the hypothesis from a different angle. I've used this idea at a few invitationals as well as state tournaments, and it has never been a problem. However, at the Cornell invitational, my team received 2's in everything, and a 0 for this section, and no explanation was provided. We performed an experiment to determine the relationship between the volume of water in a constant sized beaker, and the amount of time it took for a drop of dye to reach the bottom of the beaker. In my questioned area, I more or less said that a different way to approach our hypothesis would be to use a computer simulation to take into account the surface tension of water as well as the dye, and provide more constant conditions. I literally said "a different way to approach our hypothesis is to..." so it was definitely present, meaning my example must not have been valid? What could I have done instead?
Although this is a bit late, I feel like I'll feel better receiving an answer to a question if I answer one.

From reading what you put in your experiment, it seems to me as though that would be an improvement you have, or "suggestions for improvement of specific experiment given." I think the proctors are looking for a different experiment, but not necessarily completely different. An example of this would be to change your medium to a more viscous liquid to see if the trend of volume of liquid still applies. Hope this helped :)

Soooo my question:
It seems to me as though statistics don't really make any sense in experimental design. While the mean, median, mode, range, and line of best fit are all represented through the trials, I don't understand how you can use other measures of variation. Like someone said before, the easiest experiments to do are ones in which both the IV and DV are correlated and infinitely adjustable, so I wouldn't see the benefits of including a histograph or frequency table. Unless I'm just really slow at competitions, generally only 3 trials of 3 IVs are done, and if I remember correctly standard deviation needs at least 5 data points, as does IQR. Is it worth it to do 2 extra trials for each of the three levels of the independent variable just to get more statistics? Thanks!!!
This is a great point. At invitationals, my team and I usually do 4-5 tests, but maybe we are just really fast. :D For example, at one invitational, the topic was sound, so we tested different materials to determine the different sounds. It was just a simple experiment, so we had enough time to do 4 trials. My motto for Exp Des is "Keep it simple, stupid!" (Not saying that you are stupid - you're in SO!) Hope this helps!
DFTBA!
Exp Des, Wind, Food, and Bottle
jgrischow1
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

What is the definition of "ruler"? Are meter sticks allowed?
Sasstiel

Post by Sasstiel »

jgrischow1 wrote:What is the definition of "ruler"? Are meter sticks allowed?
I shouldn't think that you'd need a meter stick...12 inch rulers should be all you need.
DFTBA!
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

Sasstiel wrote:
jgrischow1 wrote:What is the definition of "ruler"? Are meter sticks allowed?
I shouldn't think that you'd need a meter stick...12 inch rulers should be all you need.
If there is an experiment that requires a meter stick it will be provided by the event leaders with the other materials.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
geniusjohn5

IMPORTANT question on what to bring

Post by geniusjohn5 »

Is it allowed to bring some notes to the Experimental design event? or no?
The biologist speculates, "What's the meaning of life?"
The physicist asks, "In the universe, does matter really matter?"
The chemist replies, "I shall find solutions to both questions."
Sasstiel

Re: IMPORTANT question on what to bring

Post by Sasstiel »

geniusjohn5 wrote:Is it allowed to bring some notes to the Experimental design event? or no?
You aren't allowed any notes.
DFTBA!
CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA

Re: IMPORTANT question on what to bring

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

Sasstiel wrote:
geniusjohn5 wrote:Is it allowed to bring some notes to the Experimental design event? or no?
You aren't allowed any notes.
I agree.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

Return to “2017 Lab Events”