Game On C

Macgyver
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Game On C

Post by Macgyver »

Anyone know the coding for Wall and Sprite Sensors?
Moses Lake High School Wiki:
2016-17- Chem Lab (4th), Write It Do It, Game On, WiFi Lab
2017-18- Hovercraft, Mousetrap Vehicle, Thermodynamics (2nd)
Go Washington!
AznPr0d1gy
State: TX

Post by AznPr0d1gy »

Skink wrote:I don't see much strategic value in the template game approach because template games hit the basic game components well but not so much depth of knowledge with the given topic. Put another way, it's easy to tell which teams learned to make one game and shoehorn it onto whatever topic they were given. It might work, and...it might not.
Whether it works or not depends on actual quality code. I know for a fact I've been using a general template and consistently scoring top 5 in competitions like MiT and Berkeley.
couragecat
State: NY

Post by couragecat »

What topics did you guys get for regionals? We got thermodynamics
schist99centz
State: PA

Post by schist99centz »

1. "Buttons used to access other screens/options". Do keys count as buttons? Some proctors have given me 0 points for this.
2. On the explained rubric for the "coding is efficient" section, it says "No overlapping of code". Does this mean I can't use the same scripts for different sprites or does it mean the code just literally can't overlap with another section? Or does it mean something else?
3. For the "science of theme" section, how should I explain this to the proctor? I've been putting the scientific explanations and principles in my comments for invitationals but I always get 6/12 on this section.

Thanks In Advance
kenniky
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

schist99centz wrote:1. "Buttons used to access other screens/options". Do keys count as buttons? Some proctors have given me 0 points for this.
1. No. Last year rubric said keys/buttons, they removed keys this year so it probably has to be a button object

can't really answer the other two but this one I can.
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

I believe #2 is spatial, not functional. Graphical programmers make a big stink about (what's the adverbial form of ugly?) uglily-arranged code. Even if functional, it can't be reliably read by anyone else or the original programmer 6mo later.

For #3, show; don't tell! It's arbitrary, but trust that the supervisor has enough content area expertise and creativity to 'get' whatever you're driving at. Well, if you want to do some gentle telling, the instructions are an opportunity for that without getting long-winded or heavy-handed.
BananaPirate
State: OH

Post by BananaPirate »

Skink wrote:I believe #2 is spatial, not functional. Graphical programmers make a big stink about (what's the adverbial form of ugly?) uglily-arranged code. Even if functional, it can't be reliably read by anyone else or the original programmer 6mo later.

For #3, show; don't tell! It's arbitrary, but trust that the supervisor has enough content area expertise and creativity to 'get' whatever you're driving at. Well, if you want to do some gentle telling, the instructions are an opportunity for that without getting long-winded or heavy-handed.
Actually, I think the "no overlapping code" part does mean functional.
First off, the subtitle is "Coding is efficient" which in my mind means that you aren't repeatedly using roundabout ways to get something done when there is clearly an easier solution. Also, the sub section has 4 points. 2 are for "no overlapping of code" and 2 are for "all code must be individually visible". It wouldn't make sense to award all 4 points for just having the code not overlap. Also there would be no need for 2 different descriptions then. In terms of spatial order and organization, the subsection above titled "Elements are Logically Grouped and Organized" already covers that.
Also, I think the understanding of the code by others is what logical ordering and comments are for.

I have another question though. Do you guys usually get points for advanced user controlled sprite movement if you have diagonal movement? It's really easy to incorporate, and I don't think the proctors I've had count it.
schist99centz
State: PA

Post by schist99centz »

I usually get 4 points in that section. 3 for movement complexity and 1 for sprite orientation. I use diagonal movement also so either I don't get the point from that or I lose a point because my sprite's movement apparently isn't smooth.

How do you guys get your points in graphics? I always get 6/12 points on this section. I've been told to draw all of my sprites but is there more to it than just that?
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Yeah, I concede that possibility. It doesn't, really, matter, because you shouldn't be "overlapping" in either manner :P .

Advanced movement is game-dependent. Showing off that you know how to do this or that won't impress someone if it's shoehorned in there. And, I don't see too many games that would benefit from this versus a responsive WASD configuration.

I'm not touching graphics...
AznPr0d1gy
State: TX

Post by AznPr0d1gy »

You can get full points in complexity of movement by implementing acceleration and nice collision detection. Although it takes around 6-8 minutes to implement both entirely since the code is quite complicated (involves 2 different variables, and a few purple blocks for modulating).

Return to “2017 Lab Events”