bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Hydrogeology C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
smurphy00
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydrogeology C

Post by smurphy00 »

New to Hydro...the contaminant table says for regional competitions, you only have to know the categories. Is this true? Does it mean we only need to have general info on the categories, and don't need to know about the specific contaminants for regional competitions?
Herpetology / Ecology / Towers / Forensics / Microbe Mission
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

smurphy00 wrote:New to Hydro...the contaminant table says for regional competitions, you only have to know the categories. Is this true? Does it mean we only need to have general info on the categories, and don't need to know about the specific contaminants for regional competitions?
It is supposed to be true, but keep in mind that event supervisors do not always adhere to the rules. I recently attended an invitational where we only had to know the category (it was VOCs). I would strongly suggest having information about all contaminants, even if it is just as brief as "X remediation strategy works for this contaminant".

I have reached a point in studying for this event where I am not sure what else I need to learn/add to my cheatsheet. Does anyone have advice on how to approach the "Which wells are at risk for contamination?" questions in Part 3? Any obscure things you guys think are worth putting on cheatsheets?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
Orion66
State: GA

Post by Orion66 »

SOnerd wrote:
smurphy00 wrote:New to Hydro...the contaminant table says for regional competitions, you only have to know the categories. Is this true? Does it mean we only need to have general info on the categories, and don't need to know about the specific contaminants for regional competitions?
It is supposed to be true, but keep in mind that event supervisors do not always adhere to the rules. I recently attended an invitational where we only had to know the category (it was VOCs). I would strongly suggest having information about all contaminants, even if it is just as brief as "X remediation strategy works for this contaminant".

I have reached a point in studying for this event where I am not sure what else I need to learn/add to my cheatsheet. Does anyone have advice on how to approach the "Which wells are at risk for contamination?" questions in Part 3? Any obscure things you guys think are worth putting on cheatsheets?

Well, a good thing to include on your cheatsheet for higher level tournament could include:

All the different equations and their forms, the specific porosities, transmisstivities, yields, etc. of certain rocks.
Chattahoochee High School

"Don't bother me. I'm busy conserving energy, momentum, and angular momentum"

2016: Bridges | Air Trajectory | Hydrogeology
2017: Towers | Helicopters | Hydrogeology
2018: Towers | Helicopters | Mousetrap Vehicle, Hovercraft
HandsFreeCookieDunk
State: PA

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk »

Does anyone know how you are intended to solve the "Determine the distance Y" in the gradient step of the challenge? I see a series of calculations involving a system of equations and the law of cosines that will lead to the answer, but that seems really complicated compared to the simple calculations from the earlier steps.
Lumitailz

Post by Lumitailz »

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:Does anyone know how you are intended to solve the "Determine the distance Y" in the gradient step of the challenge? I see a series of calculations involving a system of equations and the law of cosines that will lead to the answer, but that seems really complicated compared to the simple calculations from the earlier steps.
I think there's a clickable button that says "reveal distance y" :D
HandsFreeCookieDunk
State: PA

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk »

Lumitailz wrote:
HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:Does anyone know how you are intended to solve the "Determine the distance Y" in the gradient step of the challenge? I see a series of calculations involving a system of equations and the law of cosines that will lead to the answer, but that seems really complicated compared to the simple calculations from the earlier steps.
Oh, that will still be there at the actual competition? I've never done this event before and I assumed that all the help was only for the practice site. Thanks.
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:
Lumitailz wrote:
Oh, that will still be there at the actual competition? I've never done this event before and I assumed that all the help was only for the practice site. Thanks.
You should theoretically be able to use trig to solve for it, however the scaled size of the map on the computer makes all the calculations wrong. Thus, at competitions they give you Y.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
jakool6
State: OH

Post by jakool6 »

Will Hydro be an event next year? #GreatEvent
Unome

Post by Unome »

jakool6 wrote:Will Hydro be an event next year? #GreatEvent
Currently not. Fermi Questions is expected to rotate in (for some reason they're keeping Game On over Hydrogeo).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2017 Lab Events”