Wiki Moderator
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fast Facts B

Post by NeilMehta »

fast__facts wrote:Anybody know what state/nationals tests will be like? There doesn't seem to be any super reasonable yet difficult categories, anybody have ideas?

Like I think I heard Fast Facts will try and select categories related to aspects of ALL the other events, so like from building events would they be like: alloys, or hovercraft materials, etc.?

Thanks!
If this helps, fast facts writers love to test on the following topics events:
Anatomy
Dynamic Planet
Invasive Species
Meteorology
Reach for the Stars
Rocks and Minerals
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
snorrio
Division: B
State: CA

Post by snorrio »

Scientific Dragon wrote:I have found a good program for memorization called anki. The url is at https://apps.ankiweb.net/. You could make the front category letter and the back the answer. For example, the front of the card could be "scientific name a" and the back "Marie Curie."
I say just use quizlet, I have over 330 terms in a quizlet and it only took maybe half a week to complete.
Kraemer/Regionals/State

Diseases- 14/1/?

Roads- 22/2/?
fast__facts

Post by fast__facts »

NeilMehta wrote:
fast__facts wrote:Anybody know what state/nationals tests will be like? There doesn't seem to be any super reasonable yet difficult categories, anybody have ideas?

Like I think I heard Fast Facts will try and select categories related to aspects of ALL the other events, so like from building events would they be like: alloys, or hovercraft materials, etc.?

Thanks!
Anatomy
Dynamic Planet
Invasive Species
Meteorology
Reach for the Stars
Rocks and Minerals

Thanks! I just hope they cycle around all of the events to cover a broader range of topics represented from each event (including build events), it just widens everyone's information, and is more helpful than if they just drill you on a say win-lose cutthroat "Nobel Prize Chemistry Winner from the 1968" or such.
SPP SciO
Division: B

Post by SPP SciO »

Unsolicited advice after helping to score this event at a regional tournament: make the judges work! It sounds obvious, but since there's no penalty for guessing, fill in every blank! The majority of papers had some blanks, but credit was given for several outside-the-box answers that stretched the category somewhat. Once you write down a word, the burden is on the panel of judges to discredit you, most of whom are good people who want to see students succeed in their efforts (especially if the categories are vague enough). For example, instead of puzzling over a V word for Ecology for the last 30 seconds, write down "vulture" real quick and let the judges debate its merits - you never know how they'll look at it.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

fast__facts wrote:
NeilMehta wrote:

Thanks!
Anatomy
Dynamic Planet
Invasive Species
Meteorology
Reach for the Stars
Rocks and Minerals

Thanks! I just hope they cycle around all of the events to cover a broader range of topics represented from each event (including build events), it just widens everyone's information, and is more helpful than if they just drill you on a say win-lose cutthroat "Nobel Prize Chemistry Winner from the 1968" or such.
Now that you mention it, that would make a pretty good tiebreaker

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
fast__facts

Post by fast__facts »

NeilMehta wrote:
fast__facts wrote:
NeilMehta wrote: If this helps, fast facts writers love to test on the following topics events:
Anatomy
Dynamic Planet
Invasive Species
Meteorology
Reach for the Stars
Rocks and Minerals

Lol I think we have about 9 criteria to consider for tiebreakers already on the rules
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

fast__facts wrote:
NeilMehta wrote:
fast__facts wrote:

Lol I think we have about 9 criteria to consider for tiebreakers already on the rules
(viewtopic.php?f=226&t=9282&start=30)

gillio
State: PA

Post by gillio »

Back to the question about bacteria types: Would writing down bacteria genera work instead of bacteria morphologies ?
For example:
acidobacteria
bacteroides
cyanobacteria
dictyoglomi
2019 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Water Quality and Herpetology :)
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Because the category is broad, either approach would work (provided the ES--and his or her graders--understood what you meant!). I think it's a bad category, though it doesn't hurt to have some canned answers prepared.
fast__facts

Post by fast__facts »

gillio wrote:Back to the question about bacteria types: Would writing down bacteria genera work instead of bacteria morphologies ?
For example:
acidobacteria
bacteroides
cyanobacteria
dictyoglomi

Canned answers take wayyy to long, what we do is just give the event to people who take a general science test and score highest, that way they know a lot

Return to “2017 Lab Events”