Fast Facts B

gillio
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fast Facts B

Post by gillio »

For organisms like birds, mammals et cetera, do we need to know common names or scientific names? :?:
2019 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Water Quality and Herpetology :)
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NeilMehta »

gillio wrote:For organisms like birds, mammals et cetera, do we need to know common names or scientific names? :?:
They should accept both if they don't specify that they require one or the other
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

However, I can't foresee any scenario where you'd actually need scientific names or other taxa. Possibly animal phyla, but that's the extent of it...
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

Skink wrote:However, I can't foresee any scenario where you'd actually need scientific names or other taxa. Possibly animal phyla, but that's the extent of it...
On the other hand, they can always ask about taxonomic ranks themselves, although that is wayyy less common.

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
gillio
State: PA

Post by gillio »

For a category like fossils, what do test administrators expect? :?:
2019 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Water Quality and Herpetology :)
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

gillio wrote:For a category like fossils, what do test administrators expect? :?:
This could help :P
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... -10-15.pdf

x323vertigo
Division: B
State: GA

Post by x323vertigo »

NeilMehta wrote:
gillio wrote:For a category like fossils, what do test administrators expect? :?:
This could help :P
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... -10-15.pdf
ah yes the fossils list
Scientific Dragon

Post by Scientific Dragon »

Here is what I am doing now to prepare over the summer for this event. First, I(and my coach) try to think of as many categories as possible that are most likely to be on the test, organize the information into a google drive folder, and to study I use a program called anki at https://apps.ankiweb.net/. This program a) is based on science to help one memorize things faster and b) keeps track of what I know. My flashcards I put on it look like "Human Organ A" and things like that. You can find a lot more about anki online but it is extremely useful for this.
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

So at my state tournament, we had simple categories such as insects, mammals, and dinosaurs. Does anybody know if the category difficulty will increase,and if so, by how much?
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Tailsfan101 wrote:So at my state tournament, we had simple categories such as insects, mammals, and dinosaurs. Does anybody know if the category difficulty will increase,and if so, by how much?
Also, we had a very general category called "5-Letter Science Terms". What do test administrators expect for this?
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.

Return to “2017 Lab Events”