Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Fast Facts B

Post by Skink »

crimebuster1 wrote:if two teams got every single point (750) what would be the tiebreaker?
Supervisors won't design their tables permitting this outcome because the only solutions are bad ones.
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Been thanked: 0

Post by NeilMehta »

Skink wrote:
crimebuster1 wrote:if two teams got every single point (750) what would be the tiebreaker?
Supervisors won't design their tables permitting this outcome because the only solutions are bad ones.
hypothetically if this were to occur then the manual offers no rules on a tiebreaker
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

That's my point. There can't be ties, so they'll conjure up a way to break them really quickly. None of the ways I can think of to do that are good.
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

Skink wrote:That's my point. There can't be ties, so they'll conjure up a way to break them really quickly. None of the ways I can think of to do that are good.
Maybe they would use a (very difficult) tiebreaker?

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

NeilMehta wrote:
Skink wrote:That's my point. There can't be ties, so they'll conjure up a way to break them really quickly. None of the ways I can think of to do that are good.
Maybe they would use a (very difficult) tiebreaker?
Stuff I can think of off the top of my head, in order of how much it makes sense:
- Spelling errors
- Completeness of person names
- "Uniqueness" of answers (see how it's starting to get a little sketchy?)
- Neatness of handwriting
- Darkness of ink :P
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Scientific Dragon

Post by Scientific Dragon »

I have found a good program for memorization called anki. The url is at https://apps.ankiweb.net/. You could make the front category letter and the back the answer. For example, the front of the card could be "scientific name a" and the back "Marie Curie."
gillio
State: PA

Post by gillio »

One of the categories at my regional competition was bacteria types. I'm trying to look it up but bacteria can be classified by different means. Anybody have any idea what the administrator might be asking for? :?
2019 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Water Quality and Herpetology :)
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

gillio wrote:One of the categories at my regional competition was bacteria types. I'm trying to look it up but bacteria can be classified by different means. Anybody have any idea what the administrator might be asking for? :?
I had gotten Bacteria Types at my regionals as well, though i didn't really know what it meant, so i just put some stuff down and hoped for the best (got 2nd though)
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

Anomaly wrote:
gillio wrote:One of the categories at my regional competition was bacteria types. I'm trying to look it up but bacteria can be classified by different means. Anybody have any idea what the administrator might be asking for? :?
I had gotten Bacteria Types at my regionals as well, though i didn't really know what it meant, so i just put some stuff down and hoped for the best (got 2nd though)
I'd say theyr'e probably looking for bacteria morphologies
http://classes.midlandstech.edu/carterp ... cture2.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacterial ... rphologies

fast__facts

Post by fast__facts »

Anybody know what state/nationals tests will be like? There doesn't seem to be any super reasonable yet difficult categories, anybody have ideas?

Like I think I heard Fast Facts will try and select categories related to aspects of ALL the other events, so like from building events would they be like: alloys, or hovercraft materials, etc.?

Thanks!

Return to “2017 Lab Events”