Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Fast Facts B

Post by Skink »

My recommendation to participants and supervisors is to start a list (spreadsheet, Google doc, whatever) of topics followed by, alphabetically, possible answers. The best-prepared teams will have an answer on hand for as many letters for as many topics as possible. Similarly, the best-prepared tests will have more diverse selections of topics. Biology, earth science, chemistry, physics, as well as technology and engineering should all get some representation. I think it's fair to expect most tests to ask for chemical elements simply because it's a good fit here, but, beyond that, I'd expect (or hope for) a little creativity or bizarre categories. On a test I wrote, I think I put one strange (but fair) category on each grid.

To supervisors: making the list is a good idea for you, too, if you want specific topics because fitting it all together is a real jigsaw. What I thought would be a 90min activity turned into twice that when I realized (what we already knew) that certain letters are far more common in English than others. RSTLNE and all that...
k1213693
Division: B
Been thanked: 0

Post by k1213693 »

Elements and human body parts or organs are usually pretty common, though I have seen scientific instruments and animals or plants(often of a specific region) on multiple tests.
Graduated
smolblob
Division: B
State: CA

Post by smolblob »

k1213693 wrote:Elements and human body parts or organs are usually pretty common, though I have seen scientific instruments and animals or plants(often of a specific region) on multiple tests.
agree, especially at the invites. however, our regionals ff tests were unreasonably hard, with maybe like three topics total that people had actually studied for/were prepared for. the rest was mostly just luck/other events/something that you remembered from the back of your brain from like 2394820384 years ago :?:
carmel valley middle school!

part-time tiktaalik
ento is my lasaga
CVMSAvalacheStudent

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

smolblob wrote:
k1213693 wrote:Elements and human body parts or organs are usually pretty common, though I have seen scientific instruments and animals or plants(often of a specific region) on multiple tests.
agree, especially at the invites. however, our regionals ff tests were unreasonably hard, with maybe like three topics total that people had actually studied for/were prepared for. the rest was mostly just luck/other events/something that you remembered from the back of your brain from like 2394820384 years ago :?:
Invitationals not invites.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
ff

Post by ff »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
smolblob wrote:
Invitationals not invites.

Do you guys think that foods such as vegetables, and fruits could be tested?? Thanks!
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

On a test I wrote earlier this season, I enjoyed asking teams about my favorite vegetables, the roots! :D Remember that this is not a biology event, though, so be sure to consider oddball categories for other branches of science, too.
ff

Post by ff »

Skink wrote:On a test I wrote earlier this season, I enjoyed asking teams about my favorite vegetables, the roots! :D Remember that this is not a biology event, though, so be sure to consider oddball categories for other branches of science, too.
Thanks!! What categories are you suggesting? Most of the categories I can think of pretty much fall in the biology category (since they are so straightforward), which categories do you know of for the other major fields that may be tested?
chick-fil-a for life

Post by chick-fil-a for life »

ff wrote:
Skink wrote:On a test I wrote earlier this season, I enjoyed asking teams about my favorite vegetables, the roots! :D Remember that this is not a biology event, though, so be sure to consider oddball categories for other branches of science, too.
Thanks!! What categories are you suggesting? Most of the categories I can think of pretty much fall in the biology category (since they are so straightforward), which categories do you know of for the other major fields that may be tested?
There should also be geology stuff (rocks and minerals, landforms), astronomy topics (stars and constellations), and you should know scientists, instruments and tools you would use for science.

Our test for regionals was really hard. One of the categories was "Nobel Prize Winners in Medicine after 1967."
i like the four piece chicken strips, with waffle fries and a cookies and cream milkshake at chick-fil-a.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Yeah, I'm all for creative, not obvious categories. Well...
chick-fil-a for life wrote:Our test for regionals was really hard. One of the categories was "Nobel Prize Winners in Medicine after 1967."
...that one is a bit out there. :|
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NeilMehta »

Skink wrote:Yeah, I'm all for creative, not obvious categories. Well...
chick-fil-a for life wrote:Our test for regionals was really hard. One of the categories was "Nobel Prize Winners in Medicine after 1967."
...that one is a bit out there. :|
Here are some of them:
A-Arber
B-Black
C-Campbell
E-Edwards
F-Fischer
G-Goldstein
H-Hunt
K-Krebs
M-Marshall
N-Nurse
R-Roberts
S-Sharp
W-Warren

Point is, usually when we get topics like that we just like to list common last names and they tend to work more often than you would think
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Return to “2017 Lab Events”