Hovercraft B/C

funnybunny48
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hovercraft B/C

Post by funnybunny48 »

chalker wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:I'll be honest, when I first read the rules, I had thought that students would be allowed to decide a run has "failed." However, it's quite clear, only the ES can declare a failed run. Rule 5.m states that students must not touch the vehicle - implying to me that it's a forbidden act. Rather than invoking sportsmanship / spirit of the rules / ES judgement calls, why not add a clarification to scoring, so that touching the vehicle incurs a large penalty? If Scrambler students saw that their egg was about to crash into the bucket and break, and ran onto to the track to prevent that (similar spirit/sportsmanship violation), they'd be penalized in the scoring.
We have a general policy of not issuing clarifications in the middle of the season unless it's to address a truly event shattering issue. This clearly doesn't fall into that category, since everyone can fall back on the General Rule #1 which prohibits actions that violate the spirit of the rules.
Our team attended an invitational a few weeks ago in which the event supervisors actually encouraged us to touch the hovercraft to make it a failed run if we weren't satisfied with the time. I don't know how this will play out in different regionals/state/national competitions in the next few months, so I'd really like a clarification to be prepared for the real thing.
Anatomy / Ecology / Disease Detectives / Materials Science
CMS AC
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by CMS AC »

Just wondering, I have a hovercraft that can hover 2 kg, but I cannot push that much (about 1 kg). I'm using lipo batteries for the fan. Can anybody send me a link to buy:
1)A better fan?
2)A better motor (for pushing forward)
3)Better batteries for powering motor (pushing forward motor)
4)Good wires so no electrical resistance?

Thanks.
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

CMS AC wrote: 4)Good wires so no electrical resistance?

Thanks.
Let us know if anyone finds these wires. The world has been looking for these for a while now.

All kidding aside, you just have to get creative with where you find fans. There was nothing extremely fancy about our fans or wires and it is plenty powerful.
rbajaj

Post by rbajaj »

Does the vehicle have to have a skirt on it??
If the bottom propeller is under the base does it still need shielding the base its self has a huge hole so is it fine if we cover that with shielding??
H3LL0

Post by H3LL0 »

what stuff are you studying specifically for the test portion?
CMS AC
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by CMS AC »

CMS AC wrote:Just wondering, I have a hovercraft that can hover 2 kg, but I cannot push that much (about 1 kg). I'm using lipo batteries for the fan. Can anybody send me a link to buy:
1)A better fan?

Thanks.
If the wires are shorter, will there be less resistance?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

CMS AC wrote:
CMS AC wrote:Just wondering, I have a hovercraft that can hover 2 kg, but I cannot push that much (about 1 kg). I'm using lipo batteries for the fan. Can anybody send me a link to buy:
1)A better fan?

Thanks.
If the wires are shorter, will there be less resistance?
Yes
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
SciHC101

Post by SciHC101 »

Hello guys, I need help as to how you can make your HoverCraft heavier. I got these 500g calibration weights, but the HC doesn't seem to lift it. By terms of pressure output on the bottom fan, it can apparently lift 2.2 Kg's, Please help.
HandsFreeCookieDunk
State: PA

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk »

SciHC101 wrote:Hello guys, I need help as to how you can make your HoverCraft heavier. I got these 500g calibration weights, but the HC doesn't seem to lift it. By terms of pressure output on the bottom fan, it can apparently lift 2.2 Kg's, Please help.
Where did you get that number from? Does it say that in the specs or did you calculate it from static pressure? If you're sure it's right, it might be because the fan is meant to run at a higher voltage than you're giving it. It could also be a problem with your skirt, but I doubt that's what's causing such a huge discrepancy.
SciHC101

Post by SciHC101 »

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:
SciHC101 wrote:Hello guys, I need help as to how you can make your HoverCraft heavier. I got these 500g calibration weights, but the HC doesn't seem to lift it. By terms of pressure output on the bottom fan, it can apparently lift 2.2 Kg's, Please help.
Where did you get that number from? Does it say that in the specs or did you calculate it from static pressure? If you're sure it's right, it might be because the fan is meant to run at a higher voltage than you're giving it. It could also be a problem with your skirt, but I doubt that's what's causing such a huge discrepancy.

I got it from DigiKey. It states it in the specs of the fan. The model # of it is 1570-1137-ND. It gives 525.8 Pascals of pressure. My current Hovercraft is 400g, so I got 3 of these 500g weights, and it's not even lifting.

Return to “2017 Lab Events”