Hovercraft B/C

Zioly
Division: B
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hovercraft B/C

Post by Zioly »

Sorry for interrupting the flow of conversation in this thread, by I wanted to know, for those with a top ten placing and or a +-1 sec time score, how well do you think you did on the test? I got 14th and was 7 seconds off and didn't do great on the test.
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
slowpoke
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by slowpoke »

Our best run was ~46 seconds (rash adaptation onsite because almost ran out of time oops) if I remember correctly and we had a max mass score. We got 7th...somehow.
2017 R/S/N
Astronomy - 1/1/2
Chem Lab - 4/2/5
Hovercraft - 2/1/7
Materials Science - x/2/1

William P. Clements HS '17
Ashernoel
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

Zioly wrote:Sorry for interrupting the flow of conversation in this thread, by I wanted to know, for those with a top ten placing and or a +-1 sec time score, how well do you think you did on the test? I got 14th and was 7 seconds off and didn't do great on the test.
We had a total score of 89 and got 3rd
NT '19
Harvard '23
EMC314

Post by EMC314 »

Follow the rules? They also state you have to announce the distance and time, which they never did.
Ashernoel

Post by Ashernoel »

EMC314 wrote:Follow the rules? They also state you have to announce the distance and time, which they never did.
they announced it, but to teams as they were about to run as to not give a leg up to the teams later in the day. imo more fair because all the teams had to same amount of time to prepare with the given distance and time (about 15 seconds of preparation)
NT '19
Harvard '23
EMC314

Post by EMC314 »

They did not announce it, they posted labels on the track that only a few people could see. Div B announced it.

That made it completely unfair. Teams that went later in the day could watch the event and easily get an idea of time and distance. All you had to do was time a run that was called for the 3x max and then divide by 3 to get the time, and you could see and estimate the distance. Those teams could then talk with coaches, etc. to make a strategy. Teams that were in the first block had no idea what they were facing until the moment they stepped up to the track. The rules state the length and time must be announced after impound specifically for that reason!

It just drives me crazy when they don't follow their own rules. It’s like not having the photo gates and that start line aligned, or letting people start wherever they wanted. The rules clearly state it starts directly before the start line, but they didn’t follow that either.
ericlepanda
Division: C

Post by ericlepanda »

LittyWap wrote:
cheese wrote:
LittyWap wrote:
Don't fret cheese! I may see you there! You'll know who I am, once I turn on my craft. My craft has a tendency to give people stitches..... including me and my building coach! It's extremely loud, to say the least.
Ohh yes I think I remember yours. Were you in the first time slot? We were the third team in the front row at 8:15. We ended up getting max weight with 19.5 out of 21 time score.
No, sorry. I was the last time slot and had max mass with a time of 20.9. Considering their precision was to the tenth of a second, we had the best build score possible, that wasn't exactly 21s. Having asked the proctors, they reported I was the closest to the target time, and achieved a build score of 49.88.
Yoooooo I was last time slot too. Were you the guy with the 7.4 volt lipos?
ntso
quack quack
LittyWap
State: PA

Post by LittyWap »

ericlepanda wrote:
LittyWap wrote:
cheese wrote:
Ohh yes I think I remember yours. Were you in the first time slot? We were the third team in the front row at 8:15. We ended up getting max weight with 19.5 out of 21 time score.
No, sorry. I was the last time slot and had max mass with a time of 20.9. Considering their precision was to the tenth of a second, we had the best build score possible, that wasn't exactly 21s. Having asked the proctors, they reported I was the closest to the target time, and achieved a build score of 49.88.

Yup! That was me! If you really remember who I was, I had "Digitos usque secti erunt" on the back of my shirt, the unofficial motto for hovercraft. Hats off to you Marie Murphy, you were 0.3 seconds off. Close, but no cigar. I took the title of best build score! 8-)
Build score of 49.88/50 at Nationals!? Slacker! :evil:

Shady Side Academy Division C

Hovercraft, Thermodynamics, Chemistry Lab, Mat Sci

Big P
Ashernoel

Post by Ashernoel »

LittyWap wrote:
ericlepanda wrote:
LittyWap wrote:

Yup! That was me! If you really remember who I was, I had "Digitos usque secti erunt" on the back of my shirt, the unofficial motto for hovercraft. Hats off to you Marie Murphy, you were 0.3 seconds off. Close, but no cigar. I took the title of best build score! 8-)
Lol you'd be mad if I told you how far of our time was and we still medaled lololol go division C
NT '19
Harvard '23
ericlepanda

Post by ericlepanda »

LittyWap wrote:
ericlepanda wrote:
LittyWap wrote:

I was actually off by more than that, our time was 20.5 seconds. However, I only missed two problems on the test. :D Was your hovercraft affected in any way by the track, or was the track basically the same as the one you were practicing on?
ntso
quack quack

Return to “2017 Lab Events”