Hovercraft B/C

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Hovercraft B/C

Post by windu34 »

Zioly wrote:I've been looking for a thrust fan. Would this one fill the niche?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLmxUP4Dku4
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/5209819

Same fan. One is a video I found of it.
looks good to me
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
sciduck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciduck »

Do I have to know gas laws for the test? Not sure if it's w/n the fluid mechanics topic or not...
———————————————
SCIDUCK uses CONFUSION!
 ———————————————
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

sciduck wrote:Do I have to know gas laws for the test? Not sure if it's w/n the fluid mechanics topic or not...
No
RJohnson
Division: C
State: OH

Post by RJohnson »

What are people using for shielding their fans? I've been using gutter protectors because I had them laying around, but the performance loss is significant... Has anyone had any success with other materials that they're willing to share?

Thanks!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

RJohnson wrote:What are people using for shielding their fans? I've been using gutter protectors because I had them laying around, but the performance loss is significant... Has anyone had any success with other materials that they're willing to share?

Thanks!
I have tried a few materials, but in the end, the loss is pretty much the same. Bottom line is the fan needs to be powerful enough to overcome it
Patrick Yepes

Post by Patrick Yepes »

windu34 wrote:
HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:I did an estimate by scaling down larger hovercraft propellers and found that you'll need about 50 CFM to go full speed with a 2kg craft. Does this sound reasonable?
Very reasonable, but keep in mind our hovercrafts will not be very comparable and youll likely need much more CFM. There is a fan on amazon with 200 CFM for a reasonable price.
I attached a grate/mesh over the propulsion fan that I laser-cut out of acrylic. Reduces thrust by ALOT. Might have to look for a different solution.
What have you guys tried as far as materials for the grate?

Isn't it against the 'rules' to laser cut something for the hovercraft since the students don't have a hand in the design, programming, or using the machine to cut said part?

Asking for a friend... ;)
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

I think windu does the laser cutting on his own. NSO has policies for how much adults should be involved: https://www.soinc.org/building-and-tools-policy
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Patrick Yepes wrote:
windu34 wrote:
HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:I did an estimate by scaling down larger hovercraft propellers and found that you'll need about 50 CFM to go full speed with a 2kg craft. Does this sound reasonable?
Very reasonable, but keep in mind our hovercrafts will not be very comparable and youll likely need much more CFM. There is a fan on amazon with 200 CFM for a reasonable price.
I attached a grate/mesh over the propulsion fan that I laser-cut out of acrylic. Reduces thrust by ALOT. Might have to look for a different solution.
What have you guys tried as far as materials for the grate?

Isn't it against the 'rules' to laser cut something for the hovercraft since the students don't have a hand in the design, programming, or using the machine to cut said part?

Asking for a friend... ;)
I complete the entire fabrication without any assistance from my coach which includes 2D and 3D modeling in AutoCAD, exporting the file to the Retina Engrave software, calibrating the laser cutter, and supervising the actual cutting of the acrylic.
Glad you are familiar with the policy
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

With propulsion fans: has anyone had experience with removing the propeller from a CPU fan and attaching it to the shaft of a DC motor? We were able to grab a bunch of old CPU fans from an e-waste recycling center and are thinking of experimenting. We've tried DC motors with a drone style propeller (on a simple alkaline 9v circuit) and it doesn't do the trick.

Basically - would we have more luck switching the drone prop for a wider, steeper pitched prop? Or trying to attach a computer fan prop to a motor? Or should we use the computer fan for propulsion "as is" because the propeller is optimized for that particular motor? The 12v fans don't seem to produce much airflow with 9v batteries.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

SPP SciO wrote:With propulsion fans: has anyone had experience with removing the propeller from a CPU fan and attaching it to the shaft of a DC motor? We were able to grab a bunch of old CPU fans from an e-waste recycling center and are thinking of experimenting. We've tried DC motors with a drone style propeller (on a simple alkaline 9v circuit) and it doesn't do the trick.

Basically - would we have more luck switching the drone prop for a wider, steeper pitched prop? Or trying to attach a computer fan prop to a motor? Or should we use the computer fan for propulsion "as is" because the propeller is optimized for that particular motor? The 12v fans don't seem to produce much airflow with 9v batteries.
I don't have much experience working with any of those types of propellors/fans so Id recommend trying all the combinations. More importantly, you must transition away from 9V batteries and use either 7.2/8.4 V NIMH or 7.4V LiPo BATTERY PACKS. The amount of current a alkaline battery produces is nowhere near what you need to supply to the motor

Return to “2017 Lab Events”