Hovercraft B/C

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Re: Hovercraft B/C

Postby antoine_ego » January 22nd, 2017, 1:44 pm

But if you had a bag skirt w/o any holes, wouldn't you have a lot of friction, since there's no air flowing underneath the hovercraft to reduce that friction?
Oh, I'm sorry, I misinterpreted the definition of a bag skirt. I defined a bag skirt to be one with a hole that only had a hole the size of the bottom fan, directly underneath it.
Ah, then it's probably my fault that I misunderstood. I'm not very familiar with skirt terminology. That being said, is an edge/wall skirt one where the hole is much larger, thus creating "edges" or "walls" on the bottom of the craft?
That was my interpretation of the term. The wall skirt is has much less friction, so it's good if your craft is slow, and you have already enough power to hold the weight. What I've found is that if you don't have enough power however, the skirt collapses. This could be caused by a drop in battery voltage, too much weight, etc.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
National Placings
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd 2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th 2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th 2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place! 2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd! 2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place! [/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19

rbajaj
State: -

Postby rbajaj » January 22nd, 2017, 1:45 pm

Could resistors possibly be also used to manipulate the voltage?

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby antoine_ego » January 22nd, 2017, 1:50 pm

Could resistors possibly be also used to manipulate the voltage?
They could, which is why a potentiometer (a variable resistor) might be useful.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
National Placings
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd 2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th 2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th 2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place! 2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd! 2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place! [/b]

rbajaj
State: -

Postby rbajaj » January 22nd, 2017, 6:56 pm

Is the kit for the craft worth it? I feel if you bought all the stuff somewhere else it would be much cheaper........also the kit doesn't include anything to help control the speed of the Hovercraft itself or does it?

windu34
State: FL

Postby windu34 » January 22nd, 2017, 7:03 pm

Is the kit for the craft worth it? I feel if you bought all the stuff somewhere else it would be much cheaper........also the kit doesn't include anything to help control the speed of the Hovercraft itself or does it?
Please don't buy the kit....
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2020:
UT Austin - Circuit Lab B/C
Solon - Circuit Lab C
Nationals - Circuit Lab C

Complexity
Division: C
State: MI

Postby Complexity » January 22nd, 2017, 7:52 pm

I just wanted to know if we can have holes of greater than a quarter of an inch in our skirt. We got tiered in our invite because the proctor could fit a dowel through a hole in the skirt

Zioly
Division: B
State: WA

Postby Zioly » January 22nd, 2017, 8:15 pm

I just wanted to know if we can have holes of greater than a quarter of an inch in our skirt. We got tiered in our invite because the proctor could fit a dowel through a hole in the skirt
I assume that if you do have holes > 1/4 in., then you'll need shielding for your fan opening...

Also, at a recent invite, the ES said that I didn't need shielding on the bottom opening. It's a blower configuration. Were they right about the shielding bit?
2017 Nats Div. B
Bottle Rockets: 5th Ecology: 9th Hovercraft: 14th Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too ;))
Inglemoor High School 2018 Div. C
Mousetrap Vehicle Hovercraft Ecology Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P) ...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual. :lol:

Adi1008
State: TX

Postby Adi1008 » January 22nd, 2017, 8:18 pm

I'm sure you can; edge skirts essentially have the entire bottom of the skirt cut out, which is definitely bigger than a quarter inch.
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

HandsFreeCookieDunk
State: PA

Postby HandsFreeCookieDunk » January 23rd, 2017, 3:19 am

Mistakes were made.
Please ignore.
Last edited by HandsFreeCookieDunk on January 23rd, 2017, 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

HandsFreeCookieDunk
State: PA

Postby HandsFreeCookieDunk » January 23rd, 2017, 3:21 am

I assume that if you do have holes > 1/4 in., then you'll need shielding for your fan opening...

Also, at a recent invite, the ES said that I didn't need shielding on the bottom opening. It's a blower configuration. Were they right about the shielding bit?
Exactly, the part of the rules that talks about this check says nothing about the skirt, only the fans. However, if it is possible to access the fan through this hole in the skirt, then you need to do something about it. It's possible that the ES didn't interpret the rule to include checking underneath(although I would disagree). The only other explanation I can think of is that because your fan is a blower, it might have built in ducting that prevents you from touching the blades anyway.

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » January 23rd, 2017, 5:04 am

Please don't buy the kit....
The kit works well and serves a great purpose of providing new participants everything they need to compete in the event (note I didn't say everything you need to WIN the event). Yes, you could cumulatively acquire all the parts for less, but you aren't factoring in the time you would spend doing that, nor the detailed build instructions included with the kit. From the feedback I've heard, a lot of people have bought it and been very happy with it to get them up and running quickly.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby antoine_ego » January 23rd, 2017, 2:12 pm

Any idea if any ESs (besides the MIT one) used steel tracks? The steel was so frictionless, it destroyed our time score (9/25 sad life), so we got 8th.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
National Placings

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » January 23rd, 2017, 2:27 pm

Any idea if any ESs (besides the MIT one) used steel tracks? The steel was so frictionless, it destroyed our time score (9/25 sad life), so we got 8th.
If by track you mean the siderails, I think they're the recommended material on soinc.org.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » January 23rd, 2017, 3:20 pm

He's talking about the base being metal (in addition to the side rails). FYI, the person who ran Hovercraft at MIT is also going to be running it in Div C at Nationals.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Zioly
Division: B
State: WA

Postby Zioly » January 23rd, 2017, 8:45 pm

He's talking about the base being metal (in addition to the side rails). FYI, the person who ran Hovercraft at MIT is also going to be running it in Div C at Nationals.
I assume the track will be similar if not the same for Division B as well?
2017 Nats Div. B
Bottle Rockets: 5th Ecology: 9th Hovercraft: 14th Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too ;))
Inglemoor High School 2018 Div. C
Mousetrap Vehicle Hovercraft Ecology Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P) ...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual. :lol:

Return to “2017 Lab Events”