Optics B/C

jkang
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by jkang »

Jdoglloyd wrote:Also, what do they want us to know on the test for Optical Absorption Spectra, and how many types of scattering do we need to know?
I'd personally test things such as: what are sources of absorption (or emission) spectra? Can you point out the reason for certain features of them? Also maybe some things like blackbody spectra. And as Avogadro said, Rayleigh and probably Mie scattering are qualitatively what you should know. I don't think you can go too far into the math for these since scattering turns pretty calculus-heavy really fast, but some basic math might be necessary.
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15
smolblob
Division: B
State: CA

Post by smolblob »

how have the proctors/coordinators for this event in other invitationals/regionals dealt with the coverings for the lss? what if one of the mirrors move while you're removing them; how do they address this? do they let you fix it, or force you to leave it how it shifted?
carmel valley middle school!

part-time tiktaalik
ento is my lasaga
egbertghost
Division: B
State: TX

Post by egbertghost »

smolblob wrote:how have the proctors/coordinators for this event in other invitationals/regionals dealt with the coverings for the lss? what if one of the mirrors move while you're removing them; how do they address this? do they let you fix it, or force you to leave it how it shifted?
Most of the time they let the teams fix it, but this one time a proctor turned the laser on as soon as we took the last covering off! Sadly, we didn't hit on target, but if we had fixed those mirrors we would have lol. My advice is to fix them as soon as it moves slightly.
CyFalls/MIT/Anthony/District/Regional/State
Optics: x/10/5/2/
Invasive Species:3/3/5/1/
R&M:3/3/2/2/
Science Word:x/x/5/1/
Crime Busters:11/6/6/x/

Go Anthony/Cy-Ranch!
ft55555

Post by ft55555 »

I had a question about the use of templates. According to the rules, the participants are allowed to leave the templates on the LSS, which is great. But are the participants allowed to tape down templates so that they don't move while positioning the mirrors?
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

I'd consider that a 4.k. violation, personally.
Tom_MS
State: PA

Post by Tom_MS »

We've used that at all our competitions and there hasn't been any violation, so I think it varies proctor to proctor. When I've asked them about it, they've generally said that it wasn't a problem as long as the tape was fully removable and left no mark.
Avogadro
State: PA

Post by Avogadro »

I don't think anybody has tried doing that at any of the competitions I've attended as of yet (not that I've heard at least) but you would certainly want to ask the ES before just doing it to make sure you don't get hit.
Lower Merion 2017
Subtitled: Revenge of the Non-Harriton

Placement Record:

Code: Islip | Conestoga | Tiger | Regionals | States
Out of: 61 | 42 | 36 | 37 | 36

Chemistry Lab: 9 | - | - | 4 | 4
Astronomy: 14 | - | 5 | 10 | 3
Material Science: 12 | 19 | 9 | 5 | 9
Optics: 14 | 7 | 3 | 4 | 2
Bob_117
State: TN

Post by Bob_117 »

I know nothing here is official, but what do y'all think would happen if the laser just nicks the back of a mirror so that half of the beam hits the target and the other half hits the back of a mirror? It just happened to me while practicing and I was curious what y'all thought about it.
Thanks
There is nothing like the last minute rush to get your cheatsheets organized the night before the big day :D

"I don't believe in luck, I believe in skill or the lack thereof." - Me
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Bob_117 wrote:I know nothing here is official, but what do y'all think would happen if the laser just nicks the back of a mirror so that half of the beam hits the target and the other half hits the back of a mirror? It just happened to me while practicing and I was curious what y'all thought about it.
Thanks
Not applicable to this year of course, but I believe in 2012 when this happened, the score was measured using the strongest intensity beam. I don't have either the current rules or 2012 rules on me right now, so I can't check this.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

Bob_117 wrote:I know nothing here is official, but what do y'all think would happen if the laser just nicks the back of a mirror so that half of the beam hits the target and the other half hits the back of a mirror? It just happened to me while practicing and I was curious what y'all thought about it.
Thanks

I think this will be dependent on the ES- it happened to us this year at a competition and the ES made the final call.

Return to “2017 Lab Events”