Optics B/C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Unome »

meierfra wrote:This is a question for those of you that have done Optics already at an invitational. I have to run Optics next month with 12 teams in 50 minutes (twice). I can't do it with one LSS box. If I put the 2 LSSs near each other and stagger them, then when one team starts, they can see what the other team is doing. If I put the 2 LSSs on opposite sides of the room, then I worry about getting consistent directions and measuring, etc.
How has it been done at the invitationals you've attended? Do most of the teams take most of their 4 minutes?
What if you took a piece of plywood or something and just placed it down as a divider between the two boxes?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Unome wrote:
meierfra wrote:This is a question for those of you that have done Optics already at an invitational. I have to run Optics next month with 12 teams in 50 minutes (twice). I can't do it with one LSS box. If I put the 2 LSSs near each other and stagger them, then when one team starts, they can see what the other team is doing. If I put the 2 LSSs on opposite sides of the room, then I worry about getting consistent directions and measuring, etc.
How has it been done at the invitationals you've attended? Do most of the teams take most of their 4 minutes?
What if you took a piece of plywood or something and just placed it down as a divider between the two boxes?

I usually run with 2 LSSs on tables abour 4-6 feet apart. Teams are generally too concerned with their own LSS to look at the other one. Even if they did, it's hard to gain much advantage since everyone uses different techniques and tools. Many teams take far less than 4 minutes.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by antoine_ego »

I'm having a great deal of difficulty finding things on absorption spectra and whatnot. Does anyone have any resources that would be helpful?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

antoine_ego wrote:I'm having a great deal of difficulty finding things on absorption spectra and whatnot. Does anyone have any resources that would be helpful?
A good place to always start is Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_spectroscopy

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Bob_117
Division: C
State: TN

Post by Bob_117 »

Hey guys, just wondering what most of y'all are planning on doing the laser shoot. Are y'all planning on using all five mirrors and the bonus mirror? And do you think the bonus mirror is even worth it since it is just 5 points (it seems like it is a small reward for the risk)?
There is nothing like the last minute rush to get your cheatsheets organized the night before the big day :D

"I don't believe in luck, I believe in skill or the lack thereof." - Me
Bob_117

Post by Bob_117 »

I don't think there is anything on absorption spectra here but there is quite a bit of other stuff.
https://www.newport.com/resourceListing ... y%3AOptics
There is nothing like the last minute rush to get your cheatsheets organized the night before the big day :D

impossiblesphere

Post by impossiblesphere »

hi, on the rules it talks about reference materials needing to be secured in a 3 ring binder

these reference materials can be used during both the written portion and the laser shoot part, right?
jkang
State: TX

Post by jkang »

impossiblesphere wrote:hi, on the rules it talks about reference materials needing to be secured in a 3 ring binder

these reference materials can be used during both the written portion and the laser shoot part, right?
Surprisingly the rules never explicitly state that the binder can be used during all parts of the competition, but I would assume that this is true considering that has for other physics events (compound, time, etc).
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15
jonboyage
State: PA

Post by jonboyage »

jkang wrote:
impossiblesphere wrote:hi, on the rules it talks about reference materials needing to be secured in a 3 ring binder

Surprisingly the rules never explicitly state that the binder can be used during all parts of the competition, but I would assume that this is true considering that has for other physics events (compound, time, etc).
Under 2b it says "Competitors may bring any measuring tools, premade templates, writing utensils and any type of calculators for use during any part of the competition."
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
Bob_117

Post by Bob_117 »

jkang wrote:Here's my optics test from the recent UT-Austin invitational (key). If you have any questions about it, feel free to PM or email me!
I was looking at this test and am stuck on problem 5. How do you find the focal length of a lens without knowing the radii of curvature? Sorry if it's a bit of a dumb question, I'm new to this event.

Thanks

Return to “2017 Lab Events”