Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by jkang »

Tom_MS wrote:
Cloudia wrote:Hello :)
While I was expecting that my students would struggle with the state/national level theory (lasers, multiple lenses, etc) that the Cornell Invitational is known for, there were questions in which I can't see how they fit within any of this year's optics topics. Alternatively, is it common to see more topics thrown than expected?
I'm currently a student, but I'll give you my take. The Cornell invitational is known for writing odd tests in some events, so I'm sorry to say I wouldn't base your studying off of the experience there.
To reference this year's rules, "Optical Absorption Spectra: Film, chemicals, dyes" could be interpreted as analysis of energy levels as well as analysis of spectra. This leads to a need for understanding the energy and characteristics of photons as well as methods such as diffraction which can produce spectral lines.
Redshift was on previous years' rules I believe, but not this year. In this respect, Cornell seems to have simply failed at following the rules.
I'm a grad and I've written/proctored various tests at different levels of tournaments, so here's my take on it. While some subjects might be outside of the defined area, I think that one of the most important part of the rules is in 4.c.: "The competition must consist of at least two questions from each of the following areas". Now the way I interpret this line may be different from how others do, but when I write tests the first thing I generally do is make sure that I meet this quota. However beyond these 20 questions, I generally add questions that are not listed in the provided topics (for example, wave optics and some astronomy-related things) that I think are still important to know for the overall subject of optics. This doesn't go against the rules at all as far as I can see, as I am meeting the 20 question requirement, but just adding some new topics/questions of my own on top of that. Thus if I was currently competing in Optics, I wouldn't limit myself to knowledge of just the topics listed, but try to get as much breadth as possible in the subject, as other test-writers could always think the same way I do. Plus that's representative of the spirit of Science Olympiad - not just limiting knowledge to content that will be presented on a test, but to have kids explore a subject beyond what schools/classes regularly teach as well as diving into the subject as much as they can/want.
Tom_MS
State: PA

Post by Tom_MS »

True. Some rules have different wording but with optics you're right.
Fluorine
State: FL

Post by Fluorine »

Can someone check me back on this problem its a Doppler Shift one?

"A spaceship is moving away from an asteroid at a relative velocity of 2.8481 x 10^8 m/s. The spaceship sends a signal with a frequency of 5 x 10^6 Hz to a base located on the asteroid. What is the frequency of the signal measured by the base?"

I keep getting 2.56 x 10^6 Hz but the test key says the answer is 3.1225 x 10^7 Hz.
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Fluorine wrote:Can someone check me back on this problem its a Doppler Shift one?

"A spaceship is moving away from an asteroid at a relative velocity of 2.8481 x 10^8 m/s. The spaceship sends a signal with a frequency of 5 x 10^6 Hz to a base located on the asteroid. What is the frequency of the signal measured by the base?"

I keep getting 2.56 x 10^6 Hz but the test key says the answer is 3.1225 x 10^7 Hz.
I jammed those numbers into an online doppler shift calculator and got your answer. Couldn't seem to figure out how to get their answer.
jkang

Post by jkang »

Fluorine wrote:I keep getting 2.56 x 10^6 Hz but the test key says the answer is 3.1225 x 10^7 Hz.
Using hyperphysics and wolframalpha, I got 3.12*10^7 Hz if the spaceship moves towards the asteroid, rather than away from it - this follows common sense, as redshifting would lower frequency, whereas blueshifting would increase it. Looks like your proctor either misworded the question, or applied the wrong equation in his/her calculations of answers.
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15
whyiamafool
Division: B
State: OH

Post by whyiamafool »

Hello,

My team recently went to an invitational and found out that the TP (target point) was off 5 cm from the center line from that particular invitational. The team reviewed the rules once again and it says that event supervisors select a TP that is the same for all teams.

Does this mean that event supervisors can select a TP anywhere along the Target Wall?

Thanks.
Total Event and Competition List

Invasive Species
Optics
Reach for the Stars
Wright Stuff
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

whyiamafool wrote:Hello,

My team recently went to an invitational and found out that the TP (target point) was off 5 cm from the center line from that particular invitational. The team reviewed the rules once again and it says that event supervisors select a TP that is the same for all teams.

Does this mean that event supervisors can select a TP anywhere along the Target Wall?

Thanks.
Yeah, it can be anywhere along the back wall
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
jonboyage
State: PA

Post by jonboyage »

Thanks.
Yes, the proctor can make the target anywhere along the target wall. So far, every invitational I have been to this year has had the target off-center. The farthest I've seen so far is 9cm off-center
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Thanks.
Read rule 3.f. very carefully. It says one of the marks is the TP, It does NOT say a particular mark is the TP.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
egbertghost
Division: B

Post by egbertghost »

Fluorine wrote:Can someone check me back on this problem its a Doppler Shift one?

I asked my cousin (an Astronomy Harvard professor) said to use the Red Doppler Shift formula, and then I got the same answer as you. The test writer probably did something wrong lol. Good luck!
Last edited by egbertghost on January 9th, 2017, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyFalls/MIT/Anthony/District/Regional/State
Optics: x/10/5/2/
Invasive Species:3/3/5/1/
R&M:3/3/2/2/
Science Word:x/x/5/1/
Crime Busters:11/6/6/x/

Go Anthony/Cy-Ranch!

Return to “2017 Lab Events”