Division: Grad
State: WA

Wind Power B/C

Postby bernard » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:00 am

depo1213
State: -

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby depo1213 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Are there any changes from last years rules rn this years rules.

0ddrenaline
State: MI

Postby 0ddrenaline » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:45 pm

depo1213 wrote:Are there any changes from last years rules rn this years rules.

The blade can't extend behind the CD this year.
Allendale High School

depo1213

Postby depo1213 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:52 pm

The length of the blade and the amount of resistance is still the same?

soyuppy

Postby soyuppy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:05 am

depo1213 wrote:The length of the blade and the amount of resistance is still the same?

blade length remain the same for div B and C . but Resistance changed: 5 Ohm to 20 Ohm range load
Scoring change as well. Only voltage reading is used. No more Power calculation. Low Speed and High Speed voltage is treated indendepently

soyuppy

Postby soyuppy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:44 am

I'm somewhat surprise to see the dimension remain the same. Having seen repeated buil events in the past, construction dimension and parameter always changed to ensure that no old model from previous years are used. Example: ELG change the min length wing span dimension when it returned for another year. Bottle Rocket went from 2-liter to 1-liter bottle.
Guess we'll have to trust the honor system here that no one will try to reuse their blade :)

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:08 pm

soyuppy wrote:I'm somewhat surprise to see the dimension remain the same. Having seen repeated buil events in the past, construction dimension and parameter always changed to ensure that no old model from previous years are used. Example: ELG change the min length wing span dimension when it returned for another year. Bottle Rocket went from 2-liter to 1-liter bottle.
Guess we'll have to trust the honor system here that no one will try to reuse their blade :)

The rules committee thought about this. It'll be really hard for most teams to reuse old blades as a result of the new prohibition on anything being behind the plane of the CD. Almost every design we saw had SOMETHING extend a bit backwards.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Check out the new 2016-2017 OFFICIAL Science Olympiad mobile app on Apple iTunes and Google Play!

HandsFreeCookieDunk
Division: C
State: PA

Postby HandsFreeCookieDunk » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:53 am

chalker wrote:
soyuppy wrote:I'm somewhat surprise to see the dimension remain the same. Having seen repeated buil events in the past, construction dimension and parameter always changed to ensure that no old model from previous years are used. Example: ELG change the min length wing span dimension when it returned for another year. Bottle Rocket went from 2-liter to 1-liter bottle.

The rules committee thought about this. It'll be really hard for most teams to reuse old blades as a result of the new prohibition on anything being behind the plane of the CD. Almost every design we saw had SOMETHING extend a bit backwards.

Really? My team just attached our blades to the front of the CD, and I assumed that was what most other teams did too. Is this not the case, or are you referring to backward deflection now being illegal?

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:50 pm

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:Really? My team just attached our blades to the front of the CD, and I assumed that was what most other teams did too. Is this not the case, or are you referring to backward deflection now being illegal?

Yes really. There were 3 things we noticed: 1. teams would punch holes in the CD to thread string or something through to secure the blades, 2. teams would use tape and wrap the tape around the back edge of the CD, 3. the blades would be designed so that due to their pitch they naturally ended up behind the plane of the CD.

If you didn't do any of these, congrats as your blade meets the new specs.

Regarding backward deflection during operation, that's ok. The rule change refers to 'when initially mounted'.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Check out the new 2016-2017 OFFICIAL Science Olympiad mobile app on Apple iTunes and Google Play!

Fibonacci924
State: MN
Location: In the Castle by the lake, determining which book I should read in to next.

Postby Fibonacci924 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:31 pm

*When your old blades fit the new rules* :D Too bad Wind Power is competitive at my school...
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Always remember: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Two time member of the EOOTA.

daydreamer0023
Location: I have no idea where I am, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going ;)

Postby daydreamer0023 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:59 am

Fibonacci924 wrote:*When your old blades fit the new rules* :D Too bad Wind Power is competitive at my school...

Wind Power isn't really competitive where I go, but back on topic a bit, last year, did you all prefer to use airfoil shaped balsa, rectangular balsa or do you prefer using some other material? I'm just curious to see what the general thoughts are.

calvin102111
Division: B
State: IN

Postby calvin102111 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:08 am

daydreamer0023 wrote:
Fibonacci924 wrote:*When your old blades fit the new rules* :D Too bad Wind Power is competitive at my school...

Wind Power isn't really competitive where I go, but back on topic a bit, last year, did you all prefer to use airfoil shaped balsa, rectangular balsa or do you prefer using some other material? I'm just curious to see what the general thoughts are.

My blades still work too :D And to answer your question daydreamer, I always preferred using airfoiled balsa. It increased the efficiency of the blades by about 30-60%, depending on the type and quality of the airfoil. If you want more tips on the airfoil specifically, DM me and I can give you a ton of info on it.
Captain for 2016/17 Season

Projected Events: Wind Power; Dynamic Planet; Ecology; Optics; R & M; WIDI

[NerdyTotoro]
Division: B

Postby [NerdyTotoro] » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:12 am

calvin102111 wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:

My blades still work too :D And to answer your question daydreamer, I always preferred using airfoiled balsa. It increased the efficiency of the blades by about 30-60%, depending on the type and quality of the airfoil. If you want more tips on the airfoil specifically, DM me and I can give you a ton of info on it.

...this is not Instagram...
2016-2017: FAQs, Detectives, Psychology, Poisoning, Feces, and Fusion

Medal Count- shrug?

:idea:

JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Postby JonB » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Chalker, I hate to ask this so far after the fact, but can you tell us the top 10 voltages/exam scores at Nationals last year? Those results are not on the "Test Packet" CD (that has the exams/scores from select National events) we bought from the Science Olympiad Store this year. Was there a specific reason those results were not disclosed this year?

soyuppy

Postby soyuppy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:46 pm

In the diagram below, where does the Volt Meter probe goes? A, B, C? or does it matter?
CD Volt Meter Diag.png

Return to “Lab Events”