Wind Power B/C

ashmmohan
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by ashmmohan »

BasuSiddha23 wrote:Regarding transmission lines, what type of information should you know about the voltages, resistance, power, etc.?
Does anyone know a reliable source to find energy production percentages?(like what percentage hydroelectric or wind accommodates for the world energy production)
Every formula pertaining to current, voltage, resistance, amperage, etc. Make sure you have a comprehensive formula sheet so you can answer those questions correctly. You should know the different types of transmission lines (primary, secondary, etc.).
Boca Raton Community High School
Cornell/MIT/Berkeley/Regionals/States/Nationals (- indicates no medal)
Wind Power: 1/6/3/1/1/
Towers: 5/-/-/-/5/
EV: -/3
Hovercraft: 1/-/-
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

Does anyone know what formulas in particular that can be used for wind power?
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by windu34 »

Anomaly wrote:Does anyone know what formulas in particular that can be used for wind power?
V=IR
Honestly you just have to know them all so just find physics formula sheets amd then go after wind power specific ones
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Does anyone know to even approach solving this? I might just not be familiar with the equation:

The power generated by a turbine is 18,000 Watts. If the wind speed, which is initially 30 m/s decreases by 25%, what must the lift force be in order to generate the same amount of power?
800 N
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Apologies for the double post, but could use another opinion on this one as well:

A 36% efficient coal power plant burns 8.5 million kilograms of coal in a day. (Assume the heat of combustion of coal is 31 MJ/kg) How many watts of power is produced per day?
I got 95 TW
Answer key says 1.1 GW
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

windu34 wrote:Does anyone know to even approach solving this? I might just not be familiar with the equation:

The power generated by a turbine is 18,000 Watts. If the wind speed, which is initially 30 m/s decreases by 25%, what must the lift force be in order to generate the same amount of power?
800 N
Edit: Looks like the link I tried isn't working, try this viewtopic.php?f=226&t=9285&start=195#p307423
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

The question you quoted in your first post has been answered on an earlier page, but I think we decided it was a badly worded question.
windu34 wrote:Apologies for the double post, but could use another opinion on this one as well:

A 36% efficient coal power plant burns 8.5 million kilograms of coal in a day. (Assume the heat of combustion of coal is 31 MJ/kg) How many watts of power is produced per day?
I got 95 TW
Answer key says 1.1 GW
You calculated the joules produced per day, but you need to divide it by the number of seconds in a day to find the power produced.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
wzhang5460
Division: B
State: NY

Post by wzhang5460 »

RestingDoll wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:What would be considered to be a "great score" for blades in millivolts for Division C, given that a good score would get you placing in the top 10 in nats? I know things have changed since last year, but I kind of want to get a better estimate of how I (belatedly) did last year and what to improve upon this year. Thanks in advance!

Edit: How does the width of a blade affect performance in general in your experiences?
Every competition will have different scores in terms of voltage due to differences in motors/fans/resistance. As long as you do relatively well compared to others, you should be fine. Specific to last years nats, I think 1st place got 650 mV on high power and 450 mV on low power (check old forums).
Do you happen to know what the resistance was?
Circuit Lab NY State Champion with legendary circuitologist Eric Wang
LONGEST DEFENDING ROCKS AND MINERALS REGIONAL CHAMPION OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND IN HISTORY ~4 YEARS AND COUNTING
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

wzhang5460 wrote:
RestingDoll wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:What would be considered to be a "great score" for blades in millivolts for Division C, given that a good score would get you placing in the top 10 in nats? I know things have changed since last year, but I kind of want to get a better estimate of how I (belatedly) did last year and what to improve upon this year. Thanks in advance!

Edit: How does the width of a blade affect performance in general in your experiences?
Every competition will have different scores in terms of voltage due to differences in motors/fans/resistance. As long as you do relatively well compared to others, you should be fine. Specific to last years nats, I think 1st place got 650 mV on high power and 450 mV on low power (check old forums).
It's changed since last year (since now the resistance can be much more), but I suppose it was at 7.5ish ohms because our blade performed better at Nats than at my home setup.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
wzhang5460
Division: B
State: NY

Post by wzhang5460 »

daydreamer0023 wrote:
wzhang5460 wrote:
RestingDoll wrote:
It's changed since last year (since now the resistance can be much more), but I suppose it was at 7.5ish ohms because our blade performed better at Nats than at my home setup.
Oh I see. Our turbine got about 300 mV at States but i don't know what the resistance was.
Circuit Lab NY State Champion with legendary circuitologist Eric Wang
LONGEST DEFENDING ROCKS AND MINERALS REGIONAL CHAMPION OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND IN HISTORY ~4 YEARS AND COUNTING

Return to “2017 Lab Events”