Wind Power B/C

soyuppy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by soyuppy »

dcrxcode wrote:
soyuppy wrote:
PHXcoach wrote:I posted instructions for building a test stand and fan stand for Wind Power.
Test stand instructions: http://scioly.org/wiki/images/9/9d/Wind ... _Stand.pdf
Fan stand instructions: http://scioly.org/wiki/images/8/86/Wind ... _Stand.pdf

Feel free to use them in full, or just to extract subsets of information (e.g. recommended CD/DVD motor can be purchased from Jameco https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-310TA-11400 ... 38465.html)
Is the motor from jameco any better from one pry out of old CD player?
It's probably a little easier to use, but you do need that hub part. Prying it out of a CD player is a little harder than it may seem (heh).
I have a lot of the motors from CD player. But they are not yielding good voltage. So I wonder if these jameco is more efficient, i.e. yield better voltage.
dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by dcrxcode »

soyuppy wrote:
dcrxcode wrote:
soyuppy wrote: Is the motor from jameco any better from one pry out of old CD player?
It's probably a little easier to use, but you do need that hub part. Prying it out of a CD player is a little harder than it may seem (heh).
I have a lot of the motors from CD player. But they are not yielding good voltage. So I wonder if these jameco is more efficient, i.e. yield better voltage.
How...are you using it to yield voltage? Like it's not giving good measurements? The motor itself doesn't need to generate electricity, it just needs to conduct electricity through it so a multimeter can measure voltage.
soyuppy

Post by soyuppy »

dcrxcode wrote:
soyuppy wrote:
dcrxcode wrote:
How...are you using it to yield voltage? Like it's not giving good measurements? The motor itself doesn't need to generate electricity, it just needs to conduct electricity through it so a multimeter can measure voltage.
am getting result...just wonder if jameco motor give better result.
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

soyuppy wrote:
dcrxcode wrote:
soyuppy wrote: I have a lot of the motors from CD player. But they are not yielding good voltage. So I wonder if these jameco is more efficient, i.e. yield better voltage.
am getting result...just wonder if jameco motor give better result.
If you're talking about how much voltage it's giving you (not inconsistency), it shouldn't really matter as long as you're always using that same motor to test with each design. The actual voltage output is irrelevant, as the motor in competition will likely not be the same one. Just compare the voltages the motor gives you to each other to see which design is better. :)
russianolive

Post by russianolive »

Please help! Where do you guys buy your kits?
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

russianolive wrote:Please help! Where do you guys buy your kits?
If you're referring to the kit for the testing stand, North Carolina Science Olympiad is selling some if you need one. It's cheaper than the one Ward Science offers, but probably isn't standardized in your state.

If you're referring to the kit for the blade itself, there isn't any kit for the blade that I know of. However, there are some good tips on this wiki, on both the wiki page for Wind Power or if you skim through past discussion threads from previous years, to get you started in the right direction.

Hope this helps! :)
noobforce
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by noobforce »

What are the barebones materials needed to create the motor?

I have a voltmeter, wires, and a resistor. I understand how to connect everything together what pieces the CD motor is made out of if I'm making it from scratch. I have a limited budget so I want to cut out anything not required.

Is this all I need? How does the motor connect to the circuit?
https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-310TA-11400 ... 38465.html

Thanks.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

noobforce wrote:What are the barebones materials needed to create the motor?

I have a voltmeter, wires, and a resistor. I understand how to connect everything together what pieces the CD motor is made out of if I'm making it from scratch. I have a limited budget so I want to cut out anything not required.

Is this all I need? How does the motor connect to the circuit?
https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-310TA-11400 ... 38465.html

Thanks.
There is a PDF guide to creating a Test Stand on the National Website that should be helpful: https://www.soinc.org/wind_power_b
BobbyJoe
Division: C
State: PA

Post by BobbyJoe »

What voltages are you guys getting with your blade designs?
Just curious. :?:
kinghong1970
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by kinghong1970 »

BobbyJoe wrote:What voltages are you guys getting with your blade designs?
Just curious. :?:
that would be hard to compare unless everyone has exact same testing setup, motor, resistor, wire, fan source...

Return to “2017 Lab Events”