Wind Power B/C

daydreamer0023
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:44 am
Division: C
State: -
Location: I have no idea where I am, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going ;)
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby daydreamer0023 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:34 pm

science R wrote:Would you recomend thin material or thick


Depends on the weight of the material. Some teams like to use cereal box or cardstock blades. Others go for balsa blades. Both, I think, have proven to be effective, though it is up to you to experiment with to see which one fits your preferences better.

sunvenu
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:08 pm
Division: B
State: MI
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby sunvenu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:28 pm

The rules say "The CD must fit on the mount found in a standard CD player.
Modification of the CD is not allowed (except to affix the blades via tape, glue, etc.)." I cannot think of anything else other than tape or glue to fix the blades to CD. Are there any other ways to attach the blades to the CD without modifying the CD. Are plastic screws allowed (that would require holes in CD)?

SPP SciO
Member
Member
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby SPP SciO » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:12 am

sunvenu wrote:The rules say "The CD must fit on the mount found in a standard CD player.
Modification of the CD is not allowed (except to affix the blades via tape, glue, etc.)." I cannot think of anything else other than tape or glue to fix the blades to CD. Are there any other ways to attach the blades to the CD without modifying the CD. Are plastic screws allowed (that would require holes in CD)?


The rule is written like that to permit tape or glue, not prohibit it, so I'd suggest sticking with your initial instinct.

It's probably also possible to build a slotted blade that has a friction hold on the cd (akin to a paper clip) but, tape or glue should give you a light and durable hold.

dhdarren
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:34 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Location: Hudson High School
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby dhdarren » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:24 am

SPP SciO wrote:
sunvenu wrote:The rules say "The CD must fit on the mount found in a standard CD player.
Modification of the CD is not allowed (except to affix the blades via tape, glue, etc.)." I cannot think of anything else other than tape or glue to fix the blades to CD. Are there any other ways to attach the blades to the CD without modifying the CD. Are plastic screws allowed (that would require holes in CD)?


The rule is written like that to permit tape or glue, not prohibit it, so I'd suggest sticking with your initial instinct.

It's probably also possible to build a slotted blade that has a friction hold on the cd (akin to a paper clip) but, tape or glue should give you a light and durable hold.


A slotted blade won't work, at least for this year. If I'm understanding you correct, you're implying that the blade goes on the thin edge of the CD, correct? Since the rules prohibit any part of the blade on the rear side of the CD this year, a slotted blade would be in violation.

SPP SciO
Member
Member
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby SPP SciO » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:38 pm

dhdarren wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:
sunvenu wrote:The rules say "The CD must fit on the mount found in a standard CD player.
Modification of the CD is not allowed (except to affix the blades via tape, glue, etc.)." I cannot think of anything else other than tape or glue to fix the blades to CD. Are there any other ways to attach the blades to the CD without modifying the CD. Are plastic screws allowed (that would require holes in CD)?


The rule is written like that to permit tape or glue, not prohibit it, so I'd suggest sticking with your initial instinct.

It's probably also possible to build a slotted blade that has a friction hold on the cd (akin to a paper clip) but, tape or glue should give you a light and durable hold.


A slotted blade won't work, at least for this year. If I'm understanding you correct, you're implying that the blade goes on the thin edge of the CD, correct? Since the rules prohibit any part of the blade on the rear side of the CD this year, a slotted blade would be in violation.


Good point - that's rule 3.f. Don't do the slotted blade idea. Glue or tape works fine.

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 1848
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:30 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby chalker » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:11 pm

SPP SciO wrote:
dhdarren wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:
The rule is written like that to permit tape or glue, not prohibit it, so I'd suggest sticking with your initial instinct.

It's probably also possible to build a slotted blade that has a friction hold on the cd (akin to a paper clip) but, tape or glue should give you a light and durable hold.


A slotted blade won't work, at least for this year. If I'm understanding you correct, you're implying that the blade goes on the thin edge of the CD, correct? Since the rules prohibit any part of the blade on the rear side of the CD this year, a slotted blade would be in violation.


Good point - that's rule 3.f. Don't do the slotted blade idea. Glue or tape works fine.


Technically there are also ultra-small screws (you'd have to use nylon, not metal ones) you could use to mount to the CD, as long as no part of the screw protrudes from the back surface (either via trying to thread the hole in the CD or via counter-sinking from the back side).

kenniky
Member
Member
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:16 am
Division: C
State: MA
Location: Acton-Boxborough RHS
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby kenniky » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:09 am

chalker wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:
dhdarren wrote:
A slotted blade won't work, at least for this year. If I'm understanding you correct, you're implying that the blade goes on the thin edge of the CD, correct? Since the rules prohibit any part of the blade on the rear side of the CD this year, a slotted blade would be in violation.


Good point - that's rule 3.f. Don't do the slotted blade idea. Glue or tape works fine.


Technically there are also ultra-small screws (you'd have to use nylon, not metal ones) you could use to mount to the CD, as long as no part of the screw protrudes from the back surface (either via trying to thread the hole in the CD or via counter-sinking from the back side).

Wouldn't that modify the CD?

Ionizer
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:03 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Pitt
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby Ionizer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:03 am

kenniky wrote:
chalker wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:
Good point - that's rule 3.f. Don't do the slotted blade idea. Glue or tape works fine.


Technically there are also ultra-small screws (you'd have to use nylon, not metal ones) you could use to mount to the CD, as long as no part of the screw protrudes from the back surface (either via trying to thread the hole in the CD or via counter-sinking from the back side).

Wouldn't that modify the CD?

Yeah, but its allowed. The rules say no modification except to attach the blades. This modification would be to attach the blades.

JonB
Coach
Coach
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:00 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby JonB » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:02 pm

I would have to ask, for what reason would you want to use screws when tape works perfectly well? If you are considering making an adjustable blade system using a screw then I would recommend simplification of the design.

windu34
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:37 am
Division: C
State: FL
Location: Trolling the forums
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby windu34 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:08 pm

JonB wrote:I would have to ask, for what reason would you want to use screws when tape works perfectly well? If you are considering making an adjustable blade system using a screw then I would recommend simplification of the design.

^Seconded

calvin102111
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:55 pm
Division: B
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby calvin102111 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:30 am

windu34 wrote:
JonB wrote:I would have to ask, for what reason would you want to use screws when tape works perfectly well? If you are considering making an adjustable blade system using a screw then I would recommend simplification of the design.

^Seconded

If you were planning to do an adjustable design, I would probably recommend using a slot type design, so you can take out and insert blades at will.

ashmmohan
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:36 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby ashmmohan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:28 pm

still, with a slot type design I would use tape. screws would unnecessarily increase weight and are not as efficient as tape.
Boca Raton Community High School

calvin102111
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:55 pm
Division: B
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby calvin102111 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:10 pm

I have to be honest here, I can't see any advantages of using tape over glue. Glue is much lighter, and will provide much less resistance than pieces of tape. Here are two types of super glue that I've used previously:
https://www.amazon.com/Insta-cure-filli ... noacrylate

or

https://www.amazon.com/Insta-cure-filli ... noacrylate

The first option is better and cures quicker, but the second option will still work fine (I used it up to the regional level).
Captain for 2016/17 Season

Projected Events: Wind Power; Dynamic Planet; Ecology; Optics; R & M; WIDI

0ddrenaline
Member
Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 1:36 am
Division: C
State: MI
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby 0ddrenaline » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:01 pm

calvin102111 wrote:I have to be honest here, I can't see any advantages of using tape over glue. Glue is much lighter, and will provide much less resistance than pieces of tape.

Tape makes it adjustable. I use tape until the blade is just right, and then I use glue as a final touch.
Allendale High School
Events: Helicopters, Optics, Towers, Wind Power

calvin102111
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:55 pm
Division: B
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby calvin102111 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:49 am

0ddrenaline wrote:
calvin102111 wrote:I have to be honest here, I can't see any advantages of using tape over glue. Glue is much lighter, and will provide much less resistance than pieces of tape.

Tape makes it adjustable. I use tape until the blade is just right, and then I use glue as a final touch.

Ah, I guess that makes sense. In all fairness, I'm fairly confident with my design, so I've been going straight to glue :)
Captain for 2016/17 Season

Projected Events: Wind Power; Dynamic Planet; Ecology; Optics; R & M; WIDI


Return to “Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest