Wind Power B/C

soyuppy
State: -

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby soyuppy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:05 am

dcrxcode wrote:
soyuppy wrote:
PHXcoach wrote:I posted instructions for building a test stand and fan stand for Wind Power.
Test stand instructions: http://scioly.org/wiki/images/9/9d/Wind_Power_Test_Stand.pdf
Fan stand instructions: http://scioly.org/wiki/images/8/86/Wind_Power_Fan_Stand.pdf

Feel free to use them in full, or just to extract subsets of information (e.g. recommended CD/DVD motor can be purchased from Jameco https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-310TA-11400-2-5V-DC-Motor-2200-RPM_238465.html)

Is the motor from jameco any better from one pry out of old CD player?

It's probably a little easier to use, but you do need that hub part. Prying it out of a CD player is a little harder than it may seem (heh).

I have a lot of the motors from CD player. But they are not yielding good voltage. So I wonder if these jameco is more efficient, i.e. yield better voltage.

dcrxcode
Division: C
State: IN

Postby dcrxcode » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:35 am

soyuppy wrote:
dcrxcode wrote:
soyuppy wrote:Is the motor from jameco any better from one pry out of old CD player?

It's probably a little easier to use, but you do need that hub part. Prying it out of a CD player is a little harder than it may seem (heh).

I have a lot of the motors from CD player. But they are not yielding good voltage. So I wonder if these jameco is more efficient, i.e. yield better voltage.

How...are you using it to yield voltage? Like it's not giving good measurements? The motor itself doesn't need to generate electricity, it just needs to conduct electricity through it so a multimeter can measure voltage.

soyuppy

Postby soyuppy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:48 am

dcrxcode wrote:
soyuppy wrote:
dcrxcode wrote:

How...are you using it to yield voltage? Like it's not giving good measurements? The motor itself doesn't need to generate electricity, it just needs to conduct electricity through it so a multimeter can measure voltage.

am getting result...just wonder if jameco motor give better result.

dragon_fruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Postby dragon_fruit35 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:41 pm

soyuppy wrote:
dcrxcode wrote:
soyuppy wrote:I have a lot of the motors from CD player. But they are not yielding good voltage. So I wonder if these jameco is more efficient, i.e. yield better voltage.

am getting result...just wonder if jameco motor give better result.

If you're talking about how much voltage it's giving you (not inconsistency), it shouldn't really matter as long as you're always using that same motor to test with each design. The actual voltage output is irrelevant, as the motor in competition will likely not be the same one. Just compare the voltages the motor gives you to each other to see which design is better. :)

russianolive

Postby russianolive » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:16 am

Please help! Where do you guys buy your kits?

daydreamer0023
Location: I have no idea where I am, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going ;)

Postby daydreamer0023 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:56 am

russianolive wrote:Please help! Where do you guys buy your kits?

If you're referring to the kit for the testing stand, North Carolina Science Olympiad is selling some if you need one. It's cheaper than the one Ward Science offers, but probably isn't standardized in your state.

If you're referring to the kit for the blade itself, there isn't any kit for the blade that I know of. However, there are some good tips on this wiki, on both the wiki page for Wind Power or if you skim through past discussion threads from previous years, to get you started in the right direction.

Hope this helps! :)

noobforce
State: NJ

Postby noobforce » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:57 am

What are the barebones materials needed to create the motor?

I have a voltmeter, wires, and a resistor. I understand how to connect everything together what pieces the CD motor is made out of if I'm making it from scratch. I have a limited budget so I want to cut out anything not required.

Is this all I need? How does the motor connect to the circuit?
https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-310TA-11400 ... 38465.html

Thanks.

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby chalker » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:21 am

noobforce wrote:What are the barebones materials needed to create the motor?

I have a voltmeter, wires, and a resistor. I understand how to connect everything together what pieces the CD motor is made out of if I'm making it from scratch. I have a limited budget so I want to cut out anything not required.

Thanks.

There is a PDF guide to creating a Test Stand on the National Website that should be helpful: https://www.soinc.org/wind_power_b

BobbyJoe
Division: B
State: PA

Postby BobbyJoe » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:18 pm

What voltages are you guys getting with your blade designs?
Just curious. :?:

kinghong1970

Postby kinghong1970 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:32 pm

BobbyJoe wrote:What voltages are you guys getting with your blade designs?
Just curious. :?:

that would be hard to compare unless everyone has exact same testing setup, motor, resistor, wire, fan source...

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby andrewwski » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:24 am

Thanks.

You're not going to be able to make the CD motor from scratch. If you check Amazon, there's a bunch of them for $7 or less. Ebay has some for even cheaper, but watch out and don't get anything that ships from outside the US - they may take months to arrive.

I'd get a motor with the hub for the CD already on it. Otherwise you could use the motor you linked, but you'd need to create a piece to attach the hub to the spindle.

noobforce
State: NJ

Postby noobforce » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:59 pm

andrewwski wrote:

Thanks.

You're not going to be able to make the CD motor from scratch. If you check Amazon, there's a bunch of them for $7 or less. Ebay has some for even cheaper, but watch out and don't get anything that ships from outside the US - they may take months to arrive.

I'd get a motor with the hub for the CD already on it. Otherwise you could use the motor you linked, but you'd need to create a piece to attach the hub to the spindle.

Thank you, andrew & chalker. So would this product be good? And all I do is connect it to the circuit?
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Uxcell-Pl ... s=cd+motor

Just to clarify what the 'CD Motor' does... Is it like a generator, in place of a battery? Does the CD Motor create an emf which causes a flow through the circuit?

kinghong1970

Postby kinghong1970 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:03 pm

noobforce wrote:Just to clarify what the 'CD Motor' does... Is it like a generator, in place of a battery? Does the CD Motor create an emf which causes a flow through the circuit?

yes, motor acts as a generator so when the propeller blade from your wind turbine spins it, your motor will create the electricity that can be read from a multimeter.

freed2003

Postby freed2003 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:58 am

I have a question about the following test: http://scioly.org/wiki/images/e/e0/Wind ... SSSS16.pdf
It seems in question 5 the values are messed up. For example, 900 MW=90000000 and shouldn't the answer to part B be 330.76 watts? Or am I missing something?

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby andrewwski » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:39 am

You're correct about the 900 MW. 900 MW = 9e6 W = 900,000,000 W.

A is still correct though (1286 A).

B: Voltage drop = 1286 A * 0.2 ohms = 257 V (not kV).
Power = 257 V * 1286 A = 331 kW

C: Percentage lost = 331e3 W / 900e6 W = 0.0367%

Units: they matter.

Return to “Lab Events”