Re: Chem Lab C

Post by ic3kreem »

Thanks for the advice everyone!
migh3suns
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by migh3suns »

I'm wondering about the lab activity. I've seen some references to LabPro used with TI calculators. In the competition itself, would it be a big disadvantage to not have used this combination of equipment before--say, for example the student has experience with Vernier LabQuest or LoggerPro, but not the particular graphing interface used in competition. Do they tend to make it pretty easy to walk in and operate whatever equipment is there?
edenprairiesucks

Post by edenprairiesucks »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any other tests for practice? There's only one on the test exchange. I can upload the river falls and boyceville tests.
Macgyver
Division: C
State: WA

Post by Macgyver »

Does anyone know how much Stoichiometry is needed this year?
Moses Lake High School Wiki:
2016-17- Chem Lab (4th), Write It Do It, Game On, WiFi Lab
2017-18- Hovercraft, Mousetrap Vehicle, Thermodynamics (2nd)
Go Washington!
Avogadro
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by Avogadro »

Macgyver wrote:Does anyone know how much Stoichiometry is needed this year?
Just about anything with Stoich is fair game, though of course most of it will be centered around gases and thermo. Considering how big those categories are in terms of Stoich, though, I'd say that you really just need to be prepared for anything on that front.
Lower Merion 2017
Subtitled: Revenge of the Non-Harriton

Placement Record:

Code: Islip | Conestoga | Tiger | Regionals | States
Out of: 61 | 42 | 36 | 37 | 36

Chemistry Lab: 9 | - | - | 4 | 4
Astronomy: 14 | - | 5 | 10 | 3
Material Science: 12 | 19 | 9 | 5 | 9
Optics: 14 | 7 | 3 | 4 | 2
_deltaV
State: FL

Post by _deltaV »

Just adding to what Avogadro said, in the rules it states that you have to know general chemistry concepts, stoichiometry being one of them. It's completely fair for a proctor to make a test consisting entirely of gas and thermo stoich calculations. In fact, our regional supervisors do just that every year, no conceptual questions
Boca Raton High School
- Helicopters - Microbe Mission
- Chem Lab - Experimental Design

"Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down." -Adam Savage
gryphaea1635
State: KS

Post by gryphaea1635 »

Have any of you taken the Captain's Tryouts Chem Lab test (from Syosset High)? A bunch of people who tried out flat out received zeros on it. I don't do Chem Lab myself, so is the test really that difficult? I'm trying to decide on a roster for our team but it's harder making a decision when everyone receives zeros on an event... :mrgreen:
ESKKEEEETTTIIITT
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

gryphaea1635 wrote:Have any of you taken the Captain's Tryouts Chem Lab test (from Syosset High)? A bunch of people who tried out flat out received zeros on it. I don't do Chem Lab myself, so is the test really that difficult? I'm trying to decide on a roster for our team but it's harder making a decision when everyone receives zeros on an event... :mrgreen:
It's certainly a very difficult test (especially the derivations in the latter half) but if people got zeroes they clearly must not have taken a chemistry class yet. I could probably score at least 40 points just off of what I learned in chem (though admittedly I took AP and got a 5).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Avogadro
State: PA

Post by Avogadro »

gryphaea1635 wrote:Have any of you taken the Captain's Tryouts Chem Lab test (from Syosset High)? A bunch of people who tried out flat out received zeros on it. I don't do Chem Lab myself, so is the test really that difficult? I'm trying to decide on a roster for our team but it's harder making a decision when everyone receives zeros on an event... :mrgreen:
Yeah, zeros are a bit unusual. I haven't seen anything like the derivations in the later part of that test since taking that one, but a fair bit of the rest does get covered. In the tests I've taken, however, that stuff is typically intermingled with some simpler stuff (i.e. simple Boyle's/Ideal Gas Law problems, q=mc∆T, etc.)
Lower Merion 2017
Subtitled: Revenge of the Non-Harriton

Placement Record:

Code: Islip | Conestoga | Tiger | Regionals | States
Out of: 61 | 42 | 36 | 37 | 36

Chemistry Lab: 9 | - | - | 4 | 4
Astronomy: 14 | - | 5 | 10 | 3
Material Science: 12 | 19 | 9 | 5 | 9
Optics: 14 | 7 | 3 | 4 | 2
kaziscioly
State: IL

Post by kaziscioly »

What is the distinction between average molecular velocity and root mean square velocity, and how do you calculate them differently? The only formula I have been introduced to is Sqrt[3RT / M], and I don't quite understand how average velocity should be calculated differently.

Return to “2017 Lab Events”