Chem Lab C

_deltaV
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chem Lab C

Post by _deltaV »

Just adding to what Avogadro said, in the rules it states that you have to know general chemistry concepts, stoichiometry being one of them. It's completely fair for a proctor to make a test consisting entirely of gas and thermo stoich calculations. In fact, our regional supervisors do just that every year, no conceptual questions
Boca Raton High School
- Helicopters - Microbe Mission
- Chem Lab - Experimental Design

"Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down." -Adam Savage
gryphaea1635
Division: Grad
State: KS

Post by gryphaea1635 »

Have any of you taken the Captain's Tryouts Chem Lab test (from Syosset High)? A bunch of people who tried out flat out received zeros on it. I don't do Chem Lab myself, so is the test really that difficult? I'm trying to decide on a roster for our team but it's harder making a decision when everyone receives zeros on an event... :mrgreen:
ESKKEEEETTTIIITT
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

gryphaea1635 wrote:Have any of you taken the Captain's Tryouts Chem Lab test (from Syosset High)? A bunch of people who tried out flat out received zeros on it. I don't do Chem Lab myself, so is the test really that difficult? I'm trying to decide on a roster for our team but it's harder making a decision when everyone receives zeros on an event... :mrgreen:
It's certainly a very difficult test (especially the derivations in the latter half) but if people got zeroes they clearly must not have taken a chemistry class yet. I could probably score at least 40 points just off of what I learned in chem (though admittedly I took AP and got a 5).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Avogadro
State: PA

Post by Avogadro »

gryphaea1635 wrote:Have any of you taken the Captain's Tryouts Chem Lab test (from Syosset High)? A bunch of people who tried out flat out received zeros on it. I don't do Chem Lab myself, so is the test really that difficult? I'm trying to decide on a roster for our team but it's harder making a decision when everyone receives zeros on an event... :mrgreen:
Yeah, zeros are a bit unusual. I haven't seen anything like the derivations in the later part of that test since taking that one, but a fair bit of the rest does get covered. In the tests I've taken, however, that stuff is typically intermingled with some simpler stuff (i.e. simple Boyle's/Ideal Gas Law problems, q=mc∆T, etc.)
Lower Merion 2017
Subtitled: Revenge of the Non-Harriton

Placement Record:

Code: Islip | Conestoga | Tiger | Regionals | States
Out of: 61 | 42 | 36 | 37 | 36

Chemistry Lab: 9 | - | - | 4 | 4
Astronomy: 14 | - | 5 | 10 | 3
Material Science: 12 | 19 | 9 | 5 | 9
Optics: 14 | 7 | 3 | 4 | 2
kaziscioly
Division: C
State: IL

Post by kaziscioly »

What is the distinction between average molecular velocity and root mean square velocity, and how do you calculate them differently? The only formula I have been introduced to is Sqrt[3RT / M], and I don't quite understand how average velocity should be calculated differently.

Return to “2017 Lab Events”