bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Chem Lab C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chem Lab C

Post by ScienceOlympian »

For people who have done this event before, would you say that it goes above an AP Chemistry/Zumdahl level?
I don't know if it's worth it to read a Physical Chem book for Gases/Thermodynamics if the actual test won't be above my Zumdahl textbook. Would it be more efficient to practice the questions in Zumdahl or read Atkins Physical Chem for more information?

i'm probably going to read atkins anyway for chemistry olympiad but that would be after invitationals.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
slowpoke
State: TX

Post by slowpoke »

ScienceOlympian wrote:For people who have done this event before, would you say that it goes above an AP Chemistry/Zumdahl level?
I don't know if it's worth it to read a Physical Chem book for Gases/Thermodynamics if the actual test won't be above my Zumdahl textbook. Would it be more efficient to practice the questions in Zumdahl or read Atkins Physical Chem for more information?

i'm probably going to read atkins anyway for chemistry olympiad but that would be after invitationals.
I would say it rarely ever goes above Zumdahl level if at all. The only instances I have ever seen it go above would be at MIT and the regionals I went to 2 years ago (test written by chem camper).
However, I would think reading a physical chem book is overkill anyway unless you are trying to do well at IChO or something.
2017 R/S/N
Astronomy - 1/1/2
Chem Lab - 4/2/5
Hovercraft - 2/1/7
Materials Science - x/2/1

William P. Clements HS '17
_deltaV
State: FL

Post by _deltaV »

I have to disagree. Our regional exam was honors Chem level, while the Cypress Falls invitational we went to last year had a few questions well above AP level, both with gases and kinetics. Plan for studying AP level but also learn more complicated concepts because they will show up. The general rule of thumb with most tests we see and write is 25% stupid easy, 50% moderately difficult, and 25% impossible. That one question could be the difference between placing and not
Boca Raton High School
- Helicopters - Microbe Mission
- Chem Lab - Experimental Design

"Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down." -Adam Savage
ic3kreem

Post by ic3kreem »

Does anyone know of any other resources to study besides an AP Chem textbook like Zumdahl/Atkins?

Also what are some possible labs for this year?

Thanks
bigrichard68

Post by bigrichard68 »

Can someone answer ic3kreem's question? I'm also wondering but no one has replied in four days...

What's the point of this site?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bigdick69 wrote:Can someone answer ic3kreem's question? I'm also wondering but no one has replied in four days...

What's the point of this site?
All of us aren't competent in every event. If you have an answer, feel free to contribute it. The site is only active if people keep it active.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

There are a whole bunch of resources listed on the official event page: https://www.soinc.org/chemistry_lab_c

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
_deltaV
State: FL

Post by _deltaV »

Some of the labs we've done:
- Reacting acetic acid and sodium bicarbonate and collecting CO2 over water to determine the mass of the bicarbonate sample
- Reacting magnesium with hydrochloric acid, and measuring the change in temperature using a calorimeter to determine heat evolved as well as how much hydrogen gas was produced
- Styrofoam cup calorimeters
- Dissolving something like ammonium chloride or a hydroxide in water and measuring the temperature

I ran a lab as practice for my team that involved reacting sodium thiosulfate and HCl and then predicting the amount of SO2 gas released by the reaction
Boca Raton High School
- Helicopters - Microbe Mission
- Chem Lab - Experimental Design

"Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down." -Adam Savage
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

ic3kreem wrote:Does anyone know of any other resources to study besides an AP Chem textbook like Zumdahl/Atkins?
An AP text should be sufficient. If you want to look into textbooks that delve deeper into this year's topics, then you can feel free, but I think for the majority of teams, an AP text is fine.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “2017 Lab Events”