Forensics C

markuswso17
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by markuswso17 »

alli_burnett wrote:This was my second test with the Woz, and I was definitely more prepared this time. I think the test was well written and very difficult, which is to be expected. My only complaint is that the microscope that my team had was really crappy. It was super difficult to focus and the lens was super dirty. It took too long to ID the hairs with the crappy microscope so I basically had to make educated guesses on about 1/2 of the hairs. Otherwise, the test was well-written, the Woz was strict but a good proctor, and I enjoyed taking the test.
Do you remember which station you were at? Kinda curious as to if there were many stations with bad microscopes.
Alumni
Fairfax High School Captain 2017
Electric Vehicle Nationals 4th place 2017
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://tinyurl.com/markuswso17FB
2016-2017 Events: Electric Vehicle, Forensics, Game On, Robot Arm
alleycat03
Division: C
State: KS

Post by alleycat03 »

markuswso17 wrote:
alli_burnett wrote:This was my second test with the Woz, and I was definitely more prepared this time. I think the test was well written and very difficult, which is to be expected. My only complaint is that the microscope that my team had was really crappy. It was super difficult to focus and the lens was super dirty. It took too long to ID the hairs with the crappy microscope so I basically had to make educated guesses on about 1/2 of the hairs. Otherwise, the test was well-written, the Woz was strict but a good proctor, and I enjoyed taking the test.
Do you remember which station you were at? Kinda curious as to if there were many stations with bad microscopes.
I'm not sure of the number, but our station was the closest to the test graders.
Olathe North Science Olympiad
Class of 2018
Forensics, Herpetology, Ecology, and Mousetrap Vehicle
markuswso17
State: VA

Post by markuswso17 »

alli_burnett wrote:
markuswso17 wrote:
Aw, I wasn't at that table. Seems to be a more wide-spread issue. Not sure if that's good or bad since a lot of people may have had the disadvantage, but it also made the test a little more on luck than I would have liked.

I'm not sure of the number, but our station was the closest to the test graders.
Alumni
Fairfax High School Captain 2017
Electric Vehicle Nationals 4th place 2017
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://tinyurl.com/markuswso17FB
2016-2017 Events: Electric Vehicle, Forensics, Game On, Robot Arm
alleycat03
Division: C
State: KS

Post by alleycat03 »

markuswso17 wrote:
alli_burnett wrote:
markuswso17 wrote: Do you remember which station you were at? Kinda curious as to if there were many stations with bad microscopes.
alli_burnett wrote:I'm not sure of the number, but our station was the closest to the test graders.
Aw, I wasn't at that table. Seems to be a more wide-spread issue. Not sure if that's good or bad since a lot of people may have had the disadvantage, but it also made the test a little more on luck than I would have liked.
Yeah, I had read somewhere that the microscopes weren't high quality, but I wasn't expecting them to be that bad.
Olathe North Science Olympiad
Class of 2018
Forensics, Herpetology, Ecology, and Mousetrap Vehicle
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

alli_burnett wrote:
markuswso17 wrote:
alli_burnett wrote:
Yeah, I had read somewhere that the microscopes weren't high quality, but I wasn't expecting them to be that bad.
Heh by my senior year I gave up on even trying to use the microscope at some of my competitions (including nats)
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!

Return to “2017 Lab Events”