Materials Science C

BuildingFriend
State: DC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Materials Science C

Post by BuildingFriend »

hearthstone224 wrote:Another quick question for you all. I would post on Question Marathon but it is a bit inactive and I've already posted a question on there, so here goes:

Balls' layers in cubic close packing which are in front of each other are
A) twelfth
B) tenth
C) thirteenth
D) sixteenth

I had no idea what this is asking and after a quick google, I still don't know. Can someone help me?
B: 10th
Fermilicious
hearthstone224
Division: C
State: IL

Post by hearthstone224 »

BuildingFriend wrote:
hearthstone224 wrote:Another quick question for you all. I would post on Question Marathon but it is a bit inactive and I've already posted a question on there, so here goes:

Balls' layers in cubic close packing which are in front of each other are
A) twelfth
B) tenth
C) thirteenth
D) sixteenth

I had no idea what this is asking and after a quick google, I still don't know. Can someone help me?
B: 10th
That's right. Can you explain what process you used to get that answer or is this just like one of those problems where you have to know something specific?
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Mat Sci-> Second at regionals
RSensing -> First at regionals
Towers-> Third at regionals.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Assuming I understand, it's asking about when there's a repeat layer. Starting with some first layer (1), every multiple of three thereafter is a repeat. 4, 7, 10...but so would be 13 and 16. :?:
bramblefang222
State: MO

Post by bramblefang222 »

Yes I am starting VERY late..haha..my regional is this Saturday :| but nonetheless I need help. Or at least advice. How should I start my note sheets for this event? My coach threw me into the event and it looks like a lot of stuff squished into an event.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance :D
Warrensburg Science Olympiad
My 2018 events : Herpetology, Anatomy,
Helicopters, Microbe Mission, Write it Do it, Remote Sensing
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

bramblefang222 wrote:Yes I am starting VERY late..haha..my regional is this Saturday :| but nonetheless I need help. Or at least advice. How should I start my note sheets for this event? My coach threw me into the event and it looks like a lot of stuff squished into an event.

Hey bramblefang! Would suggest first looking at all the previous things on the discussion and also taking a couple practice tests if you have the time.

Also, you can also make sure you know all the classes of materials- ceramics, polymers, composites and all. Make sure that you know all properties of these as I feel there is a lot of stuff regarding those.

Know the types of packing (FCC, BCC, SC) and all that too, the names and the type of bonding and nicknames.
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

bramblefang222
State: MO

Post by bramblefang222 »

hearthstone224 wrote:
bramblefang222 wrote:Yes I am starting VERY late..haha..my regional is this Saturday :| but nonetheless I need help. Or at least advice. How should I start my note sheets for this event? My coach threw me into the event and it looks like a lot of stuff squished into an event.

Hey bramblefang! Would suggest first looking at all the previous things on the discussion and also taking a couple practice tests if you have the time.

Also, you can also make sure you know all the classes of materials- ceramics, polymers, composites and all. Make sure that you know all properties of these as I feel there is a lot of stuff regarding those.

Know the types of packing (FCC, BCC, SC) and all that too, the names and the type of bonding and nicknames.
Thanks hearthstone224! My partner and I were able to win 1st with your help on the on the sheet bit and my previous chem classes :)
Warrensburg Science Olympiad
My 2018 events : Herpetology, Anatomy,
Helicopters, Microbe Mission, Write it Do it, Remote Sensing
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

bramblefang222 wrote:
hearthstone224 wrote:

Thanks hearthstone224! My partner and I were able to win 1st with your help on the on the sheet bit and my previous chem classes :)
Congrats!! How was the test? What was it like?

Fluorine
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by Fluorine »

The regional test I took this past Saturday was surprisingly decent. Ended up placing 2nd

The event was 25 min lab and then 25 min test written by an inorganic chemist. The test portion was focused solely on chemistry and included basics questions as classifying elements and then bonding relationships. But then increased to include doping, miller indices and a nice mix of easy and then tricky cubic lattices questions. Had some pretty random questions on the impurity found in ruby and the lowest atomic weighted element with no stable isotopes. No math though on this section.

The lab was very basic using a piece of gum (i don't think it was gum but don't know what it actually was) and then placing a glass lens plate ontop of it. Then measuring the diameter of the gum to calculate a creep rate (time versus % difference of circle diameter). The lab was very easy as the graph was a simple linear relationship. There were about 7 basic questions asking basic creep concepts and how to improve creep rate for metals too for this section.
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Fluorine wrote:The regional test I took this past Saturday was surprisingly decent. Ended up placing 2nd

The event was 25 min lab and then 25 min test written by an inorganic chemist. The test portion was focused solely on chemistry and included basics questions as classifying elements and then bonding relationships. But then increased to include doping, miller indices and a nice mix of easy and then tricky cubic lattices questions. Had some pretty random questions on the impurity found in ruby and the lowest atomic weighted element with no stable isotopes. No math though on this section.

The lab was very basic using a piece of gum (i don't think it was gum but don't know what it actually was) and then placing a glass lens plate ontop of it. Then measuring the diameter of the gum to calculate a creep rate (time versus % difference of circle diameter). The lab was very easy as the graph was a simple linear relationship. There were about 7 basic questions asking basic creep concepts and how to improve creep rate for metals too for this section.
Congrats on second! I have a question, can you elaborate on the questions related to ruby? Like what about them did they ask?

Fluorine
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by Fluorine »

hearthstone224 wrote:
Fluorine wrote:The regional test I took this past Saturday was surprisingly decent. Ended up placing 2nd

Congrats on second! I have a question, can you elaborate on the questions related to ruby? Like what about them did they ask?
Its was basically something like this "A ruby is a pink to blood-red colored gemstone, it is mainly composed of (aluminium oxide). The red color of ruby can be attributed to presence of what element?

And then from google its chromium.
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling

Return to “2017 Lab Events”