Crime Busters B

Panda Weasley
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by Panda Weasley »

abriddle wrote:Hello- This is the first year I will be participating and was wondering where I can buy a practice kit that would contain everything needed? Thanks
You can buy practice kits online, but they can be pricey. If your school has had a team before they probably already have everything you need.
If not, and buying a kit is a problem, talk to a science teacher about borrowing supplies from them. They won't have everything you need, but it will cut down costs. In terms of the powders, fibers, polymers, etc. you can often find cheap sources online separate from kits. For fibers- craft stores often will give you a small sample for free or very cheap. Just make sure the fabric you are getting is 100% of the material you want.

Hope this helped!
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
abriddle
Been thanked: 0

Post by abriddle »

What is the best way to prepare for crime busters?
23aeg01

Post by 23aeg01 »

I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on how to tell if during powder analysis, which powders are mixtures.
ngangal

Post by ngangal »

This is our first time @ Science Oly so appreciate some guidance. What is the recommended answer for different fingerprint types? Are Loops should be further categorized as ulnar or radial? Same thing for fiber? Plant, Animal, Synthetic or should we further identify them as cotton, silk, wool, etc...
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

23aeg01 wrote: I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on how to tell if during powder analysis, which powders are mixtures.

I'd like to be able to help you with this, but I never did mixtures.

ngangal wrote:This is our first time @ Science Oly so appreciate some guidance. What is the recommended answer for different fingerprint types? Are Loops should be further categorized as ulnar or radial? Same thing for fiber? Plant, Animal, Synthetic or should we further identify them as cotton, silk, wool, etc...

The question should specify. Different tests will want different levels of specificity.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

I still remember doing this event. The fingerprints was the most confusing part, everything else was easy.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

23aeg01 wrote:I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on how to tell if during powder analysis, which powders are mixtures.
Per 3.a. in the rules, you'll be told if they're mixtures or not. The tricky part is figuring out what their components are, and there are too many to practice every combination. I'd make a handful and really work out the process of identifying one component followed by the other. Also, think like a supervisor. It's a far better question to mix sugar with cornstarch than it is to mix sugar and salt, for example.
Vince
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Vince »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:I still remember doing this event. The fingerprints was the most confusing part, everything else was easy.
Fingerprinting is actually the easiest. It's just matching.
Hermione

Post by Hermione »

Is there any burn tests for fibers in invitationals? Please Answer I have a tournament this saturday :P
egbertghost
Division: B
State: TX

Post by egbertghost »

Hermione wrote:Is there any burn tests for fibers in invitationals? Please Answer I have a tournament this saturday :P
I had the burn test at an invitational (MIT Kingwood), and sadly I didn't leave room in my notes for burn tests. :cry: I would recommend that you add information just in case, because you can never be sure what they will put.
Good luck!!
CyFalls/MIT/Anthony/District/Regional/State
Optics: x/10/5/2/
Invasive Species:3/3/5/1/
R&M:3/3/2/2/
Science Word:x/x/5/1/
Crime Busters:11/6/6/x/

Go Anthony/Cy-Ranch!

Return to “2017 Lab Events”