Food Science B

smolblob
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by smolblob »

just wanted some other opinions/thoughts: do you guys think fs will be replaced next year? if so, with what event?
carmel valley middle school!

part-time tiktaalik
ento is my lasaga
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Potions and Poisons is expected to move in next season. I'm all in favor because, while I love food (yeah, okay) and food chemistry, the last two years have been something...it's time for something a little more straightforward, which P&P is!
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NeilMehta »

Skink wrote:Potions and Poisons is expected to move in next season. I'm all in favor because, while I love food (yeah, okay) and food chemistry, the last two years have been something...it's time for something a little more straightforward, which P&P is!

I'm sorry I couldn't resist
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
fast__facts

Post by fast__facts »

What foods have you guys been given to test?? I want to try and test them myself to see if they are flammable?
fast__facts

Post by fast__facts »

Skink wrote:This isn't a discussion I was going to start, but I'm definitely participating now that it's a thing! :D
SPP SciO wrote:It's interesting - Crime Busters is the most similar event (bring a kit with you to perform lab tests at competition). However, the rules of Crime Busters clearly state: "Students may bring only specified items...supervisors will check the kits, confiscate non-allowed items, and have the right to penalize... up to 10%"

No such language appears in Food Science. I wonder if this is an oversight, a space saving issue for the rule book, or just different writing styles produced by two different event authors? It seems as though including a clause like that in the Food Science rules would save a lot of trouble.
The closest events are Powders and P&P, the ones in its rotation. Powders did have that provision as I recall, and there were thought-provoking discussions on this site concerning that a couple years ago. Amidst that, I made a very interesting comment that I have to append to my last post. Apparently, the graduated cylinder problem isn't new to me because I submitted a FAQ for it that got an official response. From my e-mail:
Thank you for your question. A response to your question has been posted on
the website http://www.soinc.org
The original question is included for your records; there is no need to
respond unless you feel there is an error.
============================================================================
Question:
Are graduated cylinders "similar small containers for mixing", or are
they a piece of equipment that event supervisors are supposed to bring (per
section 2.b.vi.) that could incur the penalty noted in section 2 line 3?

============================================================================
Answer:
Small graduated cylinders are permissible in the students kits. Event
supervisors should not confiscate them.
Now, old FAQ responses aren't tournament-enforceable, but they do shed light on how others feel about the issue. Formally, in that year, I was wrong. Obviously not convinced, though...as for the penalty allowance, have older versions of this event, specifically, ever have it? I don't recall if and can't figure out why Powders and CB have it and this doesn't, but it's interesting to think about.
Can you think of any unique flammable foods that they give you to test? I have my invitational soon and don't I want to at least get a ribbon there. Thanks!
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

I think we're still figuring out what the best foodstuff for this is :? . Anything solid but oily is a good bet. Here's what I know:
1. Do not use peanuts. You should not see these at competition because of allergies.
2. Do not use marshmallows. They may ruin your device.
3. Potato chips burn but not anywhere near to completion.

You could read back through the topic for some ideas.
dvegadvol

Post by dvegadvol »

We've seen Cheetos - both baked and original, Funyuns and Fritos so far this year... :D

Return to “2017 Lab Events”