Food Science B

dvegadvol
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by dvegadvol »

Grains (cereals), pseudocereals and everything that is associated with them.

Their biology, chemistry, taxonomy, composition, structures, density, etc are all in play.

Along with any and all products made with them - flours, oils, animal feeds, baked goods, etc. all are in play. Along with leaveners, food additives, GMOs, gluten and gluten-free products.
Jesusfather123

Post by Jesusfather123 »

Please can some one say what is needed to be prepared regarding food grains?
Dr BobR
Division: B
State: OH

Post by Dr BobR »

I am a retired biochemistry/human nutrition college professor. I am "trying" to prepare our team (7th graders) for the exam portion by using modifications of my lecture notes that I used in my college lecture courses. I started with a discussion of the definition of a nutrient and the chemical/nutrient composition of food, followed by discussions of the structure and function of water, simple sugars (mono- and disaccharides), followed by oligo- and polysaccharides, amino acids and proteins, and lipids. These discussions involved numerous Power Point slides (the students each got a hard copy of the slides). I then cover the concept of energy derived from the macronutrients, grain structure and composition, gluten formation, aspects of baking with flour (including leavening agents), and end up with a few slides discussing chemical assay of protein, sugar, starch and lipid. Whether I have been able to get all, or any, of this information in an understandable manner to the kids remains to be seen. The challenge is getting the college level information down to a 7th grade level!

I hope this helps some out there who are wondering how to prepare, and where to start, for the Food Science portion.
smurphy00
Division: C

Post by smurphy00 »

Hi, I'm going to be supervising this event. I did it last year, but the topics are drastically different (dairy vs grains). Anyone who has taken a test for this year (or other event supervisors for this event!), typically how many lab tests (iodine, Benedict's, etc) does a student have to do, and typically what kind of foodstuff does a student have to measure with their calorimeter? Is a piece of bread okay to use? Thanks in advance :)
Jesusfather123

Post by Jesusfather123 »

Any good websites / resource for studying about grain structure,composition?
smurphy00

Post by smurphy00 »

Measuring the food energy content in joules/gram seems highly...strange? It would make much more sense to measure it in kJ, or even kcal. I know it says 'joules/gram' in the rules, but perhaps can an event supervisor ask for it in kJ/g or kcal/g?
lianahubanks 24

Post by lianahubanks 24 »

any recommendations how to study the molecules example:glucose
lianahubanks 24

Post by lianahubanks 24 »

Any recomendations how to study the molecules?
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NeilMehta »

lianahubanks 24 wrote:Any recomendations how to study the molecules?
Try http://molview.org/to study the structure of the molecules
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

If the rules say "penalized or disqualified", can that include being tiered? I figure it does, but I'm not very familiar with this event.

Return to “2017 Lab Events”