bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Mystery Design B [TRIAL]

Post by bernard »

Mystery Design is a trial event for Division B in New York.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
MysterySkye04
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mystery Design B [TRIAL]

Post by MysterySkye04 »

Anyone have a simpler, more understandable explanation of the rules? I was talking to my coach, and he said he didn't understand and the director for the NYC (in Queens) competition didn't know either. Thanks
Events 2017-2018
Meterology ~ Ecology
Potions and Poisons ~ Wright Stuff
~Solar System~
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

MysterySkye04 wrote:Anyone have a simpler, more understandable explanation of the rules? I was talking to my coach, and he said he didn't understand and the director for the NYC (in Queens) competition didn't know either. Thanks
As best I understand it (which is not much, but hopefully alright) the event supervisor comes up with a task, and competitors build a device to do the task. It reminds me a little of Junkyard Challenge, except more vague.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
MysterySkye04

Post by MysterySkye04 »

Unome wrote:
MysterySkye04 wrote:Anyone have a simpler, more understandable explanation of the rules? I was talking to my coach, and he said he didn't understand and the director for the NYC (in Queens) competition didn't know either. Thanks
As best I understand it (which is not much, but hopefully alright) the event supervisor comes up with a task, and competitors build a device to do the task. It reminds me a little of Junkyard Challenge, except more vague.
Thank you, but is it at the competition that you build the device, or will they tell you before hand? It said something in the rules about you being told what to build two weeks prior to the competition, so is that what's going to happen?
Events 2017-2018
Meterology ~ Ecology
Potions and Poisons ~ Wright Stuff
~Solar System~
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Based on the name it reminds me of the old Mystery Architecture, where the event supervisor could give you one of a few predefined tasks to do, like build a boat made of paper that can hold X amount of pennies, or build a paper cantilever that can hold X amount of pennies.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
SPP SciO

Post by SPP SciO »

The build is done on site, but the task/materials will be released ahead of time. The first part (technical drawing) is done beforehand; as far as I know, the goal is to build your "thing" to the same specs as the drawing. Then it's evaluated.

The materials will be common enough to where it should be reasonable to a few practice builds before competition. The million dollar question at this point is, What is the task and what are the materials! I'm hoping that it's the same for all regions throughout the state. I'm guessing that the State challenge won't be released until after all the regionals are finished.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
BuildingFriend
State: DC

Post by BuildingFriend »

I would agree with EastStroudsburg on this one- when Mystery Architecture was a trial event in Jersey, it was exactly as how he described it. For this however, it might be like experimental design but more building based which would entail more writing and more attention to detail rather than just building a structure to do "X" action.
Fermilicious
CVMSAvalacheStudent
Division: C
State: CA

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

SPP SciO wrote:The build is done on site, but the task/materials will be released ahead of time. The first part (technical drawing) is done beforehand; as far as I know, the goal is to build your "thing" to the same specs as the drawing. Then it's evaluated.

The materials will be common enough to where it should be reasonable to a few practice builds before competition. The million dollar question at this point is, What is the task and what are the materials! I'm hoping that it's the same for all regions throughout the state. I'm guessing that the State challenge won't be released until after all the regionals are finished.
How much time do they give you to build it?
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
SPP SciO

Post by SPP SciO »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:The build is done on site, but the task/materials will be released ahead of time. The first part (technical drawing) is done beforehand; as far as I know, the goal is to build your "thing" to the same specs as the drawing. Then it's evaluated.

How much time do they give you to build it?
I believe my students said 30 minutes (at the Cornell Div. B invitational). They didn't indicate to me that there was a post-analysis write-up or anything like that, it was just a build session followed by a testing session. For context, it was a parachute constructed from cardstock, string, masking tape, and plastic flex straws that was supposed to slow the descent of a falling stuffed animal. For more context, my students placed 13th and 14th - in a field of 14 participants - so I'd definitely suggest studying the rubric that's posted on the NYS website and making sure that the technical drawing & analysis is complete!
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Division: C

Post by NeilMehta »

Does anyone know if the blueprint has to be impounded?
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Return to “2017 Lab Events”