Anatomy & Physiology B/C

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby bernard » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:00 am

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

bhavjain
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby bhavjain » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:45 am

Does anyone know if the supraoptic nucleus of the hypothalamus synthesizes only ADH or also oxytocin? What about the paraventricular nucleus - does it only synthesize oxytocin? I've seen mixed answers on the web.
2017 Science Olympiad - (Invites TBD/Reg/State/Nats) - Division C

Anatomy: (-/-/-/-)
Astronomy: (-/-/-/-)
Disease Detectives: (-/-/-/-)
Ecology: (-/-/-/-)
Microbe Mission: (-/-/-/-)
Remote Sensing: (-/-/-/-)
Rocks & Minerals: (-/-/-/-)
Towers: (-/-/-/-)

Uber
State: TX

Postby Uber » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:24 am

bhavjain wrote:Does anyone know if the supraoptic nucleus of the hypothalamus synthesizes only ADH or also oxytocin? What about the paraventricular nucleus - does it only synthesize oxytocin? I've seen mixed answers on the web.

"supraoptic nuclei produce ADH and paraventricular nuclei produce oxytocin"
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads ... ry.515287/
Wikipedia might quote not mainstream research. Stick with one each.
2018 projected events: A&P, Eco, Exp Des, MM

2016 Nationals
2017 Nationals: Experimental Design (1st), Microbe Mission (6th)
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '18

mangothecat
Division: B
State: CA

Postby mangothecat » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:14 am

bhavjain wrote:Does anyone know if the supraoptic nucleus of the hypothalamus synthesizes only ADH or also oxytocin? What about the paraventricular nucleus - does it only synthesize oxytocin? I've seen mixed answers on the web.

According to Human Anatomy & Physiology - 8th ed by Marieb and Hoehn, the supraoptic and paraventricular nuclei produce both ADH and oxytocin.
This is also supported by: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10599731, which states "The hypothalamic supraoptic (SON) and paraventricular (PVN) nuclei consist of arginine vasopressin (AVP)- and oxytocin (OT)-synthesizing neurons that send projections to the neurohypophysis, whereas the PVN also projects to other brain areas".
These two sources seem pretty reliable to me. Hope this helps!
“Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause most inconvenience.” ~Pam Brown
2016: Churchill, Mira Loma, Mesa/Wilson, Wicklund, Regs, States
Anat&Physio: 2/3/1/1/1/
Disease Detectives: 1/1/2/1/1/
Microbe Mission: 1/4/2/2/2/

QuantumTech

Postby QuantumTech » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:08 am

Can someone clarify part V of The Nervous System (Peripheral Nervous System-neuroganglia)? Do I just need to know what a ganglion is or are there specific ones to know throughout the PNS? Also for Spinal Cord organization is it necessary to memorize all the spinal cord tracts (eg. dorsal column–medial lemniscal pathways, spinothalamal/cerebellar pathways)?

PianoDoc
State: OH

Postby PianoDoc » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:06 am

QuantumTech wrote:Can someone clarify part V of The Nervous System (Peripheral Nervous System-neuroganglia)? Do I just need to know what a ganglion is or are there specific ones to know throughout the PNS? Also for Spinal Cord organization is it necessary to memorize all the spinal cord tracts (eg. dorsal column–medial lemniscal pathways, spinothalamal/cerebellar pathways)?

I doubt you need to memorize specific tracts. You'll likely never come across more than one question here or there on anything super specific, even at states/nats.

sciolyFTW_aku
State: MO

Postby sciolyFTW_aku » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:56 am

PianoDoc wrote:
QuantumTech wrote:Can someone clarify part V of The Nervous System (Peripheral Nervous System-neuroganglia)? Do I just need to know what a ganglion is or are there specific ones to know throughout the PNS? Also for Spinal Cord organization is it necessary to memorize all the spinal cord tracts (eg. dorsal column–medial lemniscal pathways, spinothalamal/cerebellar pathways)?

I doubt you need to memorize specific tracts. You'll likely never come across more than one question here or there on anything super specific, even at states/nats.

But hey, if you like studying about that, do it for fun! But, from an efficiency standpoint, I wouldn't start studying about those until nationals, at the earliest, keep it on my reference sheet for state.

-sciolyFTW_aku
Projected 2017 Events: A&P, MM, ECO, HV, MP

B-)

sciolyFTW_aku

Postby sciolyFTW_aku » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:00 am

mangothecat wrote:

According to Human Anatomy & Physiology - 8th ed by Marieb and Hoehn, the supraoptic and paraventricular nuclei produce both ADH and oxytocin.
This is also supported by: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10599731, which states "The hypothalamic supraoptic (SON) and paraventricular (PVN) nuclei consist of arginine vasopressin (AVP)- and oxytocin (OT)-synthesizing neurons that send projections to the neurohypophysis, whereas the PVN also projects to other brain areas".

I have the same book as you, except the 3rd edition, and it says that OXT is produced by the PVN and ADH is produced by SON.

-sciolyFTW_aku

B-)

bhavjain

Postby bhavjain » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:48 am

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:
mangothecat wrote:

I have the same book as you, except the 3rd edition, and it says that OXT is produced by the PVN and ADH is produced by SON.

-sciolyFTW_aku

The 3rd edition is probably quite outdated...I'm on the 9th edition lol.

QuantumTech

Postby QuantumTech » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:10 am

For neuroganglia in part v, do we just need to know the types of neuroganglia and what they do, or are there specific ones to know? I have parasympathetic and sympathetic ganglia right now.

sciolyFTW_aku

Postby sciolyFTW_aku » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:27 am

bhavjain wrote:
sciolyFTW_aku wrote:
mangothecat wrote:According to Human Anatomy & Physiology - 8th ed by Marieb and Hoehn, the supraoptic and paraventricular nuclei produce both ADH and oxytocin.

-sciolyFTW_aku

My book led me to top 10 at nationals, so I'm fine with the 3rd edition. (I got it for $2 at a book fair too :P)

-sciolyFTW_aku

B-)

bhavjain

Postby bhavjain » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:13 am

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:
bhavjain wrote:
sciolyFTW_aku wrote:

-sciolyFTW_aku

My book led me to top 10 at nationals, so I'm fine with the 3rd edition. (I got it for $2 at a book fair too :P)

-sciolyFTW_aku

I'm not suggesting your book is flawed/wrong, but maybe recent research has suggested that both nuclei produce both hormones, and the newer edition may reflect this.

Sciolapedia

Postby Sciolapedia » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:29 am

Does anyone know when the training handout for anatomy will be posted on soinc.org?

rafaelnadal
State: TX

Postby rafaelnadal » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:37 am

How specific do we need to study? For example, do we need to know the difference between the different types of focal epilepsy and the different types of generalized epilepsy? And have MRI's of the abnormal brains of each disease?

rgandhi2002

Postby rgandhi2002 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:32 am

rafaelnadal wrote:How specific do we need to study? For example, do we need to know the difference between the different types of focal epilepsy and the different types of generalized epilepsy?

Generally for a regional or state level test, I would expect not especially for Division B.
And have MRI's of the abnormal brains of each disease?

Though this may not necessarily show up on a test (although it technically could), it would be beneficial to know as it could help better your understanding of the effects of a disease.

Return to “2017 Study Events”