sciolyFTW_aku
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by sciolyFTW_aku »

Hi,
rafaelnadal wrote:How specific do we need to study? For example, do we need to know the difference between the different types of focal epilepsy and the different types of generalized epilepsy? And have MRI's of the abnormal brains of each disease?
You never know :O

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
rafaelnadal
State: TX

Post by rafaelnadal »

Can anyone tell me if constriction of blood vessels is parasympathetic or sympathetic? I see different answers in different places..
justgreene
State: FL

Post by justgreene »

rafaelnadal wrote:Can anyone tell me if constriction of blood vessels is parasympathetic or sympathetic? I see different answers in different places..
I'm pretty sure that it's both. For example, the sympathetic nervous system will dilate the blood vessels that supply the skeletal muscles and heart (via B1 adrenergic receptors), as well as constrict blood vessels that supply visceral organs such as the intestines (via a1 adrenergic receptors). The parasympathetic nervous system will do the opposite via Ach rather than norepinephrine/epinephrine.
Fluorine
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by Fluorine »

System Handouts are now on national website!
Nervous
Sense Organs
Endocrine

Sample Test
RabbiNick

Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by RabbiNick »

I was put on Anatomy and Physiology. Any recommendations from experienced people? Links that may be helpful? Online Tests? Study guides? Test samples?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

RabbiNick wrote:I was put on Anatomy and Physiology. Any recommendations from experienced people? Links that may be helpful? Online Tests? Study guides? Test samples?
1) How long until your competition?
2) Which competition is it?
3) What are you aiming for?
sciolyFTW_aku
State: MO

Post by sciolyFTW_aku »

RabbiNick wrote:I was put on Anatomy and Physiology. Any recommendations from experienced people? Links that may be helpful? Online Tests? Study guides? Test samples?
Hello RabbiNick,

Well, well, lucky you! A&P is one of the best events in Science Olympiad, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Anyways, basics are always first. Take a look at the training handout on the soinc.org website, and try to learn all of the information from them. They are pretty thorough in some aspects, so don't be discouraged if you don't understand on your first try.

Next, try to buy an A&P textbook. Some of the newer ones can be really expensive, so try to look for an older edition. I am using Human A&P by Marieb, 3rd edition, and even though it might be but outdated on some things (I can always search up stuff if it looks wrong), it is a very good book! (Also, the Openstax A&P Book is avaliable online, and that's a pretty good book as well.)

Finally, knowledge is useless if you can not use it (some famous person probably said that, idk). After you have learned a substantial portion of the rules, try to do some online practice tests (just Google them). When you think you are finally ready, do the SciOly Test Exchange A&P tests. Those are high-quality tests, and will be similar to the ones at regionals or state.

To conclude, just know that sometimes, you'll get angry/frustrated/bored of the material. At these times, it's best to do some other things (like other Science Olympiad events!) or just relaxing activities. As I said earlier, A&P is a challenging event, so sometimes the material can be overwhelming, and that's okay! However, it's also a really fun event, and I hope that you have a good time participating in it!

-sciolyFTW_aku
RabbiNick

Post by RabbiNick »

1) How long until your competition?
Its on February 7th I believe (definitely February, i'll have to double check the schedule).
A&P Invitational
3) What are you aiming for?[/quote]
Getting first place. I have really good skills in the medical field, especially in anatomy. I want to become a doctor in the future so it really keeps me motivated to keep dong this event.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

RabbiNick wrote:1) How long until your competition?
Its on February 7th I believe (definitely February, i'll have to double check the schedule).
A&P Invitational
3) What are you aiming for?
Getting first place. I have really good skills in the medical field, especially in anatomy. I want to become a doctor in the future so it really keeps me motivated to keep dong this event.[/quote]
Ok, so you have enough time to learn the event pretty thoroughly. Definitely take sciolyFTW_aku's advice about order of studying (i.e. soinc.org materials > textbooks > internet research > deeper internet research if you have time > practice tests). Try to split the concepts into different chunks; sometimes the rules help with this, sometimes not. For example, 3.a.i (that's a rules reference by the way; not sure how new you are to Science Olympiad) is pretty clear-cut; getting an overview of the brain (four lobes of the cerebrum and their functions, different substructures like the cerebellum, medulla, etc, the different parts of the limbic system, and special things like Broca's Area) is a major chunk of the nervous system. However, much of the Endocrine system doesn't fit as neatly into categories; I'd recommend organizing yourself as you go through the basics and textbook reading, and then do your specific internet research based on that. Finding a methodical way to prepare is really the key for most study events. 6 weeks is a while, but not huge, so make sure to go in depth just enough so that you can cover all of the topics in that time - as you go through, you'll get better at figuring out how long it'll take.

Return to “2017 Study Events”