State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by bernard »

[wiki]Anatomy & Physiology[/wiki]
Anatomy & Physiology Test Exchange 2017
Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2015, 2016
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
bhavjain
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by bhavjain »

Does anyone know if the supraoptic nucleus of the hypothalamus synthesizes only ADH or also oxytocin? What about the paraventricular nucleus - does it only synthesize oxytocin? I've seen mixed answers on the web.
2017 Science Olympiad - (Invites TBD/Reg/State/Nats) - Division C

Anatomy: (-/-/-/-)
Astronomy: (-/-/-/-)
Disease Detectives: (-/-/-/-)
Ecology: (-/-/-/-)
Microbe Mission: (-/-/-/-)
Remote Sensing: (-/-/-/-)
Rocks & Minerals: (-/-/-/-)
Towers: (-/-/-/-)
Uber
State: TX

Post by Uber »

bhavjain wrote:Does anyone know if the supraoptic nucleus of the hypothalamus synthesizes only ADH or also oxytocin? What about the paraventricular nucleus - does it only synthesize oxytocin? I've seen mixed answers on the web.
"supraoptic nuclei produce ADH and paraventricular nuclei produce oxytocin"
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads ... ry.515287/
Wikipedia might quote not mainstream research. Stick with one each.
Harvard '22
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '18
mangothecat
Division: B
State: CA

Post by mangothecat »

bhavjain wrote:Does anyone know if the supraoptic nucleus of the hypothalamus synthesizes only ADH or also oxytocin? What about the paraventricular nucleus - does it only synthesize oxytocin? I've seen mixed answers on the web.
According to Human Anatomy & Physiology - 8th ed by Marieb and Hoehn, the supraoptic and paraventricular nuclei produce both ADH and oxytocin.
This is also supported by: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10599731, which states "The hypothalamic supraoptic (SON) and paraventricular (PVN) nuclei consist of arginine vasopressin (AVP)- and oxytocin (OT)-synthesizing neurons that send projections to the neurohypophysis, whereas the PVN also projects to other brain areas".
These two sources seem pretty reliable to me. Hope this helps!
“Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause most inconvenience.” ~Pam Brown
2016: Churchill, Mira Loma, Mesa/Wilson, Wicklund, Regs, States
Anat&Physio: 2/3/1/1/1/
Disease Detectives: 1/1/2/1/1/
Microbe Mission: 1/4/2/2/2/
QuantumTech

Post by QuantumTech »

Can someone clarify part V of The Nervous System (Peripheral Nervous System-neuroganglia)? Do I just need to know what a ganglion is or are there specific ones to know throughout the PNS? Also for Spinal Cord organization is it necessary to memorize all the spinal cord tracts (eg. dorsal column–medial lemniscal pathways, spinothalamal/cerebellar pathways)?
PianoDoc
State: OH

Post by PianoDoc »

QuantumTech wrote:Can someone clarify part V of The Nervous System (Peripheral Nervous System-neuroganglia)? Do I just need to know what a ganglion is or are there specific ones to know throughout the PNS? Also for Spinal Cord organization is it necessary to memorize all the spinal cord tracts (eg. dorsal column–medial lemniscal pathways, spinothalamal/cerebellar pathways)?
I doubt you need to memorize specific tracts. You'll likely never come across more than one question here or there on anything super specific, even at states/nats.
sciolyFTW_aku
State: MO

Post by sciolyFTW_aku »

PianoDoc wrote:
QuantumTech wrote:Can someone clarify part V of The Nervous System (Peripheral Nervous System-neuroganglia)? Do I just need to know what a ganglion is or are there specific ones to know throughout the PNS? Also for Spinal Cord organization is it necessary to memorize all the spinal cord tracts (eg. dorsal column–medial lemniscal pathways, spinothalamal/cerebellar pathways)?
I doubt you need to memorize specific tracts. You'll likely never come across more than one question here or there on anything super specific, even at states/nats.
But hey, if you like studying about that, do it for fun! But, from an efficiency standpoint, I wouldn't start studying about those until nationals, at the earliest, keep it on my reference sheet for state.

-sciolyFTW_aku
B-)
sciolyFTW_aku
State: MO

Post by sciolyFTW_aku »

mangothecat wrote:
According to Human Anatomy & Physiology - 8th ed by Marieb and Hoehn, the supraoptic and paraventricular nuclei produce both ADH and oxytocin.
This is also supported by: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10599731, which states "The hypothalamic supraoptic (SON) and paraventricular (PVN) nuclei consist of arginine vasopressin (AVP)- and oxytocin (OT)-synthesizing neurons that send projections to the neurohypophysis, whereas the PVN also projects to other brain areas".
I have the same book as you, except the 3rd edition, and it says that OXT is produced by the PVN and ADH is produced by SON.

-sciolyFTW_aku
B-)
bhavjain
State: PA

Post by bhavjain »

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:
mangothecat wrote:
I have the same book as you, except the 3rd edition, and it says that OXT is produced by the PVN and ADH is produced by SON.

-sciolyFTW_aku
The 3rd edition is probably quite outdated...I'm on the 9th edition lol.
2017 Science Olympiad - (Invites TBD/Reg/State/Nats) - Division C

Anatomy: (-/-/-/-)
Astronomy: (-/-/-/-)
Disease Detectives: (-/-/-/-)
Ecology: (-/-/-/-)
Microbe Mission: (-/-/-/-)
Remote Sensing: (-/-/-/-)
Rocks & Minerals: (-/-/-/-)
Towers: (-/-/-/-)
QuantumTech

Post by QuantumTech »

For neuroganglia in part v, do we just need to know the types of neuroganglia and what they do, or are there specific ones to know? I have parasympathetic and sympathetic ganglia right now.

Return to “2017 Study Events”