Anatomy & Physiology B/C

User avatar
farmerjoe279
Member
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: July 27th, 2016, 9:08 am
Division: B
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by farmerjoe279 » April 3rd, 2017, 9:08 am

Nerd_Bunny wrote:Do you guys think that all of the hormones given in the study handout with each organ are enough to study? Or are there more hormones that should be included?
For regionals, you should probably just learn those and their functions. For state you will probably need to learn more. For nats, you should priabaly know how they all are made ad their functions. For state you probably should hypo/hyper secretion for the basic hormones, what the ysmptoms are and what disease that might be.
2020 Events (R, S, N)
Anatomy:
Designer Genes:
Machines:

2019 Events (R, S, N)
Anatomy: 1, 2, 13
Heredity: 2, 1, 15
Meteorology: 1, 1, 10

User avatar
Nerd_Bunny
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 9:36 am
Division: C
State: ID
Location: Gravity Falls
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by Nerd_Bunny » April 3rd, 2017, 11:02 am

farmerjoe279 wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:Do you guys think that all of the hormones given in the study handout with each organ are enough to study? Or are there more hormones that should be included?
For regionals, you should probably just learn those and their functions. For state you will probably need to learn more. For nats, you should priabaly know how they all are made ad their functions. For state you probably should hypo/hyper secretion for the basic hormones, what the ysmptoms are and what disease that might be.
Ok. Thank you!
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

sciolyFTW_aku
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: June 10th, 2015, 11:48 am
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by sciolyFTW_aku » April 3rd, 2017, 6:41 pm

Hello,

Does Wallerian degeneration occur in both the PNS and CNS, or just the CNS? Wikipedia says both, a majority refer to it occurring in peripheral nerves.

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
B-)

mc408
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: January 25th, 2017, 4:45 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by mc408 » April 9th, 2017, 8:29 am

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:Hello,

Does Wallerian degeneration occur in both the PNS and CNS, or just the CNS? Wikipedia says both, a majority refer to it occurring in peripheral nerves.

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
It seems that it does occur in both. However, microglia recruitment is slow and oligodendrocytes fail to degrade the myelin/other debris, so WD occurs much slower in the CNS than in the PNS. I find it rather strange that many sites describe it as unique to the PNS, as peer reviewed articles like this one (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0041441) are studying its mechanisms in the CNS.
Mentor High School

User avatar
JoJoKeKe
Member
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:29 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by JoJoKeKe » April 12th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Hey, everyone! I'm sure you get this question often, but what resources do you recommend for this event? Our family owns a copy of Gray's Anatomy, but other than that not too many anatomical books. Do you recommend using Wikipedia in conjunction with other sites? Quizlet? I know that diagrams will be useful as well.

Thanks for your help- (I'm going to be heading to Missouri this weekend, and learned I'll actually be passing by Ladue for all you in MO!)
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions

sciencepeeps
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: February 22nd, 2017, 12:13 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by sciencepeeps » April 13th, 2017, 4:43 am

JoJoKeKe wrote:Hey, everyone! I'm sure you get this question often, but what resources do you recommend for this event? Our family owns a copy of Gray's Anatomy, but other than that not too many anatomical books. Do you recommend using Wikipedia in conjunction with other sites? Quizlet? I know that diagrams will be useful as well.

Thanks for your help- (I'm going to be heading to Missouri this weekend, and learned I'll actually be passing by Ladue for all you in MO!)
I know that I'm studying only the Div B topics, but Mader's Understanding of Huuman Anatomy and Physiology seems to cover all the topics that you need to know. Of course, it would be good to use more than one source. Wikipedia is good to start, and the more you look into online materials, you can find more sources. Grey's Anatomy is a good textbook as well.
18/19 Anatomy, Boomilever, widi

17/18 region/state/nation
Anatomy (2/6/-)
Mystery Architecture (-/2/-)
Towers (3/2/3)
Invitationals: 38
Regionals:11
State:6
Nationals:1

User avatar
Nerd_Bunny
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 9:36 am
Division: C
State: ID
Location: Gravity Falls
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by Nerd_Bunny » April 13th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Did anyone notice that the Mesa-Wilson invitational test on the test exchange doesn't have an answer key? I'd like to use it to study but I don't feel like researching every answer.
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

User avatar
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 318
Joined: August 27th, 2016, 5:27 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by NeilMehta » April 14th, 2017, 7:10 am

Nerd_Bunny wrote:Did anyone notice that the Mesa-Wilson invitational test on the test exchange doesn't have an answer key? I'd like to use it to study but I don't feel like researching every answer.
Yes, the key is definitely missing. However, some of the best studying occurs when you look for answers on your own. I would suggest taking the test anyway and putting in the effort to research the answers, because it will make learning and absorbing new information much easier.
Then again, if you're on a shortage of time, it's much better to just find a new one.
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

sciolyFTW_aku
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: June 10th, 2015, 11:48 am
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by sciolyFTW_aku » April 15th, 2017, 9:31 am

Hi,

Has anyone seen questions regarding the spinal nerves (other than the general gist of the plexuses) on any test so far? I'm debating whether I should spend a large amount of time on this, or move onto something more productive.

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
B-)

User avatar
Nerd_Bunny
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 9:36 am
Division: C
State: ID
Location: Gravity Falls
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by Nerd_Bunny » April 18th, 2017, 4:01 pm

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:Hi,

Has anyone seen questions regarding the spinal nerves (other than the general gist of the plexuses) on any test so far? I'm debating whether I should spend a large amount of time on this, or move onto something more productive.

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
On my test, I did not. Although I did see plenty about cranial nerves.
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

Locked

Return to “2017 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest