Disease Detectives B/C

Nerd_Bunny
Division: C
State: ID
Has thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

So at my state tournament, (Idaho,) my partner and I got a question that neither one of us knew. The first part asked what the sensitivity was, and the second part I can't remember. So my question is, what other term could it have been asking for? I think it started with an 's' as well, but I'm not sure. Looking through my textbook glossary, I think it could have been severity, but I'm not sure. If anyone could help me out here, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
JoJoKeKe
Been thanked: 0

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Nerd_Bunny wrote:So at my state tournament, (Idaho,) my partner and I got a question that neither one of us knew. The first part asked what the sensitivity was, and the second part I can't remember. So my question is, what other term could it have been asking for? I think it started with an 's' as well, but I'm not sure. Looking through my textbook glossary, I think it could have been severity, but I'm not sure. If anyone could help me out here, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
It's been a while since I've done Disease Detectives but I think I can help you.

Sensitivity is basically the chance of having a specific disease given that you have a disease. It can be calculated as:

Sensitivity = Number of disease positives testing positive / Number of people with a disease who test positive for a particular disease + number of people with a disease who test negative.

Conversely, another term closely related is specificity (is this the word that you couldn't remember?) This is basically the reciprocal idea, but I think it is more of an emphasis on not having a disease and also testing negative.

Specificity = number of people who test negative and don't have a disease / number of people who test negative and don't have a disease + number of people who don't have a disease but test positive

Gosh-- I'm surprised that the Idaho competition even got that difficult. For the past few years the Disease Detectives test has been fairly easy at state (or if you were there in 2016 it had literally nothing to do with the event)

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

JoJoKeKe wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:So at my state tournament, (Idaho,) my partner and I got a question that neither one of us knew. The first part asked what the sensitivity was, and the second part I can't remember. So my question is, what other term could it have been asking for? I think it started with an 's' as well, but I'm not sure. Looking through my textbook glossary, I think it could have been severity, but I'm not sure. If anyone could help me out here, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
It's been a while since I've done Disease Detectives but I think I can help you.

Sensitivity is basically the chance of having a specific disease given that you have a disease. It can be calculated as:

Sensitivity = Number of disease positives testing positive / Number of people with a disease who test positive for a particular disease + number of people with a disease who test negative.

Conversely, another term closely related is specificity (is this the word that you couldn't remember?) This is basically the reciprocal idea, but I think it is more of an emphasis on not having a disease and also testing negative.

Specificity = number of people who test negative and don't have a disease / number of people who test negative and don't have a disease + number of people who don't have a disease but test positive

Gosh-- I'm surprised that the Idaho competition even got that difficult. For the past few years the Disease Detectives test has been fairly easy at state (or if you were there in 2016 it had literally nothing to do with the event)

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.
Thank you! This helps a lot. I was there last year- I got silver. Yeah, it really didn't have anything to do with the event.
States/Nats
Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Anyone know of a place where I could find some Division B practice tests? The test exchange has none. :(
States/Nats
efeng
State: MN

Post by efeng »

Your best bet is trying to contact your high school's Division C, and ask if they have a test exchange. I don't think there is a lot of that for Division B, it is super common in Div C (to my knowledge. Other than that, you could buy past nationals tests. However, that's about it.
Mounds View HS, Minnesota

2017 Nationals Disease Detectives 1st (Div B)
2018 Nationals WiFi Lab 3rd (Div C)
2019 Nationals :(

Efeng's Userpage
Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

efeng wrote:Your best bet is trying to contact your high school's Division C, and ask if they have a test exchange. I don't think there is a lot of that for Division B, it is super common in Div C (to my knowledge. Other than that, you could buy past nationals tests. However, that's about it.
How do you buy past nationals tests?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
efeng wrote:Your best bet is trying to contact your high school's Division C, and ask if they have a test exchange. I don't think there is a lot of that for Division B, it is super common in Div C (to my knowledge. Other than that, you could buy past nationals tests. However, that's about it.
How do you buy past nationals tests?
They're available for purchase on the soinc.org store under "Test Packets"
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
Taro
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Taro »

Nerd_Bunny wrote:Anyone know of a place where I could find some Division B practice tests? The test exchange has none. :(
The text exchange is still in the process of being finished, which is why you can't find any Division B practice tests right now. You can access the "old" test exchange by going to the Wiki and pressing "Tests" next to the event names (or through this link: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2017_ ... Detectives).
arcadia '22 :,)
Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Taro wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:Anyone know of a place where I could find some Division B practice tests? The test exchange has none. :(
The text exchange is still in the process of being finished, which is why you can't find any Division B practice tests right now. You can access the "old" test exchange by going to the Wiki and pressing "Tests" next to the event names (or through this link: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2017_ ... Detectives).
Thanks!
States/Nats
efeng
State: MN

Post by efeng »

Nerd_Bunny wrote:
Taro wrote:
Thanks!
However, past tests are probably based on Ecological Causes and Population Growth, rather than Foodborne Illnesses, which is this year and next year's topic.
Mounds View HS, Minnesota

2017 Nationals Disease Detectives 1st (Div B)
2018 Nationals WiFi Lab 3rd (Div C)
2019 Nationals :(

Efeng's Userpage

Return to “2017 Study Events”