Disease Detectives B/C

mc408
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by mc408 »

Skink wrote:I find the CDC online book inadequate, but, more to the point, the print book I own is inadequate, too. This event really hits two different topics: epidemiology and <i>biostatistics</i>. You really need something for both. Well, then there's the topical stuff, which may be a third arm...I don't think you'll find everything under one roof anywhere.
What else do you recommend for practice material?
Mentor High School
Abekitt
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by Abekitt »

mc408 wrote:
Skink wrote:I find the CDC online book inadequate, but, more to the point, the print book I own is inadequate, too. This event really hits two different topics: epidemiology and <i>biostatistics</i>. You really need something for both. Well, then there's the topical stuff, which may be a third arm...I don't think you'll find everything under one roof anywhere.
What else do you recommend for practice material?
I would say find a test that base off analysis and practice on that for sure. Seeing how to repond to multiple situations and even what kind of statistics method you would use could be very beneficial for you. Also, do some research on the food borne illness chart thats on the soinc.org disease section (at least thats where I think it is, and see what kind of organism it is and know overall information on it.
Disease Detectives
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Game On
Hydrogeology
Robot Arm
Nerd_Bunny
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Does anyone know of a good link to practicing calculation of risk, odds ratio, and other math we'll need to know? A worksheet would be fine too.
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Should I expect to see much in the way of disease knowledge questions on the nationals test? I keep encountering them and doing badly, but I don't want to spend time on that if it probably won't show up.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Unome wrote:Should I expect to see much in the way of disease knowledge questions on the nationals test? I keep encountering them and doing badly, but I don't want to spend time on that if it probably won't show up.
At my state tournament, we didn't have any disease questions. But I think they will probably have them at nationals. I found a list of diseases at sonic.org made by the CDC and am currently studying those for nationals. Studying just those is probably good enough, I think they're the most common food borne illnesses.
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Unome wrote:Should I expect to see much in the way of disease knowledge questions on the nationals test? I keep encountering them and doing badly, but I don't want to spend time on that if it probably won't show up.
IIRC the nats test last year didn't have many disease questions. Rather, it was a few long case scenarios. Some of those case scenarios asked about a specific disease, but by far most of the points came from other stuff.

That being said, I only saw about a third of the test, because my partner and I split it up.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

Are volunteer bias and self-selection bias two different things? They seem like the same thing to me but I'm not 100% sure.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

I encountered one on a practice test, and was totally clueless, but luckily I had none at state. Nationals will most likely include them, I would suggest using Nerd_Bunny's suggestion, or I found this link: https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/Food ... 187482.pdf
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

I seem to be messing up a lot on problems asking for possible remediation methods. Does anyone know how I would go about preparing for those?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

Unome wrote:I seem to be messing up a lot on problems asking for possible remediation methods. Does anyone know how I would go about preparing for those?
I might be remembering wrong but I think in Chapter 6 of Principles of Epi they cover remediation. Although I have seen answers on tests that are slightly different than what's in the textbook, either it's too much common sense or too much obscure prevention measures.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

Return to “2017 Study Events”