kkenmots02
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by kkenmots02 »

Unome wrote:
kkenmots02 wrote:Does anyone know how the change in subject to Food-borne Illnesses will change what we have to study as opposed to last year? Thanks.
Based on my experience of a single test (which we failed badly) it'll probably involve a shift in the diseases and case studies we'll see, without much change in concepts.
Okay, thanks.
echithan11

Post by echithan11 »

Is Cholera considered a foodborne illness? (It is spread through contaminated water. However, several other diseases are also spread through water.)
dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by dcrxcode »

echithan11 wrote:Is Cholera considered a foodborne illness? (It is spread through contaminated water. However, several other diseases are also spread through water.)
I think it could fit in the event focus. The intepretation of foodborne illness is up to each event supervisor.
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

echithan11 wrote:Is Cholera considered a foodborne illness? (It is spread through contaminated water. However, several other diseases are also spread through water.)
I wouldn't, myself. i use cholera and other waterborne fecal-oral diseases for population growth.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

So I read today that Odds Ratio should be used for Case-Control studies because Relative Risk can't be measured. Can someone explain to me why this is the case?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Private Wang Fire
State: OH

Post by Private Wang Fire »

Unome wrote:So I read today that Odds Ratio should be used for Case-Control studies because Relative Risk can't be measured. Can someone explain to me why this is the case?
In a case control study the total number of people exposed to the exposure being investigated isn't known, so you can't calculate the true risk or relative risk, which is why we use odds ratio instead!

I love asking people in disease at my school this question :D
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
cookie75
Division: B

Post by cookie75 »

Unome wrote:New to this event; just took the tryouts test and did badly. What should I be doing to prepare? Most of the questions I have no idea how to even start.
Well, what do you have trouble with? Are you not understanding the concepts or are you just having general trouble. It's best to start with basic disease studies and then focus more on this years task, foodborne illnesses.
parvatipatel

Post by parvatipatel »

What diseases should I be studying? Are these (http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/Foodb ... 187482.pdf) the only ones we need to know for this event?

Also I am still kind of confused on exactly what we have to do in this event (my first year competing)?
Events: dynamic planet, anatomy and physiology, disease detectives, towers
megan_scioly
Division: C
State: CA

Post by megan_scioly »

is there a place we can get tests that regard the current subject?
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

megan_scioly wrote:is there a place we can get tests that regard the current subject?
Tests from 2011 and 2012 on the Test Exchange are from the last time the topic was foodborne illness
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

Return to “2017 Study Events”