Disease Detectives B/C

IvySpear
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:38 am
Division: C
State: NC
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby IvySpear » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:56 pm

What are the chances that the test will test stuff on historical cases, and if it does, usually how in depth are the questions?
Self-actualization is an irony, for when you achieve it, you realize you have not achieved it.

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Alex-RCHS » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:58 pm

IvySpear wrote:What are the chances that the test will test stuff on historical cases, and if it does, usually how in depth are the questions?


Many tests will ask you about John Snow, the founder of field epidemiology; and Hippocrates, the founder of medicine. I haven't been asked about much else.

For Snow you need to know that he worked on a Cholera outbreak in London. The year was 1854, but that's probably not important. He used a spot map to trace the source of the outbreak to a water pump handle. He solved the outbreak by removing the handle.

Hippocrates searched for a logical explanation for disease. He made a lot of contributions to modern medicine. That's about all you really need.
Raleigh Charter High School, 2018
2018 Results
State/National
Team: 2 / 38
Microbe Mission: 1 / 14
Astronomy: 2 / -
Remote Sensing: 2 / 8
Mousetrap Vehicle: 7 / 19 :(
Thermodynamics: 9 (scoring error, should've been 4th :cry:) / 20

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 940
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Skink » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:09 pm

IvySpear wrote:What are the chances that the test will test stuff on historical cases, and if it does, usually how in depth are the questions?

They really shouldn't, as history isn't technically a testable topic; review section 3 in the rules. The thing is, though, that a lot of supervisors (in both divisions) don't really understand what the field is about and, so, sometimes write questions that are well outside the scope of what this event is trying to get at. My team took an invitational test last season that had a huge history section, and one of the scientists they asked about doesn't exist :mrgreen: ...

I do recommend getting a very loose handle on some history, though, stuff like this if you have time. It protects you from history questions, gives you a better handle on how the epi you're supposed to know developed, and is, at times, interesting just by itself.

IvySpear
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:38 am
Division: C
State: NC
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby IvySpear » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Oh thanks! I was also wondering, how often will I have to deal with stuff like confounders and biases? I know the rules said they will be included, but what proportion of the test do they usually make up (And I mean state-level or nationals-level tests)?
Self-actualization is an irony, for when you achieve it, you realize you have not achieved it.

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 940
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Skink » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:28 pm

Proportion? Single digits percentage, probs...I find this part tricky because I don't think the topics laid out in the Training Handout are detailed enough, so my team goes one step deeper. That's worked out well at the State level.

mc408
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:45 am
Division: C
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby mc408 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Those of you who have read the CDC textbook "Principles of Epidemiology" or any other textbook of similar depth, how comprehensively does it cover the breadth of information enumerated by the rules for the event? Is it necessary to go on Wikipedia to study any concepts in more depth or does the book provide a solid enough base of knowledge to the point at which simply doing a few practice tests thereafter will be sufficient preparation for states/nats?
Mentor High School

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Alex-RCHS » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:52 pm

mc408 wrote:Those of you who have read the CDC textbook "Principles of Epidemiology" or any other textbook of similar depth, how comprehensively does it cover the breadth of information enumerated by the rules for the event? Is it necessary to go on Wikipedia to study any concepts in more depth or does the book provide a solid enough base of knowledge to the point at which simply doing a few practice tests thereafter will be sufficient preparation for states/nats?


I've read all of the most applicable parts and skimmed the rest. It's good supplementation, but it's not enough to use as your sole studying source. At the very least you should read it, then do some practice tests, then do some general studying on stuff in the practice tests that you didn't know.
Raleigh Charter High School, 2018
2018 Results
State/National
Team: 2 / 38
Microbe Mission: 1 / 14
Astronomy: 2 / -
Remote Sensing: 2 / 8
Mousetrap Vehicle: 7 / 19 :(
Thermodynamics: 9 (scoring error, should've been 4th :cry:) / 20

mc408
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:45 am
Division: C
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby mc408 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:31 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:
mc408 wrote:Those of you who have read the CDC textbook "Principles of Epidemiology" or any other textbook of similar depth, how comprehensively does it cover the breadth of information enumerated by the rules for the event? Is it necessary to go on Wikipedia to study any concepts in more depth or does the book provide a solid enough base of knowledge to the point at which simply doing a few practice tests thereafter will be sufficient preparation for states/nats?


I've read all of the most applicable parts and skimmed the rest. It's good supplementation, but it's not enough to use as your sole studying source. At the very least you should read it, then do some practice tests, then do some general studying on stuff in the practice tests that you didn't know.


Ah okay thank you. How long did it take you to read it?
Mentor High School

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Alex-RCHS » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:59 pm

mc408 wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
mc408 wrote:Those of you who have read the CDC textbook "Principles of Epidemiology" or any other textbook of similar depth, how comprehensively does it cover the breadth of information enumerated by the rules for the event? Is it necessary to go on Wikipedia to study any concepts in more depth or does the book provide a solid enough base of knowledge to the point at which simply doing a few practice tests thereafter will be sufficient preparation for states/nats?


I've read all of the most applicable parts and skimmed the rest. It's good supplementation, but it's not enough to use as your sole studying source. At the very least you should read it, then do some practice tests, then do some general studying on stuff in the practice tests that you didn't know.


Ah okay thank you. How long did it take you to read it?


I read it off and on and took notes. It took me about 2 months of reading for about 1-2 hours per week.
Raleigh Charter High School, 2018
2018 Results
State/National
Team: 2 / 38
Microbe Mission: 1 / 14
Astronomy: 2 / -
Remote Sensing: 2 / 8
Mousetrap Vehicle: 7 / 19 :(
Thermodynamics: 9 (scoring error, should've been 4th :cry:) / 20

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 940
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Skink » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:03 am

I find the CDC online book inadequate, but, more to the point, the print book I own is inadequate, too. This event really hits two different topics: epidemiology and biostatistics. You really need something for both. Well, then there's the topical stuff, which may be a third arm...I don't think you'll find everything under one roof anywhere.
Last edited by Skink on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beyaffe
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:13 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: For all you know I may be dead...
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Beyaffe » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Is there anyone willing to post a regional Disease Detectives B test? Do you think that the students will have to solve case studies or answer actual test questions for N.Y state?
They can't kill your dreams, so they assassinate your character...

User avatar
NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:27 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby NeilMehta » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:05 pm

Beyaffe wrote:Is there anyone willing to post a regional Disease Detectives B test? Do you think that the students will have to solve case studies or answer actual test questions for N.Y state?

There are plenty of tests in the test exchange (https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2017_Test_Exchange#Anatomy_.26_Physiology). If you haven't yet, be sure to check it out!
my events tend to deal with really big or small things ..
so now i do fermi : ^)

Voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 940
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Skink » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:31 am

Beyaffe wrote:Is there anyone willing to post a regional Disease Detectives B test? Do you think that the students will have to solve case studies or answer actual test questions for N.Y state?

The way this event is intended to be written is that participants will be given a scenario (based on real data or otherwise) to analyze. The best tests will have only one scenario that teams really sink their teeth into. This is why it's in the very first block; it's understood that it takes longer to grade Disease Det tests on average than most other events!

Private Wang Fire
Member
Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:43 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Private Wang Fire » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Skink wrote:The way this event is intended to be written is that participants will be given a scenario (based on real data or otherwise) to analyze. The best tests will have only one scenario that teams really sink their teeth into. This is why it's in the very first block; it's understood that it takes longer to grade Disease Det tests on average than most other events!


Alternatively they could hit you up with 3+ scenarios, each full of a complete series of questions following the outbreak investigation from beginning to end, and laugh as you struggle to finish.
MASON HIGH SCHOOL

User avatar
dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:53 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby dcrxcode » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Private Wang Fire wrote:
Skink wrote:The way this event is intended to be written is that participants will be given a scenario (based on real data or otherwise) to analyze. The best tests will have only one scenario that teams really sink their teeth into. This is why it's in the very first block; it's understood that it takes longer to grade Disease Det tests on average than most other events!


Alternatively they could hit you up with 3+ scenarios, each full of a complete series of questions following the outbreak investigation from beginning to end, and laugh as you struggle to finish.


Sounds like every nationals disease detectives test ever.


Return to “2017 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest