Disease Detectives B/C

mc408
Division: C
State: OH

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby mc408 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Skink wrote:I find the CDC online book inadequate, but, more to the point, the print book I own is inadequate, too. This event really hits two different topics: epidemiology and <i>biostatistics</i>. You really need something for both. Well, then there's the topical stuff, which may be a third arm...I don't think you'll find everything under one roof anywhere.

What else do you recommend for practice material?
Mentor High School

Abekitt
State: IL

Postby Abekitt » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:01 pm

mc408 wrote:
Skink wrote:I find the CDC online book inadequate, but, more to the point, the print book I own is inadequate, too. This event really hits two different topics: epidemiology and <i>biostatistics</i>. You really need something for both. Well, then there's the topical stuff, which may be a third arm...I don't think you'll find everything under one roof anywhere.

What else do you recommend for practice material?

I would say find a test that base off analysis and practice on that for sure. Seeing how to repond to multiple situations and even what kind of statistics method you would use could be very beneficial for you. Also, do some research on the food borne illness chart thats on the soinc.org disease section (at least thats where I think it is, and see what kind of organism it is and know overall information on it.
Disease Detectives
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Game On
Hydrogeology
Robot Arm

Nerd_Bunny
State: ID

Postby Nerd_Bunny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Does anyone know of a good link to practicing calculation of risk, odds ratio, and other math we'll need to know? A worksheet would be fine too.
Events: Chemistry Lab, A&P, Disease Detectives
2017 Placings
States/Nationals
RFTS: 1/37
DD: 1/16
A&P:1/31
Ecology: -/59 haha I bet you can guess what happened here...

2018 Placings
NEBO/States/Nationals
A&P: 1/1/
Chem Lab: 5/1/
DD: 1/1/

If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:37 pm

Should I expect to see much in the way of disease knowledge questions on the nationals test? I keep encountering them and doing badly, but I don't want to spend time on that if it probably won't show up.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Nerd_Bunny

Postby Nerd_Bunny » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Unome wrote:Should I expect to see much in the way of disease knowledge questions on the nationals test? I keep encountering them and doing badly, but I don't want to spend time on that if it probably won't show up.

At my state tournament, we didn't have any disease questions. But I think they will probably have them at nationals. I found a list of diseases at sonic.org made by the CDC and am currently studying those for nationals. Studying just those is probably good enough, I think they're the most common food borne illnesses.
2017 Placings
States/Nationals

2018 Placings
NEBO/States/Nationals

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Postby Alex-RCHS » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:26 am

Unome wrote:Should I expect to see much in the way of disease knowledge questions on the nationals test? I keep encountering them and doing badly, but I don't want to spend time on that if it probably won't show up.

IIRC the nats test last year didn't have many disease questions. Rather, it was a few long case scenarios. Some of those case scenarios asked about a specific disease, but by far most of the points came from other stuff.

That being said, I only saw about a third of the test, because my partner and I split it up.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

maxxxxx
State: PA

Postby maxxxxx » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:04 pm

Are volunteer bias and self-selection bias two different things? They seem like the same thing to me but I'm not 100% sure.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B

Postby Tailsfan101 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:25 pm

I encountered one on a practice test, and was totally clueless, but luckily I had none at state. Nationals will most likely include them, I would suggest using Nerd_Bunny's suggestion, or I found this link: https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/Food ... 187482.pdf
2018 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki (Division B)
State/Nats
Crime: 1/35
Road: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

State/Nats
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

Hopeful 2019 events: Road Scholar, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Heredity
Assassinator for game #118

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » Tue May 09, 2017 6:59 pm

I seem to be messing up a lot on problems asking for possible remediation methods. Does anyone know how I would go about preparing for those?
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

maxxxxx
State: PA

Postby maxxxxx » Tue May 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Unome wrote:I seem to be messing up a lot on problems asking for possible remediation methods. Does anyone know how I would go about preparing for those?

I might be remembering wrong but I think in Chapter 6 of Principles of Epi they cover remediation. Although I have seen answers on tests that are slightly different than what's in the textbook, either it's too much common sense or too much obscure prevention measures.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

Nerd_Bunny

Postby Nerd_Bunny » Wed May 10, 2017 1:12 am

So at my state tournament, (Idaho,) my partner and I got a question that neither one of us knew. The first part asked what the sensitivity was, and the second part I can't remember. So my question is, what other term could it have been asking for? I think it started with an 's' as well, but I'm not sure. Looking through my textbook glossary, I think it could have been severity, but I'm not sure. If anyone could help me out here, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
2017 Placings
States/Nationals

2018 Placings
NEBO/States/Nationals

JoJoKeKe

Postby JoJoKeKe » Wed May 10, 2017 1:36 am

Nerd_Bunny wrote:So at my state tournament, (Idaho,) my partner and I got a question that neither one of us knew. The first part asked what the sensitivity was, and the second part I can't remember. So my question is, what other term could it have been asking for? I think it started with an 's' as well, but I'm not sure. Looking through my textbook glossary, I think it could have been severity, but I'm not sure. If anyone could help me out here, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

It's been a while since I've done Disease Detectives but I think I can help you.

Sensitivity is basically the chance of having a specific disease given that you have a disease. It can be calculated as:

Sensitivity = Number of disease positives testing positive / Number of people with a disease who test positive for a particular disease + number of people with a disease who test negative.

Conversely, another term closely related is specificity (is this the word that you couldn't remember?) This is basically the reciprocal idea, but I think it is more of an emphasis on not having a disease and also testing negative.

Specificity = number of people who test negative and don't have a disease / number of people who test negative and don't have a disease + number of people who don't have a disease but test positive

Gosh-- I'm surprised that the Idaho competition even got that difficult. For the past few years the Disease Detectives test has been fairly easy at state (or if you were there in 2016 it had literally nothing to do with the event)

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasive Species: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks & Minerals: 2
Microbe Mission: 2
Ecology: 3
Optics: 4 (When you only hit one mirror...)
Invasive Species: 1

Nerd_Bunny

Postby Nerd_Bunny » Wed May 10, 2017 4:59 am

JoJoKeKe wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:So at my state tournament, (Idaho,) my partner and I got a question that neither one of us knew. The first part asked what the sensitivity was, and the second part I can't remember. So my question is, what other term could it have been asking for? I think it started with an 's' as well, but I'm not sure. Looking through my textbook glossary, I think it could have been severity, but I'm not sure. If anyone could help me out here, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

It's been a while since I've done Disease Detectives but I think I can help you.

Sensitivity is basically the chance of having a specific disease given that you have a disease. It can be calculated as:

Sensitivity = Number of disease positives testing positive / Number of people with a disease who test positive for a particular disease + number of people with a disease who test negative.

Conversely, another term closely related is specificity (is this the word that you couldn't remember?) This is basically the reciprocal idea, but I think it is more of an emphasis on not having a disease and also testing negative.

Specificity = number of people who test negative and don't have a disease / number of people who test negative and don't have a disease + number of people who don't have a disease but test positive

Gosh-- I'm surprised that the Idaho competition even got that difficult. For the past few years the Disease Detectives test has been fairly easy at state (or if you were there in 2016 it had literally nothing to do with the event)

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Thank you! This helps a lot. I was there last year- I got silver. Yeah, it really didn't have anything to do with the event.
2017 Placings
States/Nationals

2018 Placings
NEBO/States/Nationals

Nerd_Bunny

Postby Nerd_Bunny » Tue May 16, 2017 2:05 am

Anyone know of a place where I could find some Division B practice tests? The test exchange has none. :(
2017 Placings
States/Nationals

2018 Placings
NEBO/States/Nationals

efeng
State: MN

Postby efeng » Tue May 16, 2017 3:00 am

Your best bet is trying to contact your high school's Division C, and ask if they have a test exchange. I don't think there is a lot of that for Division B, it is super common in Div C (to my knowledge. Other than that, you could buy past nationals tests. However, that's about it.
Mounds View HS, Minnesota

2017 Nationals Disease Detectives 1st (Div B)
2018 Nationals WiFi Lab 3rd, Overall Team 5th (Div C)

Efeng's Userpage

Return to “2017 Study Events”