Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ecology B/C

Post by dcrxcode »

gneissisnice wrote:
dcrxcode wrote:
Entomology wrote:Does anyone have a good idea of how hard the div c computation aspect will be? Ex. Which formulas should we know? Regionals next week will be the first div c competition I have ever gone to and needless to say, Im terrified.
Definitely Rule of 70/72, Exponential/Logistic Growth formulas, probably Shannon-Wiener Diversity Index.
I'm a bit late with this, I'm sure, but I think Shannon-Wiener is Nationals-only, according to the rules.
Yeah, but you'll still see it on the occasional harder invite or state test in my experience.
fizzle
Division: C
State: MA

Post by fizzle »

How in-depth should a normal Ecology test be on the biomes? I ask this because I've now done two tests, one at Regionals and one at States, where the test had very few questions about the specific biomes and those questions were very basic. My partner and I put a lot of information pertaining to the biomes on our reference sheet and we used next to none of it.
VP Winchester HS 2018-19
Perpetually 6th in MA

Going to Harvard and Brown this year! :)

Events:

Thermo
Circuit Lab
Codebusters
Geologic Mapping
gavinnupp
State: OH

Post by gavinnupp »

fizzle wrote:How in-depth should a normal Ecology test be on the biomes? I ask this because I've now done two tests, one at Regionals and one at States, where the test had very few questions about the specific biomes and those questions were very basic. My partner and I put a lot of information pertaining to the biomes on our reference sheet and we used next to none of it.
I have had a similar experience.
Certified Enviro-nerd
Ecology, Invasive Species, R&M (R/S '17)
3/2
1/~
2/~
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

fizzle wrote:How in-depth should a normal Ecology test be on the biomes? I ask this because I've now done two tests, one at Regionals and one at States, where the test had very few questions about the specific biomes and those questions were very basic. My partner and I put a lot of information pertaining to the biomes on our reference sheet and we used next to none of it.
A third of the test should come from section two, theoretically. How in-depth is anyone's guess (as is typical for events this broad). Recall of obscure facts (like how "taiga" is Russian...total trivia) is not the makes of a good test, though.
SenseiSushi
State: PA

Post by SenseiSushi »

Skink wrote:
A third of the test should come from section two, theoretically. How in-depth is anyone's guess (as is typical for events this broad). Recall of obscure facts (like how "taiga" is Russian...total trivia) is not the makes of a good test, though.
Although, like Skink said, the rules state 1/3 of the test should draw from biomes, oftentimes this section is skimmed over. Usually, the biomes section just consists of identifying a biome by using a climate graph or listing the adaptations of organisms in the biome.
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
Alcee
State: CA

Post by Alcee »

I know this isn't green gen, but has anyone encountered legislation on tests? What are the most important protocols or laws that we should know, and what should we know about them (year enacted, what they sought to change/enforce, effects, etc.)?
gavinnupp
State: OH

Post by gavinnupp »

Alcee wrote:I know this isn't green gen, but has anyone encountered legislation on tests? What are the most important protocols or laws that we should know, and what should we know about them (year enacted, what they sought to change/enforce, effects, etc.)?
It's a good idea to know the legislation from the green gen event archive in a general sense.
Certified Enviro-nerd
Ecology, Invasive Species, R&M (R/S '17)
3/2
1/~
2/~
SenseiSushi

Post by SenseiSushi »

gavinnupp wrote:
Alcee wrote:I know this isn't green gen, but has anyone encountered legislation on tests? What are the most important protocols or laws that we should know, and what should we know about them (year enacted, what they sought to change/enforce, effects, etc.)?
It's a good idea to know the legislation from the green gen event archive in a general sense.
Legislation doesn't come up too often, but it's good to know the basics. I'd study the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, CERCLA, Kyoto Protocol, Montreal Protocol, and Paris Agreement. A list of US environmental laws is available here.
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
maxxxxx
Division: Grad

Post by maxxxxx »

I know we don't need to know this for the competition, but does anyone know where I can find an explanation of how the Shannon-Wiener diversity index was made(i.e. how they came up with the formula)?
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
Nerd_Bunny
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

So one of my team members dropped out, and I've just been given the job of doing the test at the tournament. What is the bare minimum that I need to know?
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

Return to “2017 Study Events”