John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Post by John Richardsim »

Skink wrote: Oh, that's easy. Get any MP3 player (handheld device, PC, or whatever) and a pair of headphones, maybe two with a splitter. I think teams really enjoy AV stations because they're changes of pace; I ran one at State last season for a different event, and the results were fantastic. I have, in the past, done the "demo" station John noted with sets of speakers, but I'm less fond of that set-up. You're at the mercy of the acoustics of the room.
Hmmm, I think I would be too afraid to use headphones due to the risk of lice n' stuff.

...Afraid to use headphones from an ES perspective, that is. As a competitor, I would just shut up and put on the headphones and win.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

How/Where can I learn about formulating control plans given a set of conditions? I was thinking the best way would be to read a ton of case studies, but I don't know where/how I would find those either
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
John Richardsim
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Aha! I didn't miss NISAW this year!

http://www.nisaw.org/
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Are you guys taking the time to learn the anatomy/physiology of fungi? There is a large amount of unfamiliar terminology involving fungi that I never have seen tested. Most tests only touch on the transmission vectors and basic environmental/economic effects rather than in-depth understanding of the anatomy and life cycle from what I have seen (not to mention fungi stations are rare in general)
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

windu34 wrote:Are you guys taking the time to learn the anatomy/physiology of fungi? There is a large amount of unfamiliar terminology involving fungi that I never have seen tested. Most tests only touch on the transmission vectors and basic environmental/economic effects rather than in-depth understanding of the anatomy and life cycle from what I have seen (not to mention fungi stations are rare in general)
Did you mean to post this in Microbe? Reading your sig, it looks like you didn't...let me flip the question around. Have you taken the time to learn the life cycles of the insects in detail? All the grasses and trees? I'd let that guide you. Since this is an ecology event, we're interested in life cycles (primarily...) insofar as they impact other organisms. As an easy example, doesn't the pink bollworm get its name because the larval stage is the one that tears apart the bolls? I don't know if the fungi have examples like that because I didn't make those pages (and otherwise lay no claim to being a mycomaster), but, at your level, I wouldn't let terms like conidia/mycelia/hyphae/etc. sting you if they're relevant to the couple organisms on the list. We shy away from fungi because they're so different, but that's what makes them interesting.
karissagarcia
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by karissagarcia »

So I know a lot of teams use sheet protectors for their binders, but does anyone have any other suggestions for making the pages turn easier
?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

karissagarcia wrote:So I know a lot of teams use sheet protectors for their binders, but does anyone have any other suggestions for making the pages turn easier
?
Tabs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

windu34 wrote:
karissagarcia wrote:So I know a lot of teams use sheet protectors for their binders, but does anyone have any other suggestions for making the pages turn easier
?
Tabs
Also, using less pages really helps. Even with Invasives having a lot of info for each specimen (compared to Fossils), you shouldn't need more than one page for the vast majority of them. Your entire binder really doesn't need to be more than around 70 pages front and back in sheet protectors.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
gavinnupp
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Post by gavinnupp »

what do you all think about questions asking the number of eggs/seeds an organism produces? seems ambiguous..
Unome wrote:
windu34 wrote:
?
Tabs
Also, using less pages really helps. Even with Invasives having a lot of info for each specimen (compared to Fossils), you shouldn't need more than one page for the vast majority of them. Your entire binder really doesn't need to be more than around 70 pages front and back in sheet protectors.
agreed. Mine is 33 front and back, including lots of free space for notes. depending on the test, and the efficacy of your partner, speed/quick reference is the name of the game.
Certified Enviro-nerd
Ecology, Invasive Species, R&M (R/S '17)
3/2
1/~
2/~
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

gavinnupp wrote:what do you all think about questions asking the number of eggs/seeds an organism produces? seems ambiguous..
It's not too ambiguous, as the best references offer a rough number or range, anyway. Provided you fall within the range, you should earn credit. Now...it's not a good question, anyway, because all it requires is copying from the binder, but you should be prepared for it, definitely.

Return to “2017 Study Events”