Invasive Species B/C

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Post by windu34 »

Does anyone have any resources or suggestions to help with questions such as: "Devise a control plan to manage _________ ". I cant find any resources online (including research papers) that could help me formulate a management plan with a timeline (when different controls would be used)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
alleycat03
Division: C
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by alleycat03 »

Does anyone know what to expect from this event at nationals? I read a few pages back that there might be stations? I'm assuming since it is nationals that the questions will be pretty difficult, but is there something specific that we should definitely be studying?
Olathe North Science Olympiad
Class of 2018
Forensics, Herpetology, Ecology, and Mousetrap Vehicle
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

windu34 wrote:Does anyone have any resources or suggestions to help with questions such as: "Devise a control plan to manage _________ ". I cant find any resources online (including research papers) that could help me formulate a management plan with a timeline (when different controls would be used)
My opinion only: questions of this type are asking for which control measures (from among, often times, many, because the academic/professional pieces cite specific chemical or biological agents in far more detail than you'd otherwise ever need) you'd select and why. It's asking you to generate and defend an argument on the subject at hand; it's only wrong if the control measure(s) doesn't apply or you don't (adequately) support your decision. It would seem to me that applying a specific timeline is an unrealistic expectation. Have you seen questions like this that asked for a very specific plan in the key?

I'd comment on last season's National test, but my CD is locked in my drawer at school. If nobody else says anything, I'll try to pop it in tomorrow and take a look.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Skink wrote:
windu34 wrote:Does anyone have any resources or suggestions to help with questions such as: "Devise a control plan to manage _________ ". I cant find any resources online (including research papers) that could help me formulate a management plan with a timeline (when different controls would be used)
My opinion only: questions of this type are asking for which control measures (from among, often times, many, because the academic/professional pieces cite specific chemical or biological agents in far more detail than you'd otherwise ever need) you'd select and why. It's asking you to generate and defend an argument on the subject at hand; it's only wrong if the control measure(s) doesn't apply or you don't (adequately) support your decision. It would seem to me that applying a specific timeline is an unrealistic expectation. Have you seen questions like this that asked for a very specific plan in the key?

I'd comment on last season's National test, but my CD is locked in my drawer at school. If nobody else says anything, I'll try to pop it in tomorrow and take a look.
This question was from last years nationals. There was no answer key for this station so I'm assuming the supervisor had his own method to grade it or didn't want to release the rubric to the competitors following the tournament
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »