Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Post by windu34 »

gavinnupp wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Raven wrote: I've just searched in depth here: https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/laws/main.shtml

Also, finding other sources to cover larger topics such as the Lacey Act, and the 100th Meridian Initiative.
Ive searched through that site extensively as well, but I cant find any actual names of laws/legislation for specific species. Maybe there is no legislation for them. The site talks about measures taken such as quarantine, but states no names of legislation
That's because it's not legislation - it's regulation put in place by the executive branch, typically the USDA or USFWS and their branches
So then it only applies to general questiins like "What are measueres being taken to prevent the spread?" which is likely just quarantine (depending on specie)?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
smurphy00
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by smurphy00 »

windu34 wrote:
gavinnupp wrote:
windu34 wrote: Ive searched through that site extensively as well, but I cant find any actual names of laws/legislation for specific species. Maybe there is no legislation for them. The site talks about measures taken such as quarantine, but states no names of legislation
That's because it's not legislation - it's regulation put in place by the executive branch, typically the USDA or USFWS and their branches
So then it only applies to general questiins like "What are measueres being taken to prevent the spread?" which is likely just quarantine (depending on specie)?
Not necessarily - I have seen specific questions on acts (which can be found at https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/law ... laws.shtml). I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for, but these acts are law (or formerly so). They do have names and some of them are for specific species.
Herpetology / Ecology / Towers / Forensics / Microbe Mission
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

smurphy00 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
gavinnupp wrote:
Not necessarily - I have seen specific questions on acts (which can be found at https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/law ... laws.shtml). I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for, but these acts are law (or formerly so). They do have names and some of them are for specific species.
Gotcha thanks for the help
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
ellesbelles

Post by ellesbelles »

I'm having trouble identifying common reed and giant reed since they look very alike. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help distinguish more close up pictures?
Raven

Post by Raven »

ellesbelles wrote:I'm having trouble identifying common reed and giant reed since they look very alike. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help distinguish more close up pictures?
I find the main difference being in the stalks. Giant reed has very distinguished leaf grow pattern things (idk how to describe it, lol), and has blobby seeds/flowers. Common reed, on the other hand, usually grows in water, and has more fanlike seeds/flowers.
Birds, Fossils, WQ, Circuit Lab
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

Raven wrote:
ellesbelles wrote:I'm having trouble identifying common reed and giant reed since they look very alike. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help distinguish more close up pictures?
I find the main difference being in the stalks. Giant reed has very distinguished leaf grow pattern things (idk how to describe it, lol), and has blobby seeds/flowers. Common reed, on the other hand, usually grows in water, and has more fanlike seeds/flowers.
viewtopic.php?f=227&t=9295&start=30#p302678
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

It happened last night. My first dream with invasives. Was trying to walk past a pond but there was a mute swan and it had cygnets so it was really aggressive. Thankfully since it was a dream simply fighting it as I went around was a perfectly fine option.
Piggy
State: NY

Post by Piggy »

QuantumTech wrote:Also how do you guys differentiate between Japanese Stiltgrass and Water Spinach. For the first practice exam under Invasive Species created by Piggy, Station 16 is identified as water spinach in the answer key but I identified it as japanese stiltgrass... Am I correct or is there something that distinguishes water spinach from japanese stiltgrass?
Jaol wrote:The shape of the leaf is wider at the base for Water Spinach, however, Stilt grasses leaves are more elongate it seems. If it makes you feel better, I would have prob gotten it wrong too. I mean... it is on the ground. Just now I realized that, Water Spinach can be grown on the ground. My guess is it prefers similar,wet environments like Stiltgrass however.
Sorry about that, I'm pretty sure it's water spinach though (although my source for the image is kind of shady). We've been growing water spinach in the ground for few years now because they're pretty easy to maintain by just watering them a lot and they grow very quickly. I just learned from doing this event that it's an invasive species.

Also, how do y'all usually divide the binder/species up? I use many-tab dividers but they take up an enormous amount of room in the binder and I can't use sheet protectors because then the species information extends beyond the tabs/dividers.
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

Piggy wrote: Also, how do y'all usually divide the binder/species up? I use many-tab dividers but they take up an enormous amount of room in the binder and I can't use sheet protectors because then the species information extends beyond the tabs/dividers.
I've used small post it notes, or have cut up post it notes to make little tabs sticking out of the binder, labeled with the species. We have it color coded so aquatic animals have blue post-its, plants have green post-its, etc.
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
jiggles

Post by jiggles »

Is there anywhere I can go to see how others are organizing the info on their binder pages? Or even better is there a share site?

Thank you in advance!

Return to “2017 Study Events”