Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Post by Skink »

windu34 wrote:
me-myself_i wrote:In the rules, i saw that there could include recordings of songs, does this refer to the sound that the animal makes?
yes
Isn't that an artifact from Amp Rep and Ornith? Which specimens, specifically, are of interest here?
Joycegu99
Division: Grad
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Joycegu99 »

ProudHufflepuff wrote:Here is a great source that most states should be able to use.http://www.misin.msu.edu/facts/index.ph ... on=&habit=[/url]
I'm sorry I can't make it a link, but I promise that typing it out will be worth it! Clemson University also has information on several insects. Can anyone tell me a trick for memorizing scientific names? :?: Also, identifying live plant specimens. :ugeek:
Scientific names will come if you just shove all of them into a quizlet and take chunks of them at a time (around 7-10).

For tricks, try to make them into phrases or words that are easier to remember. For example, I had a ton of trouble remembering Scotch thistle (Onopordum acanthium) but now my partner and I just look at each other and say "Oh no, poor them" For others I use derivatives from latin somewhat: Tree-of-heaven = Ailanthus altissima (altissima meaning highest) and St. Johnswort = hypericum perforatum (perforatum associated with holes like in the st johnswort leaves)

Identifying live plant specimen? :o but they're invasive! Have you seen that in tests??
Harriton High School

2016-17:
UGA/Forsyth Central/Brookwood/MIT/Regionals/State/Nationals
Team Spirit (Individual): 1/3/2/14/3//
Crave the Minerals: 11/-/1/13/-/-/
Wright it Do it: 3/1/-/2/2//
Invasive Rocks: -/-/4/11/5//
Remote Planet: 8/1/-/13/1//
Picture That: 12/2/18/16/4//
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

Joycegu99 wrote:Identifying live plant specimen? :o but they're invasive! Have you seen that in tests??
A lot of times on State lists they add species that are invasive to and around the area, and sometimes they're quite common.
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

Joycegu99 wrote:
Identifying live plant specimen? :o but they're invasive! Have you seen that in tests??
I don't know about live but there were a lot of preserved specimens on the Conestoga test last year.
Skink wrote:
windu34 wrote:
me-myself_i wrote:In the rules, i saw that there could include recordings of songs, does this refer to the sound that the animal makes?
yes
Isn't that an artifact from Amp Rep and Ornith? Which specimens, specifically, are of interest here?
I think that was included in the rules so if some states made their own lists with lots of bird, amphibian, or mammal species they could include sounds. There is a swan on the Michigan list, so assuming there are other birds they could use this rule there.
Last edited by maxxxxx on February 2nd, 2017, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
Jaol
State: GA

Post by Jaol »

Joycegu99 wrote:
ProudHufflepuff wrote:Here is a great source that most states should be able to use.http://www.misin.msu.edu/facts/index.ph ... on=&habit=[/url]
I'm sorry I can't make it a link, but I promise that typing it out will be worth it! Clemson University also has information on several insects. Can anyone tell me a trick for memorizing scientific names? :?: Also, identifying live plant specimens. :ugeek:
Scientific names will come if you just shove all of them into a quizlet and take chunks of them at a time (around 7-10).

For tricks, try to make them into phrases or words that are easier to remember. For example, I had a ton of trouble remembering Scotch thistle (Onopordum acanthium) but now my partner and I just look at each other and say "Oh no, poor them" For others I use derivatives from latin somewhat: Tree-of-heaven = Ailanthus altissima (altissima meaning highest) and St. Johnswort = hypericum perforatum (perforatum associated with holes like in the st johnswort leaves)

Usually if it's preserved they'll have to make them easier to recognize as you'll generally not be allowed to touch them.

For scientific names and stuff, Take a lined sheet of paper and divide it in half down the middle. On the left margin put two common names on each line. Write the scientific names until you get to the divide. Repeqt until you fill up the both sides of the page. Don't write on the header though.
RareKyurem
State: CA

Post by RareKyurem »

Hi guys! I'm having trouble identifying species because so many of them look alike. I'm making a document on which species look like. Which species do you guys most generally mix up?
2017 Events: Invasive Species, Microbe Mission, Helicopters
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

Last year at states I screwed up hydrilla and brazilian waterweed, realized 10 minutes before the event that my ID pics for the two species looked like the same, but if I had made better notes that wouldn't have happened.
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

RareKyurem wrote:Hi guys! I'm having trouble identifying species because so many of them look alike. I'm making a document on which species look like. Which species do you guys most generally mix up?
It's mostly similar-looking generic (yeah, I went there) grasses, maybe the beetles. I don't have my comparison documents on hand to see what else, but there were probably some larval stages of insects that got lumped together, at least for quick on-the-spot comparison.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Skink wrote:
RareKyurem wrote:Hi guys! I'm having trouble identifying species because so many of them look alike. I'm making a document on which species look like. Which species do you guys most generally mix up?
It's mostly similar-looking generic (yeah, I went there) grasses, maybe the beetles. I don't have my comparison documents on hand to see what else, but there were probably some larval stages of insects that got lumped together, at least for quick on-the-spot comparison.
This is going by the Nationals list:
- the two pine shoot beetles
- the two longhorned beetles
- the two mussels
- giant vs common reed
- the milfoils

On the Pennsylvania list:
- the honeysuckles.......
- the knotweeds

If you are making an ID guide, make it like a dichotomous key, have all the warm-colored flowers on one page, all the pointy leaves on another page, etc.
Birds, Fossils, WQ, Circuit Lab
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

Raven wrote:
Skink wrote:
This is going by the Nationals list:
- the two pine shoot beetles
- the two longhorned beetles
- the two mussels
- giant vs common reed
- the milfoils

On the Pennsylvania list:
- the honeysuckles.......
- the knotweeds

If you are making an ID guide, make it like a dichotomous key, have all the warm-colored flowers on one page, all the pointy leaves on another page, etc.
Also
-whitetop, hairy whitetop, giant hogweed
-some of the thistles look pretty similar

What two pine shoot beetles? As far as I know there is only the common pine shoot beetle (national list). Are you talking about the spruce bark beetle by any chance?
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison

Return to “2017 Study Events”