Invasive Species B/C

RareKyurem
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: January 21st, 2017, 4:25 pm
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby RareKyurem » February 2nd, 2017, 4:25 pm

Hi guys! I'm having trouble identifying species because so many of them look alike. I'm making a document on which species look like. Which species do you guys most generally mix up?
2017 Events: Invasive Species, Microbe Mission, Helicopters

User avatar
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 182
Joined: October 22nd, 2015, 8:01 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: WEHS

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby JasperKota » February 2nd, 2017, 4:39 pm

Last year at states I screwed up hydrilla and brazilian waterweed, realized 10 minutes before the event that my ID pics for the two species looked like the same, but if I had made better notes that wouldn't have happened.
2019 Events: Wright Stuff, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fossils
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Invasives, Wright Stuff, Ecology
2016 Events: Invasives, Dynamic Planet, Crave the Wave

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 947
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Skink » February 2nd, 2017, 7:34 pm

RareKyurem wrote:Hi guys! I'm having trouble identifying species because so many of them look alike. I'm making a document on which species look like. Which species do you guys most generally mix up?

It's mostly similar-looking generic (yeah, I went there) grasses, maybe the beetles. I don't have my comparison documents on hand to see what else, but there were probably some larval stages of insects that got lumped together, at least for quick on-the-spot comparison.

User avatar
Raven
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: February 25th, 2016, 4:01 pm
Division: C
State: -

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Raven » February 3rd, 2017, 9:08 am

Skink wrote:
RareKyurem wrote:Hi guys! I'm having trouble identifying species because so many of them look alike. I'm making a document on which species look like. Which species do you guys most generally mix up?

It's mostly similar-looking generic (yeah, I went there) grasses, maybe the beetles. I don't have my comparison documents on hand to see what else, but there were probably some larval stages of insects that got lumped together, at least for quick on-the-spot comparison.


This is going by the Nationals list:
- the two pine shoot beetles
- the two longhorned beetles
- the two mussels
- giant vs common reed
- the milfoils

On the Pennsylvania list:
- the honeysuckles.......
- the knotweeds

If you are making an ID guide, make it like a dichotomous key, have all the warm-colored flowers on one page, all the pointy leaves on another page, etc.
Oak nuggets.

User avatar
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 277
Joined: February 28th, 2015, 7:49 am
Division: C
State: VA
Location: TJHSST

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby dragonfruit35 » February 3rd, 2017, 12:00 pm

Raven wrote:
Skink wrote:
RareKyurem wrote:Hi guys! I'm having trouble identifying species because so many of them look alike. I'm making a document on which species look like. Which species do you guys most generally mix up?

It's mostly similar-looking generic (yeah, I went there) grasses, maybe the beetles. I don't have my comparison documents on hand to see what else, but there were probably some larval stages of insects that got lumped together, at least for quick on-the-spot comparison.


This is going by the Nationals list:
- the two pine shoot beetles
- the two longhorned beetles
- the two mussels
- giant vs common reed
- the milfoils

On the Pennsylvania list:
- the honeysuckles.......
- the knotweeds

If you are making an ID guide, make it like a dichotomous key, have all the warm-colored flowers on one page, all the pointy leaves on another page, etc.


Also
-whitetop, hairy whitetop, giant hogweed
-some of the thistles look pretty similar

What two pine shoot beetles? As far as I know there is only the common pine shoot beetle (national list). Are you talking about the spruce bark beetle by any chance?

2018
(VT/FFX/Reg/States/Nats)
MV 1/1/5/-/- Mission 3/4/4/-/- Herp 7/2/4/-/-
WiFi -/-/-/4/13 Indoor Bottle Rocket -/-/-/1/- Code -/-/-/-/1

2019
(Duke/Reg/Cornell/States/Nats)
MV 2/3/7/3/10 Mission 3/7/- Sounds 4/2/- Code 3/1/1/1/5 Herp -/-/11/1/26


Goooooooo Colonials!!!

RareKyurem
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: January 21st, 2017, 4:25 pm
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby RareKyurem » February 3rd, 2017, 5:58 pm

dragon_fruit35 wrote:
Raven wrote:
Skink wrote:It's mostly similar-looking generic (yeah, I went there) grasses, maybe the beetles. I don't have my comparison documents on hand to see what else, but there were probably some larval stages of insects that got lumped together, at least for quick on-the-spot comparison.


This is going by the Nationals list:
- the two pine shoot beetles
- the two longhorned beetles
- the two mussels
- giant vs common reed
- the milfoils

On the Pennsylvania list:
- the honeysuckles.......
- the knotweeds

If you are making an ID guide, make it like a dichotomous key, have all the warm-colored flowers on one page, all the pointy leaves on another page, etc.


Also
-whitetop, hairy whitetop, giant hogweed
-some of the thistles look pretty similar

What two pine shoot beetles? As far as I know there is only the common pine shoot beetle (national list). Are you talking about the spruce bark beetle by any chance?

I think the two pine shoot beetles are the Common Pine Shoot Beetle and the European Spruce Bark Beetle. How do you tell the difference between the Asian Long-Horned Beetle and the Citrus Long-Horned Beetle?
2017 Events: Invasive Species, Microbe Mission, Helicopters

CVMSAvalacheStudent
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 8:49 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Listening to the most boring lecture

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby CVMSAvalacheStudent » February 3rd, 2017, 7:10 pm

gryphaea1635 wrote:Is there a website where I can find up-to-date distribution maps? A lot of maps I've found online have conflicted with each other.

Sorry I replied two years late, at least this will help others. The USDA provides an accurate map for the distribution of Invasive Species.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

CVMSAvalacheStudent
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 8:49 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Listening to the most boring lecture

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby CVMSAvalacheStudent » February 3rd, 2017, 7:11 pm

RareKyurem wrote:Hi guys! I'm having trouble identifying species because so many of them look alike. I'm making a document on which species look like. Which species do you guys most generally mix up?

The water plants are my only weakness.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

CVMSAvalacheStudent
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 8:49 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Listening to the most boring lecture

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby CVMSAvalacheStudent » February 3rd, 2017, 7:12 pm

JasperKota wrote:Last year at states I screwed up hydrilla and brazilian waterweed, realized 10 minutes before the event that my ID pics for the two species looked like the same, but if I had made better notes that wouldn't have happened.

Press this link it'll help: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 4309728648[/url]
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

maxxxxx
Member
Member
Posts: 284
Joined: November 30th, 2015, 8:11 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: CA

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby maxxxxx » February 3rd, 2017, 7:49 pm

RareKyurem wrote:
dragon_fruit35 wrote:
Raven wrote:
This is going by the Nationals list:
- the two pine shoot beetles
- the two longhorned beetles
- the two mussels
- giant vs common reed
- the milfoils

On the Pennsylvania list:
- the honeysuckles.......
- the knotweeds

If you are making an ID guide, make it like a dichotomous key, have all the warm-colored flowers on one page, all the pointy leaves on another page, etc.


Also
-whitetop, hairy whitetop, giant hogweed
-some of the thistles look pretty similar

What two pine shoot beetles? As far as I know there is only the common pine shoot beetle (national list). Are you talking about the spruce bark beetle by any chance?

I think the two pine shoot beetles are the Common Pine Shoot Beetle and the European Spruce Bark Beetle. How do you tell the difference between the Asian Long-Horned Beetle and the Citrus Long-Horned Beetle?


CLB has a rough/bumpy elytra(pretty much a shoulder for wings), while ALB has a smooth elytra. If they just give you a blurry google images pic with an angle where you can't tell, good luck. If that's the case you may have to rely on having a lot of pictures of each in your binder in hopes that they match the picture you're given. A good ES will know these differences and be able to provide a good picture, but that won't always happen.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

RareKyurem
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: January 21st, 2017, 4:25 pm
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby RareKyurem » February 3rd, 2017, 8:43 pm

Thanks guys!
2017 Events: Invasive Species, Microbe Mission, Helicopters

RareKyurem
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: January 21st, 2017, 4:25 pm
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby RareKyurem » February 4th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Hi guys! I was looking at a test on Invasives and a slide showed up. I didn't know what it was and it turned out to be a sea lamprey. https://scioly.org/wiki/images/1/1e/Och ... _key_3.pdf

The picture is on slide 23. What part of the Sea Lamprey is that thing?
2017 Events: Invasive Species, Microbe Mission, Helicopters

User avatar
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 182
Joined: October 22nd, 2015, 8:01 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: WEHS

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby JasperKota » February 4th, 2017, 3:58 pm

RareKyurem wrote:Hi guys! I was looking at a test on Invasives and a slide showed up. I didn't know what it was and it turned out to be a sea lamprey. https://scioly.org/wiki/images/1/1e/Och ... _key_3.pdf

The picture is on slide 23. What part of the Sea Lamprey is that thing?


It's the skeleton of the sea lamprey.
2019 Events: Wright Stuff, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fossils
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Invasives, Wright Stuff, Ecology
2016 Events: Invasives, Dynamic Planet, Crave the Wave

CVMSAvalacheStudent
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 8:49 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Listening to the most boring lecture

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby CVMSAvalacheStudent » February 7th, 2017, 9:18 pm

JasperKota wrote:
RareKyurem wrote:Hi guys! I was looking at a test on Invasives and a slide showed up. I didn't know what it was and it turned out to be a sea lamprey. https://scioly.org/wiki/images/1/1e/Och ... _key_3.pdf

The picture is on slide 23. What part of the Sea Lamprey is that thing?


It's the skeleton of the sea lamprey.


This was the only thing that messed me up.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

smurphy00
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: September 6th, 2016, 4:30 pm
Division: C
State: OH

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby smurphy00 » February 14th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Shoutout to Animal Diversity Web from the University of Michigan's Museum of Zoology. They don't have nearly all of the animal species, but they have a few invertebrates and a few aquatic animals, and the ones that they do have are extremely detailed and very helpful, especially as tests dive into more detailed questions. Just another useful source for this event.
2018 Events
Herpetology / Ecology / Towers / Forensics / Microbe Mission


Return to “2017 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest