Invasive Species B/C

Joycegu99
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: September 6th, 2016, 8:13 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Being Invasive

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Joycegu99 » February 19th, 2017, 6:13 am

Shout out to Upenn for putting sounds on their invasive test yesterday! :o definitely threw a lot of people off
Harriton High School

2016-17:
UGA/Forsyth Central/Brookwood/MIT/Regionals/State/Nationals
Team Spirit (Individual): 1/3/2/14/3//
Crave the Minerals: 11/-/1/13/-/-/
Wright it Do it: 3/1/-/2/2//
Invasive Rocks: -/-/4/11/5//
Remote Planet: 8/1/-/13/1//
Picture That: 12/2/18/16/4//

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1289
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby windu34 » February 19th, 2017, 6:33 am

Joycegu99 wrote:Shout out to Upenn for putting sounds on their invasive test yesterday! :o definitely threw a lot of people off

Wow that's rare. Care to elaborate (which species)?
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT - Mission Possible
Harvard - Sounds of Music
Princeton - Herpetology
Nationals - Circuit Lab

Joycegu99
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: September 6th, 2016, 8:13 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Being Invasive

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Joycegu99 » February 19th, 2017, 7:06 am

windu34 wrote:
Joycegu99 wrote:Shout out to Upenn for putting sounds on their invasive test yesterday! :o definitely threw a lot of people off

Wow that's rare. Care to elaborate (which species)?


Nutria (I think? Haven't looked at the answer key yet) and Asian tiger mosquito
Harriton High School

2016-17:
UGA/Forsyth Central/Brookwood/MIT/Regionals/State/Nationals
Team Spirit (Individual): 1/3/2/14/3//
Crave the Minerals: 11/-/1/13/-/-/
Wright it Do it: 3/1/-/2/2//
Invasive Rocks: -/-/4/11/5//
Remote Planet: 8/1/-/13/1//
Picture That: 12/2/18/16/4//

Derek
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: February 20th, 2017, 8:36 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Derek » February 20th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Yep, Nutria and Asian Tiger Mosquito were correct! Thanks for coming to SOUP. Hope you guys enjoyed the test!
SOUP Event Supervisor

Random Human
Member
Member
Posts: 152
Joined: August 26th, 2016, 11:39 am
Division: C
State: -
Location: Right behind you
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Random Human » February 20th, 2017, 9:41 pm

Derek wrote:Yep, Nutria and Asian Tiger Mosquito were correct! Thanks for coming to SOUP. Hope you guys enjoyed the test!

What? The specs say that you can have sounds understood. But how are you suppose to study this? We never encountered sounds before, this is interesting. What if they pull this on us at nats? Anyone have any ideas?
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.

Derek
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: February 20th, 2017, 8:36 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Derek » February 20th, 2017, 10:20 pm

Try going through all the species on your list and see if you can find a sound for them. A lot of them don't have sounds (actually most of them don't). Most of the animal sounds are distinct enough that you shouldn't have any problem IDing.
SOUP Event Supervisor

maxxxxx
Member
Member
Posts: 284
Joined: November 30th, 2015, 8:11 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: CA

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby maxxxxx » February 21st, 2017, 4:26 am

Random Human wrote:
Derek wrote:Yep, Nutria and Asian Tiger Mosquito were correct! Thanks for coming to SOUP. Hope you guys enjoyed the test!

What? The specs say that you can have sounds understood. But how are you suppose to study this? We never encountered sounds before, this is interesting. What if they pull this on us at nats? Anyone have any ideas?


Well when the first slide with a sound clip came up, everyone in the room rushed to put down Nutria before the sound even played. And for the other one, the questions helped for context, as someone(who ended up doing very well on that test) excitedly pointed out to me after the test.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1289
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby windu34 » February 21st, 2017, 4:28 am

I don't see how you could include sounds in a station-run format and nats will almost certainly be stations
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT - Mission Possible
Harvard - Sounds of Music
Princeton - Herpetology
Nationals - Circuit Lab

User avatar
John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 728
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 10:54 am
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: Robinson Twp.

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby John Richardsim » February 21st, 2017, 4:40 am

windu34 wrote:I don't see how you could include sounds in a station-run format and nats will almost certainly be stations

A couple of years ago for Crave the Wave the ES played the audio files for all teams at the very start of the event before we began the regular stations.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 947
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Skink » February 21st, 2017, 8:50 pm

windu34 wrote:I don't see how you could include sounds in a station-run format and nats will almost certainly be stations

Oh, that's easy. Get any MP3 player (handheld device, PC, or whatever) and a pair of headphones, maybe two with a splitter. I think teams really enjoy AV stations because they're changes of pace; I ran one at State last season for a different event, and the results were fantastic. I have, in the past, done the "demo" station John noted with sets of speakers, but I'm less fond of that set-up. You're at the mercy of the acoustics of the room.

User avatar
John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 728
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 10:54 am
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: Robinson Twp.

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby John Richardsim » February 23rd, 2017, 8:04 pm

Skink wrote:Oh, that's easy. Get any MP3 player (handheld device, PC, or whatever) and a pair of headphones, maybe two with a splitter. I think teams really enjoy AV stations because they're changes of pace; I ran one at State last season for a different event, and the results were fantastic. I have, in the past, done the "demo" station John noted with sets of speakers, but I'm less fond of that set-up. You're at the mercy of the acoustics of the room.

Hmmm, I think I would be too afraid to use headphones due to the risk of lice n' stuff.

...Afraid to use headphones from an ES perspective, that is. As a competitor, I would just shut up and put on the headphones and win.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1289
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby windu34 » February 25th, 2017, 5:50 pm

How/Where can I learn about formulating control plans given a set of conditions? I was thinking the best way would be to read a ton of case studies, but I don't know where/how I would find those either
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT - Mission Possible
Harvard - Sounds of Music
Princeton - Herpetology
Nationals - Circuit Lab

User avatar
John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 728
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 10:54 am
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: Robinson Twp.

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby John Richardsim » February 27th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Aha! I didn't miss NISAW this year!

http://www.nisaw.org/
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1289
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby windu34 » February 28th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Are you guys taking the time to learn the anatomy/physiology of fungi? There is a large amount of unfamiliar terminology involving fungi that I never have seen tested. Most tests only touch on the transmission vectors and basic environmental/economic effects rather than in-depth understanding of the anatomy and life cycle from what I have seen (not to mention fungi stations are rare in general)
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT - Mission Possible
Harvard - Sounds of Music
Princeton - Herpetology
Nationals - Circuit Lab

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 947
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Skink » February 28th, 2017, 7:33 pm

windu34 wrote:Are you guys taking the time to learn the anatomy/physiology of fungi? There is a large amount of unfamiliar terminology involving fungi that I never have seen tested. Most tests only touch on the transmission vectors and basic environmental/economic effects rather than in-depth understanding of the anatomy and life cycle from what I have seen (not to mention fungi stations are rare in general)

Did you mean to post this in Microbe? Reading your sig, it looks like you didn't...let me flip the question around. Have you taken the time to learn the life cycles of the insects in detail? All the grasses and trees? I'd let that guide you. Since this is an ecology event, we're interested in life cycles (primarily...) insofar as they impact other organisms. As an easy example, doesn't the pink bollworm get its name because the larval stage is the one that tears apart the bolls? I don't know if the fungi have examples like that because I didn't make those pages (and otherwise lay no claim to being a mycomaster), but, at your level, I wouldn't let terms like conidia/mycelia/hyphae/etc. sting you if they're relevant to the couple organisms on the list. We shy away from fungi because they're so different, but that's what makes them interesting.


Return to “2017 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest