Invasive Species B/C

karissagarcia
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: January 9th, 2015, 8:41 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby karissagarcia » March 9th, 2017, 10:20 pm

So I know a lot of teams use sheet protectors for their binders, but does anyone have any other suggestions for making the pages turn easier
?

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1191
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby windu34 » March 10th, 2017, 4:08 am

karissagarcia wrote:So I know a lot of teams use sheet protectors for their binders, but does anyone have any other suggestions for making the pages turn easier
?

Tabs
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3623
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Unome » March 10th, 2017, 7:35 am

windu34 wrote:
karissagarcia wrote:So I know a lot of teams use sheet protectors for their binders, but does anyone have any other suggestions for making the pages turn easier
?

Tabs

Also, using less pages really helps. Even with Invasives having a lot of info for each specimen (compared to Fossils), you shouldn't need more than one page for the vast majority of them. Your entire binder really doesn't need to be more than around 70 pages front and back in sheet protectors.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

gavinnupp
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 5:04 am
Division: C
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby gavinnupp » March 12th, 2017, 9:46 pm

what do you all think about questions asking the number of eggs/seeds an organism produces? seems ambiguous..

Unome wrote:
windu34 wrote:
karissagarcia wrote:So I know a lot of teams use sheet protectors for their binders, but does anyone have any other suggestions for making the pages turn easier
?

Tabs

Also, using less pages really helps. Even with Invasives having a lot of info for each specimen (compared to Fossils), you shouldn't need more than one page for the vast majority of them. Your entire binder really doesn't need to be more than around 70 pages front and back in sheet protectors.


agreed. Mine is 33 front and back, including lots of free space for notes. depending on the test, and the efficacy of your partner, speed/quick reference is the name of the game.
Certified Enviro-nerd
Ecology, Invasive Species, R&M (R/S '17)
3/2
1/~
2/~

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 940
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Skink » March 13th, 2017, 4:35 am

gavinnupp wrote:what do you all think about questions asking the number of eggs/seeds an organism produces? seems ambiguous..

It's not too ambiguous, as the best references offer a rough number or range, anyway. Provided you fall within the range, you should earn credit. Now...it's not a good question, anyway, because all it requires is copying from the binder, but you should be prepared for it, definitely.

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1191
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby windu34 » April 2nd, 2017, 5:33 pm

Does anyone have any resources or suggestions to help with questions such as: "Devise a control plan to manage _________ ". I cant find any resources online (including research papers) that could help me formulate a management plan with a timeline (when different controls would be used)
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

alleycat03
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: January 23rd, 2017, 1:31 pm
Division: C
State: KS
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby alleycat03 » April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Does anyone know what to expect from this event at nationals? I read a few pages back that there might be stations? I'm assuming since it is nationals that the questions will be pretty difficult, but is there something specific that we should definitely be studying?
Olathe North Science Olympiad
Class of 2018
Forensics, Herpetology, Ecology, and Mousetrap Vehicle

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 940
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Skink » April 4th, 2017, 6:14 pm

windu34 wrote:Does anyone have any resources or suggestions to help with questions such as: "Devise a control plan to manage _________ ". I cant find any resources online (including research papers) that could help me formulate a management plan with a timeline (when different controls would be used)

My opinion only: questions of this type are asking for which control measures (from among, often times, many, because the academic/professional pieces cite specific chemical or biological agents in far more detail than you'd otherwise ever need) you'd select and why. It's asking you to generate and defend an argument on the subject at hand; it's only wrong if the control measure(s) doesn't apply or you don't (adequately) support your decision. It would seem to me that applying a specific timeline is an unrealistic expectation. Have you seen questions like this that asked for a very specific plan in the key?

I'd comment on last season's National test, but my CD is locked in my drawer at school. If nobody else says anything, I'll try to pop it in tomorrow and take a look.

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1191
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby windu34 » April 4th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Skink wrote:
windu34 wrote:Does anyone have any resources or suggestions to help with questions such as: "Devise a control plan to manage _________ ". I cant find any resources online (including research papers) that could help me formulate a management plan with a timeline (when different controls would be used)

My opinion only: questions of this type are asking for which control measures (from among, often times, many, because the academic/professional pieces cite specific chemical or biological agents in far more detail than you'd otherwise ever need) you'd select and why. It's asking you to generate and defend an argument on the subject at hand; it's only wrong if the control measure(s) doesn't apply or you don't (adequately) support your decision. It would seem to me that applying a specific timeline is an unrealistic expectation. Have you seen questions like this that asked for a very specific plan in the key?

I'd comment on last season's National test, but my CD is locked in my drawer at school. If nobody else says anything, I'll try to pop it in tomorrow and take a look.

This question was from last years nationals. There was no answer key for this station so I'm assuming the supervisor had his own method to grade it or didn't want to release the rubric to the competitors following the tournament
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

User avatar
John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 681
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 10:54 am
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: R12
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby John Richardsim » June 20th, 2017, 5:53 am

"Not at all boy!"

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice


Return to “2017 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest